Surefire Dominator

LumenKing1

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking about getting the U2 baby Dominator, and the actual Dominator. Can anyone that owns the Dominator chime in and give me your thoughts on this light? 1,000 is a lot of money for a light.:crackup:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have a SureFire UDR Dominator. I've had it for five or six months, and it's insane! It is incredible in every way! Best built SureFire I have ever owned and I've had like 30. I think it has the best selector ring Surefire has ever made! Crazy bright spot and super bright spill! A true pleasure to use!

LumenKing1

Newly Enlightened
You guys are making me have to buy one. Looks like I will be selling that M&P AR-15 I don't like now anyway. It sounds like this will be the king of my small collection. I saw it somewhere for under a grand I can't wait to get it along with the small version U2. I am also going to pick up a PX2 Fury and a Titan Plus to replace my Titan. (125 lumen model)

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire Dominator is a great light. I also have one and like it very much. But it is not the best EDC light ;) The UM2 is also a very nice light. But phrase "Baby Dominator" is not a name given by Surefire, I'd assume Arms Unlimided named the UM2 with this additional name. This "Baby Dominator" is also not stated in the lights manual. There the light is only named "Surefire UM2 Ultra". Here you can find some picures I took from my UM2 and all the stuff I got (unfortunately the text is in german):
http://www.messerforum.net/showthre...iew-Die-Lampe-die-es-nicht-gibt-oder-nun-doch

Here is also a very nice thread about the UM2 at CPF:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?410582-Surefire-UM2-Ultra

LumenKing1

Newly Enlightened
I hope it has good throw. I don't need a TN40 but would like to light something up 400-500 yards away, is this thing going to do that?

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UDR Dominator will definitely light things up over 500 yards away! It spots things that are hard to see clearly in the daytime! Make sure you get a nice Pelican case to store it in. I have the IM2100 storm case, and The dominator fits nicely with all the accessories, plus room for a smaller light, like the UM2.

Anita

Newly Enlightened
Have one here as well. It is a good light, but its rechargeable battery leaves a lot to be desired (especially given the overall size and weight of the light).

I do also own the UBR-B and UNR-B however and I can easily say that when comparing the UDR-A vs UBR-B vs UNR-B, the UNR-B Commander is by a big margin my favourite of the three.

It has excellent spill and throw (the UBR-B Invictus doesn't have enough spill for my liking) and a very beautiful beam.

You can also run both the UBR-B and UNR-B at full output (1,000 lumens) non-stop without much of an issue. The UDR-A only runs at 2,400 lumens for about two minutes before it overheats and lowers to around 1,000 lumens I think.

Also I really like the funky tail cap of both the UBR-B and UNR-B.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is true that the dominator steps down to 1200 lumens after a few minutes, but even at 1200 lumens, (50min runtime) it out-throws a UBR or UB3T (I have the UB3T) by a long shot! Even at the 640 lumen setting, it out-throws my UB3T! If reaching out hundreds of yards is your goal, then the Dominator is your light! I personally never use my dominator long enough to burn through the battery, but of course each person will have different uses. The UNR, UBR, UB3T, and UDR dominator are all great lights! The Dominator just.... "Dominates!"

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
I have the UDR and I use it every day. It is an incredible light. You can find it for substantially less than advertised price if you spend some time researching.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I love mine. Incredible quality but kind of big. Unfortunately I paid the full $1,370. Don't regret it though.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I love mine. Incredible quality but kind of big. Unfortunately I paid the full $1,370. Don't regret it though.

Sometimes you just have to roll with the price. You get the product that you want at the price you're prepared to pay on the day.

I'm sure you are well pleased with the Dominator and you'll be enjoying it long after you've forgotten the cost.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the rechargeable battery is built from some standard cells? I am just wondering if it can be replaced after Surefire decides to stop making them in the future...

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bumping this thread.
- Has anyone tried to disassemble the rechargeable battery? I am wondering if the battery can be refurbished in the future (or replaced with better cells).
- Does Surefire sell replacement rechargeable batteries? (in case I want to bring a backup with me)

Zak

Enlightened
This catalog claims 165,000cd for an older 2000 lumen version. This review measures 216,491cd for the current 2400 lumen version.

Surefire is a bit of a polarizing brand, so I'll just say this: the performance and battery options for the Dominator would be considered very uncompetitive if it came from any other brand and cost $200-300.