Need a new scorpion hunting light

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently using one of the cheap 51 LED models and it works ok but uses 3 AA batts and runtime is fairly short. A p60 dropin would be preferred as I have a Solarforce host and plenty of 18650's. Any suggestions?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well obviously for me I'm going to suggest Malkoff drop ins. You have a choice of outputs and tints (nichia ones are available on illumn.com).
The world is your lobster, though. Cheaper ones from Solarforce, also from EDC+. Then there's custom ones from Vinh, and VOB on here.
Good luck, tell us what you find.
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^A man who knows more about Scorpion hunting than I do, which isn't difficult.
You don't see many up here.
P

Last edited:

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently using one of the cheap 51 LED models and it works ok but uses 3 AA batts and runtime is fairly short. A p60 dropin would be preferred as I have a Solarforce host and plenty of 18650's. Any suggestions?
I found one that just blows away the UV lights that I have now. Even beats the new Nitecore MT1U UV light that I got recently.

It's the 3 watt Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia UV Led Flashlight. I was so impressed that I ordered a second one as a backup after I got my first one. I don't know if I can post the url here but I got it from gearbest.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_277704.html?wid=8

I think that worked. That url shows shipping from an LA warehouse.

Ed

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found one that just blows away the UV lights that I have now. Even beats the new Nitecore MT1U UV light that I got recently.

It's the 3 watt Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia UV Led Flashlight. I was so impressed that I ordered a second one as a backup after I got my first one. I don't know if I can post the url here but I got it from gearbest.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_277704.html?wid=8

I think that worked. That url shows shipping from an LA warehouse.

Ed

I was actually thinking of getting a Nitecore MT1U. It would certainly help me and hopefully the OP, but could you compare the two light and exactly what you like better about the Convoy?

Thanks.

JayHawk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys.

Ed, can you give an idea of runtime from the Convoy? Does it have a fairly wide beam and do scorpions glow well at 20-30 feet? It looks like a viable option.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the nitecore chameleon series of lights. Very very good.

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
I was actually thinking of getting a Nitecore MT1U. It would certainly help me and hopefully the OP, but could you compare the two light and exactly what you like better about the Convoy?
Thanks.
Well, the Nitecore is rated at 900mW and the Convoy is a 3Watter and comparing the two side by side, the Convoy is truly much brighter. Also the Nitecore has a doughnut hole in the beam at very close distances, maybe 6 inches or less. The Nitecore beam does even out beyond 6", or whatever that distance was. I asked for a return RA from Nitecore and they cheerfully said OK but I missed the 30 day window to ship it after I got their OK, so I still have the light now. Also, the Convoy is about 1/3rd the cost of the Nitecore.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ed, can you give an idea of runtime from the Convoy? Does it have a fairly wide beam and do scorpions glow well at 20-30 feet? It looks like a viable option.
I don't actually know the runtime on it since I use mine for only short times to look at something but, since it uses a 18650 battery I would think the runtime would be comparable to any other flashlight which might be run at a mode drawing 3 watts. I've never hunted scorpions so I don't know how well they glow at a distance, but my Convoy does reach farther than the other UV lights I have when shining on fluorescing objects.

I'm not sure how to classify the floodiness of the beam. I don't think I would call it flood pattern. I'm not enough of a UV expert user to know how it compares with all the UV lights that might be available now. I just know it sure "outshines" all the other UV lights I have now, both multi-led and single-led.

Ed

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coherentrays, Next step for you is to order a zwb2 filter for the convoy. It really blocks most of the visible light and compared to the before and after there is a lot. :)

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
Coherentrays, Next step for you is to order a zwb2 filter for the convoy. It really blocks most of the visible light and compared to the before and after there is a lot. :)
Thanks for that suggestion staticx57. After reading several sites it sounds like the Convoy S2+ has a 20.5mm lens in it so I just ordered two of those filters in that size through Amazon.

Ed

Last edited:

LedTed

Enlightened
I don't think a scorpion could carry an 18650 light. There currently are two single AAA UV lights. But, even then, they would be too big for his little claws. Besides, scorpions haven't needed flashlights to hunt for thousands of years. Why would they start now?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
this thread Looking for a UV Light uncovered a few other true 365 UV options, notably the budget priced Convoy S2+ UV, but the CU-6 is 4 times more powerful at 3000mW
1449712430264-P-3590914.jpg

eagletac/sportac 365nm dropin. shows red strip on $100

I believe that one might be 1000mW, making the CU6 3 times more powerful. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...letac-365nm-P60-dropin-vs-395nm-on-some-bills

You can try the new Nitecore MT1U.

this one is 900mW
MT1U_03.png

CU6 is over 3 Times more powerful
CU6_OI.png

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Convoy S2+ UV is rated at 3 watts in its specs making it just the same power as the CU-6 rated at 3000mW.

thank you for improving my education, Both the S2 and the Cu6 are the same power.. Nice!
scorpion.jpg
flashlight.kz_sites_flashlight.kz_files_imce_8856.jpg
30D_0004760.jpg

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Convoy S2 UV is only one mode though?

It would be nice if it were L/M/H.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Convoy S2 UV is only one mode though?

It would be nice if it were L/M/H.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S2 weighs half as much and costs $22
the CU6 is twice as heavy, and costs $100