Introducing XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Seeking breakthroughs in numerous testing and each product is the result of our effort. And this time we bring you the combination of our effort, the flagship product called DRAGON VP4 Plus! A battery charger that can test your battery capacity and internal resistant, charge 11.1V/3S battery pack and more!

XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus Video Introduction:

What do you think of it? Tell us and we can hear! Thank you!

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus is specially designed for people who pursue superior quality of life, have a strong consciousness of safety and would like to catch fashion.

Looks like an easy to use charger.
I had to repost the opening lines from the link.

stephenk

Enlightened
Looks like an impressive product XTAR, but why show estimated % full instead of voltage during charging? I'm sure that the majority of people who would need an analysing charger would prefer to see voltage displayed during charge.

ven

Flashaholic
Looks like an impressive product XTAR, but why show estimated % full instead of voltage during charging? I'm sure that the majority of people who would need an analysing charger would prefer to see voltage displayed during charge.

+1

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Hi, thank you! You can also test the battery voltage with a pair of probes with DRAGON VP4 Plus.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Xtardirect is offering this charger via pre-order for $89.99 with shipping mid October.

Note that only 2 slots offer 2.0A charge rates which is probably fine as you are only going to fit 2 x 26650s in this kind of charger.

CH1 & CH4: 0.5A/1.0A/2.0A
CH2 & CH3: 0.5A/1.0A

There are lots of little things that irk me enough that I won't buy this charger. Perhaps the next version will be what I am looking for.

Regards

Christian

ven

Flashaholic
I like the direction to an extent, the leads...............these would become an issue for me, storing /untidy. Would i bother plugging them in much after i had used them, it would be cool if you could get the internal resistance from the bays when placing the cell in . Along with the initial voltage readout, also a lower charge rate than 0.5a. I need support for pretty much all my cells if i was to invest this kind of money. My 10440(0.3a) and 10180(0.1a) cells i would like to be able to charge as well. Or maybe just an extra 0.25a setting.............

With 3s support, how about 2s or other options(i use 2s for example), i am paying for a feature that it is unlikely i would use.

I think a vp6 plus(heck a vp8 plus) would be real cool, sometimes 4 bays are not enough for us flashaholics at one time. If i am going to go big, might as well go huge:)

I like it though, just not decided yet..........

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Yeah, it has promise, just not quite there yet for me.

Some of the niggling issues I have.

No display of voltage on the LCD from the slots, I *have* to use the probes.

No apparent calibration possible.

No real charging on multicell packs, just the 3 cell, charge through the balancing port, which is slow, does not account for at least 1, 2 and 4 cell packs, if it going to even be marginally useful.

No automatic charge/discharge to storage voltage such as found on most Hobby chargers.

Low power output for what appears to attempt to make it a viable option to using a hobby charger.

It's rather big. The probes have to be kept around to read voltages....... I would not take it with me to the field to charge my hobby packs, I wouldn't use it at home either, because it does not charge at a reasonable rate through the main power plug on the pack. I, like most hobbyists, have 2 or 3 hobby chargers, just in case one fails or you forget one at the flying field.

Does not charge LiFe cells.

No break-in cycle like the c-9000 has for new NiMH. No multiple cycles possible.

None of these missing or half implemented features are deal breakers for me to use it, I just don't see the value of them, and so I will not buy one.

I think if Xtar wishes to make the charger to beat all chargers, they still have a long way to go.

Last edited:

mogman8

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your opinions on the VP4....I was thinking about getting one but now I think I will pass. Would you mind sharing what charger(s) you do like in use that are in that same category?

Yeah, it has promise, just not quite there yet for me.

Some of the niggling issues I have.

No display of voltage on the LCD from the slots, I *have* to use the probes.

No apparent calibration possible.

No real charging on multicell packs, just the 3 cell, charge through the balancing port, which is slow, does not account for at least 1, 2 and 4 cell packs, if it going to even be marginally useful.

No automatic charge/discharge to storage voltage such as found on most Hobby chargers.

Low power output for what appears to attempt to make it a viable option to using a hobby charger.

It's rather big. The probes have to be kept around to read voltages....... I would not take it with me to the field to charge my hobby packs, I wouldn't use it at home either, because it does not charge at a reasonable rate through the main power plug on the pack. I, like most hobbyists, have 2 or 3 hobby chargers, just in case one fails or you forget one at the flying field.

Does not charge LiFe cells.

No break-in cycle like the c-9000 has for new NiMH. No multiple cycles possible.

None of these missing or half implemented features are deal breakers for me to use it, I just don't see the value of them, and so I will not buy one.

I think if Xtar wishes to make the charger to beat all chargers, they still have a long way to go.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
With 4x32650 in the 4-bay charger, what's the max charge current?
Is it (2+1+1+2)amps or (1+1+1+1)amps?

I think i like this charger.
Because it is new.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
With 4x32650 in the 4-bay charger, what's the max charge current?
Is it (2+1+1+2)amps or (1+1+1+1)amps?

I think i like this charger.
Because it is new.

Charger has max 4A output, so either 2 slots at 2A or either 3 or 4 slots at 1A.

Using your description it would be (2+0+0+2)amps or (1+1+1+1)amps. I am not sure which two slots would have to be used to get 2A in each.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Thanks for the info! 4A max total output is pretty good, i think that's en par with OPUS chargers.

You are welcome. Xtar SV2 will also charge 2 x 2A, but does not have bells and whistles, nor will it do 4.35V, if that matters. I like my SV2 a lot.

Regards

Christian

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am wondering when it will be available at last.

maybe they're waiting for HKJ's test results and feedback before they decide to release it?

he is in the middle of testing it :sssh:

the firmware has to be 100% bugfree or else one gets the version release situation of the Opus

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
It's available for pre-order on GearBest. The most likely hold up is production to meet the expected sales and having them in dealers hands before the selling starts. While HKJ's review is important to us enthusiasts, I'm afraid we constitute but a small puddle in the expected ocean of sales. I would guess that Vapers purchase far more chargers and cells than we do, today. In fact, there's at least 1/2 dozen brick and mortar Vape shops in my city, but no shops dedicated to quality flash lights.

A good or bad review will not stall the release and sales... just look at the last couple of Nitecore chargers that HKJ tested!

Last edited:

stjong

Newly Enlightened
Seeking breakthroughs in numerous testing and each product is the result of our effort. And this time we bring you the combination of our effort, the flagship product called DRAGON VP4 Plus! A battery charger that can test your battery capacity and internal resistant, charge 11.1V/3S battery pack and more!

XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus Video Introduction:

What do you think of it? Tell us and we can hear! Thank you!

Hope the cost for this product itself much cheaper than multi tester and battery charger combined, a great idea product but hopefully not easy to broken, good quality multi tester can be use years without any problem.