• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Problem with Olight 16430 RCR123A 650mAh Batteries in S1R Baton

Super90Girl

Newly Enlightened
I have tried contacting O-Light through their online form and also calling them, but have been unsuccessful obtaining support from them.

I recently purchased a S1R Baton, which came with a USB charger and a 163C05 550mAh RCR123A battery. The light and battery work as they should together. I also purchased the charging dock.

So I bought a couple of the 16430 650mAh batteries as spares. They will not charge while in the light, using either the USB cable charger or the docking station. I have to charge them on a universal stand-alone Li-Ion charger I have. They will work in the flashlight after this, but not in turbo mode. As soon as the light goes into the highest lumen setting, it shuts off and won't come on again until I remove and replace the battery, which gives me the impression I am "resetting" it.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Are the 650mAh batteries not fully compatible with the S1R, considering it's information says it uses a "customized" 550mah battery? Or did I get a couple of defective batteries? Do I need to order just the 550mAh batteries, like the one it came with? Please help.

Super90Girl

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so finally goy a hold of someone at Olight, and I'll answer this myself. They pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, although I am in no way learned about the science of Li-Ion batteries and their different manifestations.

The 650mah 16430 batteries are standard RCR, so they don't have the proper circuitry to be able to provide the 'boost' to 900 lumens in turbo mode, which is why the light shuts off and basically disables the battery (over-discharge protection) until it's 'reset' by removing and reinserting. It won't charge in the light for basically the same reason, the circuitry doesn't support it.

The S1R requires the IMR battery, only available in the "customized" 550mAh to operate as intended, or you can use a primary CR123 but you won't get 900 lumens, or you can use another RCR battery like the 650mAH, which will have to be charged in a standalone charger, although if you accidentally go into turbo mode you'll have to remove and reinsert it.

swan

Banned
Whats happening is the Olight 16340 650mah cells are tripping their inbuilt protection circuit because this light requires a high drain cell. The original cell that came with the light is capable of delivering a discharge rate of 5c or 2.75 amps of current. I use AW or Efest which can deliver these higher rates of current.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I would not recommend charging the 16340 Olight 650 mAh batteries in the light as they are NOT meant to be charged in the light. The ONLY battery that can be charged in the light is the customised 550 mAh battery that come with the light.

To be honest, if you have done your research on the light, the best battery to be used with the light is the 550 mAH customised battery that come with the light or other batteries that can deliver a higher discharge rate. Other 'normal' batteries can't deliver the discharge rate required for the light, therefore, can't perform as expected. Hope that helps.

Olightworld

Enlightened
Hello,

I'm glad we were able to answer that for you. You can purchase more of the IMR batteries if you want backups at this link below. Thank you.

http://www.olightstore.com/batterie...ted-batteries/olight-550mah-16340-imr-battery

Ok, so finally goy a hold of someone at Olight, and I'll answer this myself. They pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, although I am in no way learned about the science of Li-Ion batteries and their different manifestations.

The 650mah 16430 batteries are standard RCR, so they don't have the proper circuitry to be able to provide the 'boost' to 900 lumens in turbo mode, which is why the light shuts off and basically disables the battery (over-discharge protection) until it's 'reset' by removing and reinserting. It won't charge in the light for basically the same reason, the circuitry doesn't support it.

The S1R requires the IMR battery, only available in the "customized" 550mAh to operate as intended, or you can use a primary CR123 but you won't get 900 lumens, or you can use another RCR battery like the 650mAH, which will have to be charged in a standalone charger, although if you accidentally go into turbo mode you'll have to remove and reinsert it.

TerranM

Newly Enlightened
As for charging, note that the Olight 163CO5 has a nonstandard extra contact to support charging in the S1R. On the positive end, it has the usual positive terminal in the center, and a negative terminal in a ring outside it. Normal cells won't charge because they don't have the ring connected to the negative terminal, so they don't electrically connect to the charger.

editor

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm glad we were able to answer that for you. You can purchase more of the IMR batteries if you want backups at this link below. Thank you.

http://www.olightstore.com/batterie...ted-batteries/olight-550mah-16340-imr-battery

Hi Olight, would you please recommend a rechargeable battery that I could use in my brand new S Mini Sus flashlight? I have a number of external charger and several existing protected 16340-s, but my S mini drops the high mode after a couple of seconds.

editor

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Hi Olight, would you please recommend a rechargeable battery that I could use in my brand new S Mini Sus flashlight? I have a number of external charger and several existing protected 16340-s, but my S mini drops the high mode after a couple of seconds.

donjo1

Newly Enlightened
Company won't respond about faulty product

To those of you who eventually were able to get in touch with this company, can you tell me how you achieved it? Looking through the Olight forums, the common thread is that they don't respond to customers who have received faulty products, and that they delete Facebook messages which portray them as being unresponsive (rather than using that time to simply respond to their customers).