• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Flieger Mk. I Torch

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

For the last several months I've been working on what is my last light of 2016 and the capstone to my tenth year making torches.

It's something very new and unique from me – it's the largest light I've ever released (while remaining among the smallest in its battery class). It's extremely bright, at up to 900 lumens. It accepts multiple power plants, from 2xCR123s, 1x18650, or 2x18350s. It's made with a seamless, monocoque case design unlike anything seen before in portable lighting, and feels like a lightsaber in your hand.

Without further ado, I present to you the Flieger Mk. I:

DSC2463_large.jpg

A quick rundown of features:
6AL4V Titanium construction
Monocoque case design with shrouded bezel and tailcap
Multi-power plant, 1x18650, 2xCR123, or 2x18350
Double AR coated sapphire crystal lens
Parabolic reflector
Warm white Cree XP-L LED
Copper metal core LED board
Gold plated copper heatsink & contact surfaces
Gold plated electronic boards
5 Intensities at 1, 25, 100, 500, and 900 lumens
Titanium pushbutton
Water resistant
25mm diameter, 117mm length

fqutTeJl.jpg

My primary objective in this design was to create a torch that could be used at longer ranges and provide more light output than an Aeon; this required an increase in size to adequately manage the heat produced at higher outputs, as well as a larger power plant than a single cell lithium primary.

When designing the Flieger, I decided to start from scratch and evaluate the form from a new perspective, instead of the usual head-case-tail arrangement. What I came up with was a monocoque case design, which merged most features into a single case part – greatly improving strength, durability, and thermal properties by not having a separate head.

DSC2466_large.jpg

I designed the light around the 18650 format, which is my first foray into rechargeable cells, and gives superior performance in almost every way to lithium primaries in this particular application. I've also had custom cells created for me, combining a very high quality 3400mAH lithium ion cell manufactured for electric vehicles with a protection circuit optimized for the Flieger, along with gold coated anode and cathode connections, which are available for preorder with your torches.

Z0ljyYRl.jpg

The bezel and tail are protected by shrouds from the main body of the torch, and the pushbutton on the tail is capped with a titanium dome, which clicks on and triggers each light intensity through a half-press. The clicky is the same "reverse" style seen in the Aeon, and the torch has no mode memory (always starting on low after an it's turned off for a short time).

The Flieger also marks the return of a favorite metal of mine – aluminum bronze – last seen in 2006 with the CR2 Ion. It's strong and corrosion resistant used in marine applications and aircraft landing gear, and has a beautiful golden hue that will patina gently over time.

DSC2456_large.jpg

The Flieger is available for a special pre-order price of $525 in titanium and $485 in aluminum bronze. Preorder pricing will rise at the end of October, and then will reach full price of $595/$550 at the end of November. Expected delivery date late December 2016 – January 2017. You can purchase a Flieger here, and read more about it on the blog.

There are three finishes in titanium – pictured here and on the site are the machine turned version. I don't have photos of the brushed or stonewashed titanium yet, but they will be available before shipping, and you can change your order anytime before it ships for any finish. Aluminum bronze will be polished only.

DSC2464_large.jpg

On a closing note to a long post:
I want to thank everyone here on CPF for having supported my work for the last decade. Starting with the CR2 Ion in 2006, and progressing now to the Flieger, I am thankful for the opportunity to have been able to create a work which I have a passion for and to have a ready audience for it. I have tried with each design to bring something compelling to the table, and over the last year and a half in particular have made a strong effort to elevate the already high design and quality of the torches I've been offering to something much greater. I believe (and hope you agree!) that I have been successful to that end, and that the Aeon Mk. III, Maus Mk. I, and now the Flieger Mk. I, are substantially better in fit and finish, design, and performance, than anything I have previously made. This is something that has only been possible with the work that has come before it, and with the stage set in 2016 with three new models, the coming years will also see continued progress in improving every aspect of torch design to make sure that you truly have the best of the best when you're using a Muyshondt torch.

If you have any questions on the Flieger, please feel free to email [email protected] or post here. I'm greatly looking forward to sharing this new torch with you soon.

Enrique

Last edited:

stateoftheart

Enlightened
Very nice light Enrique, what is the type of driver in it, and are there any runtimes available.?

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
stateoftheart: Thanks! As per usual, the driver is custom. I'll have runtimes available in a few weeks closer to production on one of my 18650s. :thumbsup:

Enrique

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very attractive looking torch! Would you share the specs/dimensions with us? I can't seem to find them listed yet on your blog.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
djans1397: For the benefit of others, 25mm diameter x 117mm length. Added to the first post spec list as well. :)

Enrique

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always enjoy your artwork accompanying your lights. Sets the Muyshondt lights apart from other custom makers. The Flieger looks pretty cool as well.

Eric

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Enrique,

Great looking light! I'm glad you adopted the 18650 battery as it is very abundant now and readily available. May we see more pictures of different angles, and the tail end? I'm curious on how the battery is loaded and how the bezel shroud comes apart. If you have a exploded view, that would clear up a lot. Also, is there a possibility to fix a clip on this light?

thank you,
Joel

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric242: Thanks. :) I have a minor obsession with Art Deco and these projects give me an excuse to have more of it made. I have the posters from each project hanging in my office.

maxspeeds: In this particular case, the 18650 has more energy stored than a lithium primary (on smaller cells primaries usually have more capacity than rechargeables). The higher voltages involved all around also make it tenable to use a driver that can accommodate the higher voltages of rechargeable cells as well, without completely nerfing performance on primaries as happens on single cell designs.

