How do you figure out the actual capacity of your batteries?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
By knowing the actual capacity of a new battery, we can know whether the battery is overstated.
By knowing the actual capacity of some used batteries, we may also know when the batteries are in need of replacement before anything strange happens.
So how do you figure out the actual capacity of your batteries and how do you know when your batteries are in need of a replacement?
Share your thoughts or ideas with others and please feel free to make any comments or discussions here!

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
an excellent idea...i wonder the same thing...i have some smart chargers with lcd screens and it shows voltage and capacity but while charging, the question is how long batteries are keeping charge and voltage when's out of charger for couple of days...

i have found some voltcraft battery tester which shows voltage and capacity immediately but it is hard to get one online if you don't have conrad electronics in your country ( voltcraft is conrad exclusive brand)...i would like to hear some other ideas how to be sure batteries are ready for recycling?

ven

Flashaholic
I dont have the patience nor interest to test all my cells regular..........i honestly dont care because once they dont perform as they should they get recycled. How can i tell? well pretty easy, after many charge cycles the cells dont last as long in use and when placed on a charger(or use of a MM) the voltage is lower . Be it vape cells(real easy to tell when a cell is not performing) or flashlight cells.

Voltage readout on chargers is a must , if it does not read the V then its not for me..........

So rather than wait for many hours for full tests, i simply go off my uses and how long the cells last and what the V is when charging over set (rough) times. Vape cells , well i use an 18650 INR, vape on way to work, breakfast, dinner and on the way home. Every day...........pretty easy as if it does not last me till i get home , its under performing. Usually around 12m or so (dont use same cell, rotate many).

It is still a feature i like, only used it a handful of times, refresh type modes have also been used but not frequent.

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
btw, what parameters we have to know to conclude that battery is dead/near the end of its life? i've seen that some battery checkers are reading voltage only, but is it enough for any conclusion? for example, i have some properly charged eneloop, read the voltage after several days and it says, say, 1.1 V...does it mean this battery is ready to be thrown off? or do we have to know something more...i've seen that some battery testers are reading capacity as well, is it important as well?

@ven

i have smart charger which reads voltage, but for example i have one white AA eneloop which charger refuses to charge, it says defect in any slots...but, the same battery is charged normally in ikea ladda charger...thing is, how do i know is this battery good or bad if charger refuse to do voltage readout?

ven

Flashaholic
If one charger is charging, another not so and the cell works, then good to go imho. If it is the one in the paragraph above showing 1.1v after a few days, then good to recycle unless you want to use in something like a remote control(something with very low drain).

If it is not that cell you referred to , charge in other charger, check the V by a MM or just use and see how the cell lasts, if your getting only 1/2 the run/use time then recycle (example).

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I let my Xtar VC4 do all of that calculating. If I have a cell that is underperforming by 50% it gets relegated to another duty.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I let my Xtar VC4 do all of that calculating. If I have a cell that is underperforming by 50% it gets relegated to another duty.

Does it show capacity though? I thought that was just the calculated charge in mAh it has gained.

Capolini

Banned
Like VEN...... I can tell by performance and also by its resting voltage several hours or days after a charge.In addition older batteries will no longer take a full charge or drop voltage very quickly after removal from the charger. That is all I need to know.

I can also use my Opus BT-C3100 and test capacity.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Like VEN...... I can tell by performance and also by its resting voltage several hours or days after a charge.In addition older batteries will no longer take a full charge or drop voltage very quickly after removal from the charger. That is all I need to know.

I can also use my Opus BT-C3100 and test capacity.

I edited this IMMEDIATELY after initial post. It took so long[2 minutes] to re post it that it showed that I edited it when normally it gives you 1 minute or so before that happens! Coming from a man who has done a lot of editing and knows the system.

It has been like this on/off for about 1 year.