LED Burn-In

doctor__big

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Do LEDs change colour at all after they burn/break in? I bought some LED pot lights from amazon that the vendor said were 3000k colour temperature. When I first received them they seemed bluer than I expected for 3k, more like 4k to my eye. However, after a few months either they've settled down, colour-wise or I've gotten used to them.

I suspect that they have in fact mellowed toward the yellow, as I have another pot light that seemed warmer from the get-go, and these ones appear to have drifted toward that light's colour temperature.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

mds82

Enlightened
LED's should not change color at all over time. I would think you have just gotten used to the color.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good LED's should not experience noticeable burn-in. As I understand it, in the early days of white LED's, there were issues with the phosphors aging due to heat and/or moisture exposure, but I think the tendency was to shift towards blue, not yellow.

Canuke

Enlightened
I'd swear the 6000K GE LED streetlights they installed in Vegas around 2011 in Sun City have shifted from blue-white to a greener tone. Now that I'm in LA and visit occasionally, I notice the difference. The 4000k units in the same area seem unchanged.

Of course, Vegas is an extreme for temperature in the summers...