14500 issues (any thrunite t10 users?)

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

So I recently picked up a thrunite t10 2016 edition. I had hoped it would work with the Olight 14500s I have, however it doesn't. Im assuming this is due to it being more of a flat top style? I do have a Saft 14500 that does work in it, however it doesnt change anything lumen wise.

Ive been looking into some other 14500 models, easiest one I can get my hands on right now is the fenix arb-l14. Anyone have one of these or one similar kicking around? and by chance anyone with the T10? would love to see if there are improvements with a 14500 rechargeable in this light.

Thanks for your time everyone!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is why i'm thinking of getting rid of my t10s. it won't take li-ions. and after my son when thru 48 alkaline batteries this summer I can't bring myself to use alkaline only lights anymore

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is why i'm thinking of getting rid of my t10s. it won't take li-ions. and after my son when thru 48 alkaline batteries this summer I can't bring myself to use alkaline only lights anymore

Why isn't he running Eneloops and a smart charger? You won't get the same output as a li-ion, but you won't be throwing them away.

A lot of protected button top 14500s are pretty long and just don't fit. If you can find one with just the button top added, that might be a better fit.

Chris

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Why isn't he running Eneloops and a smart charger? You won't get the same output as a li-ion, but you won't be throwing them away.

A lot of protected button top 14500s are pretty long and just don't fit. If you can find one with just the button top added, that might be a better fit.

Chris

I'm afraid I'm not to experienced with these style of batteries, would that be more of what the fenix style 14500 rechargeable is?

There is an obvious difference between the olight 14500r as apposed to the regular aa they produce.

I am tempted to drop a bead of solder on the head of the light on the positive terminal and see what happens. The bonus of a cheap light is playing around with it.

I did run some wire just to the head of the t10 coming from pos and neg of the battery and it lights up fine (brighter to) so size design must be the issue.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to Chris Garrettsville

After the first 10 alky batteries I would've already been looking at rechargeable batteries. Most of those who use flashlights regularly should already plan to pursue that route. It's also preventative maintenance as most alkaline batteries leak over time.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid I'm not to experienced with these style of batteries, would that be more of what the fenix style 14500 rechargeable is?

There is an obvious difference between the olight 14500r as apposed to the regular aa they produce.

I am tempted to drop a bead of solder on the head of the light on the positive terminal and see what happens. The bonus of a cheap light is playing around with it.

I did run some wire just to the head of the t10 coming from pos and neg of the battery and it lights up fine (brighter to) so size design must be the issue.

Something like this AW 14500 IMR might be worth a gamble. The T10 has the typical reverse polarity protection standoffs that most lights have. Without a button top, the cell can't make positive contact.

http://www.rtdvapor.com/new-aw-imr-14500-3-7v-650mah/

I think that Keeppower makes them as well.

These Windyfire test out well and have BTs on them, for not a lot of cash:

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_87&product_id=477

Here's HKJ's review on the flat top version:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Windyfire IMR14500 600mAh (Red) UK.html

Otherwise, get a decent smart charger and some Panasonic Eneloop NiMH rechargeable AAs and just call it a day.

Chris

cclin

Newly Enlightened
I've aluminum Thrunite t10 XP-L NW. I use Sanyo 3.7V 840MAH UR14500P

eneloop

Feahnor

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone managed to make the olight batteries work? It's the only decent 14500 in amazon.fr and I'd like to upgrade from nimh.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone managed to make the olight batteries work? It's the only decent 14500 in amazon.fr and I'd like to upgrade from nimh.

Though I have no personal experience with Olight Li-ion cells, I have read numerous posts having isses with them. My understanding is that Olight's cells simply can't handle high loads, and suffers from severe voltage sag. The Saft 14500 primary cell mentioned by OP is also not appropriate for flashlights; they can't handle the drain, thus the OP saw no difference between using one vs. Alkaline.

I recommend what ChrisGarrett recommends above in post #7.

AW IMR 14500 cells are among the best available quality cells, handle high amp loads without issue. I have experience with them, been using them daily for over a year, and I highly recommend them (caveat being LEARN ABOUT THE DANGERS OF Lithium-ion secondary cells, adopt best practices, only use a decent quality smart charger).

Feahnor

Newly Enlightened
Though I have no personal experience with Olight Li-ion cells, I have read numerous posts having isses with them. My understanding is that Olight's cells simply can't handle high loads, and suffers from severe voltage sag. The Saft 14500 primary cell mentioned by OP is also not appropriate for flashlights; they can't handle the drain, thus the OP saw no difference between using one vs. Alkaline.

I recommend what ChrisGarrett recommends above in post #7.

AW IMR 14500 cells are among the best available quality cells, handle high amp loads without issue. I have experience with them, been using them daily for over a year, and I highly recommend them (caveat being LEARN ABOUT THE DANGERS OF Lithium-ion secondary cells, adopt best practices, only use a decent quality smart charger).
Sadly they're not available at amazon, and i'd rather not wait 6 weeks for them to arrive from fastech.

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
I've aluminum Thrunite t10 XP-L NW. I use Sanyo 3.7V 840MAH UR14500P

eneloop

Yep old post but for my A1 V3 archer, My AA V1 Neutron and my TH20 all use a steady diet of the 840 mah 3.7V Sanyo's, they give me the brightness in the TH20 of my much heavier TH10, and my Archer single AA is so close to my bulkier TN-12 I grab it the most! I love lights capable of using 1 AA size Sanyo LiON and getting the compact power house benefits I get from my bigger bulkier and heavier 18650 lights.