Tail photo:
DSC2457_1024x1024.jpg

The bezel does not come apart. On the tail, you just unscrew the tailcap and access the battery. :)

No clip on the Flieger. I'm working on a sheath with a clip as an option for those who'd like one after production, but there will be none on the light itself. The only place where I could have put a clip in is close to the engraving near the front of the light, but a vocal subset of people seem to get really upset every time someone makes something that is either 1) not "deep pocket carry" and 2) "bezel-up carry" (as opposed to bezel down). That, coupled with the fact that I find a clip to be of nebulous benefit on a light of this size, resulted in this decision. I pocket carry the light, personally.

wimmer21: :thumbsup:

All the best,

Enrique

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never thought I'd see an 18650 light by Endeavour!
Color me impressed and tempted.
Is the LED upgradeable? This looks like it could last a lifetime, would be great if the LED could be replaced as better ones come out.

Could you also tell us more about the driver? I assume it's not PWM :thumbsup:

Enrique, you've out done yourself yet again! I'm not only excited to have one of these, but it will be my first torch in aluminum bronze. Totally stoked!

nbp

Flashaholic
Looks beautiful Enrique, as always! Very interested to see any protos of the clip-sheath.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my 2cents regarding this avant-garde light. Your mileage may vary. :D

30187076421_8cdaa50563_b.jpg

Monocoque design
To add a little to what Enrique has said regarding the thermal benefits. :)

Up to 900 lumens
So, this is no Shadowhawk flashlight. :crackup:
I've tried on a few occasions to pair it with download's Ti Pocket Rocket (9th run, XM-L2), both fueled by EagleTac protected 3500mAh.
What I've found is that the max output difference is noticeable mostly only when compared side-by-side.
Running both continuously on high during leisurely evening strolls in the park (Ambient temp hitting a toasty 31°C/87°F or so, sometimes), the Flieger gets warm whilst the Pocket Rocket head gets almost too hot to touch, necessitating to manually throttle it down to medium.
Back to the FLIR image. Yes, that was taken in the aircon comfort of my room, but the temperature dissipation across the monocoque body of the Flieger in-hand is noticeable.
So whilst "up to 900 lumens" may not seem like a big deal, in the age of 1000+ emitter lumen single 18650 lights, much of the max output for the Flieger is available for sustained periods (more than enough for general tasks).

Form fits function + Useable output.

No Clip
I've discussed with Enrique regarding this and I suppose this is one of the few lights that a clip or CoverTec wheel would mar the clean lines and the symmetry of the shroud design at both the head and tail.
The light is too big and heavy for regular shirt pockets.
Been using a SureFire holster (oversized for this light) - or it tends to plunge irretrievably (just kidding) into the depths of my cargo pants pockets.
Something about the clean lines on the light just makes you want to keep the light in hand, though... :D

Definitely looking forward to the clipped sheath. :)

Mixed Fuel
Got to love mixed fuel lights.
Do I run serial 123s or 18350s?
Usually not, but for emergencies, nothing beats a stash of CR123s.

The Flieger is great for day-to-day illumination tasks.
Not the most lumens or the most throw, but it gets its job done well. And looks amazing doing it.

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_day: Thanks! :) In my (tongue-in-cheek) defense, the light does run on 2xCR123s, too. ;)
The LED is not user replaceable. Given that a new LED would likely require a different/modified reflector, hardware, etc. the point is mostly moot - the expenses to create all that would sooner be better utilized in creating a new light. The light engine does regulate, and is not PWM based.

egginator1: Thanks! Aluminum bronze is a really cool material, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

nbp: It's not ready yet, but I'll share some photos when it is. :thumbsup:

jonwkng: Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Enrique

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small, important update:

Flieger production is now in progress. The ETA remains late-December to early-January. I'm hoping for delivery on the sooner side of that, but as per usual: Time is malleable, quality isn't. I'll post updates occasionally here (and often at www.instagram.com/muyshondtent) as things move forward. :)

At present I'm working on finishing up the last few bits:
I have designed the Flieger boxes, and am hoping to have the artwork wrapped up next week (which won't be seen until they arrive at your door).
The Flieger papers are in progress and should be something pretty special.
The battery box design and box artwork are complete
The battery artwork will be slightly modified from the prototypes shown.

I'll post more news as it happens. :) Pre-orders remain open at muyshondt.net.

Enrique

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just about to say that I might want to change my order to aluminum bronze (if that's even possible) because I expected, among other things, that it would weigh less.

But I stopped... checked... and surprisingly the aluminum bronze version is 39 grams heavier than the titanium... shows how little I know. I only have one aluminum flashlight, but it's noticeably lighter than all of my similar sized titanium. Hmm..

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
wimmer21: Aluminum Bronze is an alloy of aluminum and copper - see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_bronze. It's necessarily going to be heavier than aluminum because of the copper content. I like it a lot better than brass, and it's rather more durable than un-alloyed copper (though I like raw copper, too!).

Enrique