Energizer Weatheready lantern quick review

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
OK guys, this is one I've been wanting to post for a bit now. This is just a quick review of the Energizer Weatheready lantern. It's part of Energizer's Weatheready line-up of lights, marketed at folks preparing of emergencies. They sell them at big box and home improvement stores (I got mine at HD). Compromising output for extended run time, this lantern is definitely better suited to home emergencies than camping. One could probably use it as a tent light or personal area light, but it's still quite bright on low and I feel that there are more compact and practical lanterns for this purpose.

Size%20Comparison_zpsixnrrnca.jpg

A size comparison with some comparable 3D lanterns.

EWR_zpsu6ggkood.jpg

The Weatheready lantern runs on 3 D cells in serial, but also includes a carrier for 3 AA cells along with a trio of alkaleaks (guess which brand?). In a prolonged outage where your D cells are reaching the end of their charge, you can cannibalize batteries from other sources namely TV remotes, toys and other non-essential devices.

UI is a simple click on, subsequent clicks to cycle through High->Low->Nightlight to off. The light is cool white, but not obnoxiously "blueberry flavored". The diffuse globe also helps with this and with an upward-pointing emitter aimed at a very broad cone reflector, the light gets distributed quite nicely. Energizer is a bit vague about some of the specs. Stated output is 180 lumens on high and 50% on low…. so 90 lumens right? Well, Energizers states on their website….

Light output measured from LED at 150 mA rms drive current. Value is only applicable to the LED. Actual device light output may vary.

….which I'm sure is what you figured as well. At any rate, it's definitely bright enough for safety and ambient lighting while riding the storm out. Run time is stated on the packaging as 66 hours (on low?) and 195 hours on their website (which has got to be nightlight mode). No actual IPX figures given, but they say it floats so it's got to be at least IPX7. There is an o-ring where the globe screws onto the fount and while I can't see one in the battery compartment, everything fits very flush and screws down tightly so at the very least it shouldn't be a problem if you drop in in the toilet.

Build quality seems fair. It's all plastic and obviously not designed to take an outdoor beating though the base is composed of quite a substantial piece of rubber. You could probably drop it at least a few times without breaking it. The power button is glow-in-the-dark silicon that sits flush with the surface, but the clicky is a little deeper in a requires a mild bit of digging to reach it. I can only assume the reason is to prevent accidental activation. The bail is comfortable to hold seems reasonably strong as long as you don't start swinging it around violently. There's also a folding hook in the base to hanging.

Now let's look at some inside shots. This thing may not be a bright work light, but it's bright enough to move around your home safely and hang out. It's obviously brighter in person than it appears in the pics, but I hope they help illustrate the way this lantern illuminates interior spaces none the less.

High_zpsnnp2dldj.jpg

High

Low_zpsxv9mbpfx.jpg

Low

Nightlight_zpswqznhrys.jpg

Nightlight beamshot against a white wall. It's much brighter than the nightlight mode on my Dorcy 4C lanterns, but still not the easiest thing to photograph.

Extra%201_zpsgzvpo3s5.jpg

Kitchen shot on High. Lantern is on top of fridge.

Extra%202_zpsd221cuez.jpg

Dining area shot on High (never mind the mess). Lantern is suspended from ceiling hook.

Extra%203_zpsfmcg4079.jpg

Living room shot on High. Lantern is…. well you can see where it is.

So that's the Energizer Weatheready lantern. Bulletproof it is not, but not a bad little guy to have on hand for emergencies. The "duel-fuel" option makes it stand out in my opinion. Also, good overall light distribution and a simple UI, because the last thing you need during a power failure is to have to recall some complicated series of button long and/or short presses right?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Nice review Subterrestrial!

I've picked this up a few times and put it back down because I couldn't justify getting ANOTHER lantern.

3D cell lanterns like this have exceptionally long run times when their outputs are below 100 lumens. It just happens that with dark adjusted eyes, 100 lumens lights an average sized room fairly well as your pictures depict.

IMO most lanterns when outputting 300 lumens or more produce too much glare to be comfortable, and one would be more comfortable with a few lanterns at 100 lumens or less.

These are inexpensive enough that one could get a couple/few of them.

Thanks again! Great job! :thumbsup:

ingineer

Newly Enlightened
Subt; Excellent review, one of these saved our a$$es when Sandy hit here in NJ. this was the most practical solution rather than the kerosene lamp or even the Aladdin or coleman for about 5 days. now have three. very cost effective have other lanterns but this was the best for the house. the 12 volt TV and my 12 volt car jump box also came in handy when the "animals" were stealing generators

Last edited: