The UKs WWII Resistance Units

Gunner P

Newly Enlightened
For a few years now I have been interested in a little known military organisation called the Auxiliary Units.
"Auxiliary Units" was the innocuous codename given to a force of civilian volunteers intended to carry out sabotage, guerrilla warfare and spying from behind the enemy lines in the event of a successful German invasion of the British Isles during World War 2.
They would have emerged at night from their underground O.B s (Operational Bases) to carry out attacks and acts of sabotage against enemy targets (supply dumps, railway lines, convoys and enemy occupied airfields)
Most O.B's were destroyed at the end of the war, although the remains of many still exist throughout the country.
I have located five so far in the Lincolnshire area. This was my last find.
Entrance is via a breeze block passage and a shaft exists at one end of the shelter. There are remains of intact wiring associated with the radio chamber and internal brick divisions. A local story has it that a farmer living just to the E of this hide had a cellar containing guns and explosives until he went into hospital between 10 and 20 years ago. The bomb disposal experts were called in to deal with the explosive. The shelter was apparently opened quite recently and many bunks were still intact until the site was vandalised. It has now been cleaned up.
Picture077.jpg

Located in woodland in the North East of the county, it was quite hard to locate.
Picture079.jpg

jk.jpg

Picture082.jpg

I wonder how many people have walked/ridden down this track, not knowing there was a hidden chamber underneath. I certainly did (And I was looking for it!!)
One hatch is in the wood to the left. The main chamber crosses the path and the exit hatch is in the field on the other side of the hedgerow on the right
Picture090.jpg

Needless to say, the hatch was replaced and is as well hidden as when I first found it.
Its a subject I find fascinating, and history right under our noses that people know so little about. And I hope some of you find it of interest.
The search continues!!!!!!
Gunner P

Gunner P

Newly Enlightened
Heres a couple more I found
A grassy bank on a public footpath on the Fens
th_Picture011.jpg

From another angle
Picture015.jpg

North into the Wolds
a1.jpg

Picture066.jpg

This was in a nearby bush, stamped 1942.
Picture076.jpg

A Large Rabbit hole?
vv.jpg

Not quite!!
nn-1.jpg

l-1.jpg

Gunner P

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome!! great pics, would be super cool at night:D heck could even sleep over with a sleeping bag ..........

They certainly do not look easy to find!

scout24

Flashaholic
Absolutely fascinating. Thank you for sharing! Long ago, but still fresh in the minds and memories... Please share more as you find!

nbp

Flashaholic
Wow is that ever neat! Thanks for sharing with us! Are they usually just empty rooms like that or do you ever find artifacts in them?

Gunner P

Newly Enlightened
Wow is that ever neat! Thanks for sharing with us! Are they usually just empty rooms like that or do you ever find artifacts in them?

The ones I have explored have all been empty. I'm fairly sure that, due to the secrecy of these units, there are undiscovered hides out there somewhere. Having spoken to the daughter of one of its members, she recalls her father handing in weapons and explosives in the 80s.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
The ones I have explored have all been empty. I'm fairly sure that, due to the secrecy of these units, there are undiscovered hides out there somewhere. Having spoken to the daughter of one of its members, she recalls her father handing in weapons and explosives in the 80s.

Get an experienced metal detectorist to hunt with you--that should increase your chances of finding artifacts.

phosphor22

Enlightened
Those are fascinating finds Gunner P - hope to see more of your photos/finds - interesting historical info

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Great post!

Dad spent his late teens early twenties as a member of the guerrilla forces in the Philippines during WWII. You do what have to do in dark times. [emoji58]

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing history. Thanks for sharing and divulging national secrets. :D
It is good that they are not needed. But kinda scary to think that they are a absolute idea. Meaning a whole country can probably now be destroyed by a few key turns & strokes!