Mountain Electronics 2000+ lumen pocket rocket!!!

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Not sure if you guys have seen but up on mountain electronics site Richard has a new build. A Convoy S2 18650 but strange it has cooling fins which are not pictured on normal Convoy S2 bodies. One of the builds comes with a triple XPL-HI (4000k). I just couldn't resist with the free battery. I know I can build it myself but Richard makes such nice stuff.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=769

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Make it a quad with 4000K Nichia 219B, and you've got a deal!

Yeah I was thinking about a quad and had all the parts for the quad picked out but the form factor of the p60 would be less EDCable for me. Plus the build I picked out is estimated at 2900 lumens. Richard is pretty accurate so that's good enough for me.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Hey that is a nice light. My first light from these guys,and I am putting my order in.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Hey that is a nice light. My first light from these guys,and I am putting my order in.

Nice I can't wait for mine. FYI there is a pocket clip you can add to your order as well I have the 18350 version of this light that I built in Nichia 219 b but I wanted XPL-Hi version in 18650 cell.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice I can't wait for mine. FYI there is a pocket clip you can add to your order as well I have the 18350 version of this light that I built in Nichia 219 b but I wanted XPL-Hi version in 18650 cell.
Rats I should have checked for that. OK I can pick it up later if I don't have one to fit.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mountain electronics is great and the owner, Richard is great as well.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my light today. Not bad, standard cigar style, nice silver-blue-grey anodizing. The Manker E14 on 18350 impresses me more though, but lets see when I have the battery charged. With the Nichia 219C D280 the hotspot looks like some old CREEs I had where it is a distinctive yellow compared to the surrounding corona. After some burn time that may fade, but right now it can be distracting indoors for closer viewing even on low levels. Longer distances outdoors it is of course much less noticeable. Still not what i would have expected from Nichia.

The battery was installed in the light protected with an insulating film, but the film was too thin and the springs had already cut the insulation so the light was shipped ready to be powered up. I just hit the switch and on it came. Surprised I later opened the light and saw the film covering both terminals.

The battery was uncharged though as expected and just at storage level, so I'm charging it now rather than using a different cell since I want to see how this recommended one performs. With the near empty cell though it dimmed quick, but that can be expected on most cells. I didn't want to play with it much before putting the cell in the charger.

The CREE might be the better way to go with this one.

Now the anxiety of having to wait for the battery to charge, means I likely won't have a chance to really test it until tomorrow night; I don't like to push new cells with a very fast charge.

Anyone else get their light?

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Just got my light today. XPL-HI. I compared to my ZL SC600w MK III. It is significantly brighter in initial testing. Very close to the neutral white of my ZL. I'm charging the battery now and hope I can test this evening on dog walk.

Seems about the same brightness running 10 amp cells. Not sure how it would run during longer burn times. Now time to play the waiting game while charging the battery.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
You guys dont have ready charged cells at the ready, 100m sprint start position behind the mail box?.....................:faint:

:p

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I have a charged NCR18650B rated at 10A and I tried it and it seemed to work fine. Richard from MTN suggested a Sony batter that can support 30 amp current draw. I didn't see a difference in brightness but gonna wait for night testing anyway.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised this thing starts to get warm at Level-4, not hot, but warm. This thing is a bit of a hot-rod... lots of power for a very short time. True it's a bit of a sleeper being in a nondescript cigar style body, but I'm still having a hard time warming up to it. I'm trying though, just have too many other nice ones right now maybe.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Did you get the light with lucidrv2 or bistro? If you have the lucidrv2 you can set any brightness level of the 24 levels. You can also add or remove the amount of levels of brightness in a group. Brightness levels 16 and lower are really efficient anything above is performance.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
my light has bistro. makes no difference though, i found L4 will get quite hot if left tail standing with the ambiant at 19°C. Reducing the output is not a real solution. L3 seems fine, but i find that too low, Dont really want something in between either. This is just a nite for people looking at this light. I'll compare it with EPG version soon as maybe the Nichia produces more heat, but the 219C is supposed to be close to the CREE in effciency. I have to check i actually got a Nichia as the beam does not seem as nice as other Nichia i have.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
My XPL-HI Light does heat up but it's just warm similar to my ZL and besides the thermal regulation is awesome on this light. Almost 3000 lumens, I didn't expect it to run high for long run times.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
KIWeeJM.png

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Looks like the levels for bistro are:
Mode Levels: Moonlight - 2% - 5% - 20% - 50% - 100%

smoking stroker

Newly Enlightened
I just got this light in the mail. I like it alot.. other than being new to this ui.... i finally figured out how to turn mode memory on. Think i know how to turn strobe on and off. But how do I actually activate strobe?

Latest posts