Review:Olight X7 Marauder: 3 x XHP70, 4 x(HDC)18650, 9000 lumens;(beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
After Olight showed a prototype early this year, the X7 got into an often discussed and awaited flashlight. Like most "flashies" I was looking forward to the release. Another surprise when the X7 Marauder was launched: the impressive lumen output was increased to 9000 lumens. I'm happy that I received a sample too: To me, this is the most powerful LED-torch I had my hands-on. In this review I'll show you the details, give my opinion and I'll show how the light performs outside against some other torches. So, let's have a closer look at this output-monster!

the Olight X7 Marauder

a compact "lumen-monster"

powered by three XHP70 LEDS

already often discussed

impressive that a light of this size…..

can bring 9000 lumens!

Here are the specifications, given by Olight:

· Uses three top-class cool white CREE XHP 70 LED with a total of 12 light-emitting cores.
· A maximum output of 9000 lumens which is great for strong illumination and minimum output of 3 lumens, which is suitable for long periods of using at night.
· Powered by four 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries of high discharging rate , providing up to 3,000 lumens of output with three hours of run-time.
· Comfortable hand gripping experience given by large square textures on the flashlight body.
· Low-voltage indicator monitors the battery power level while the light is on, which will glow red when the battery power is running low.
· Active Thermal Management: MCU detects the flashlight temperature through the internal thermal sensor in real time, and prevents overheating by reducing the output
· LED: 3 x Cree XHP70 CW
· Max Output (lumens): 9000
· Low (lumens): 3
· Max Run Time (hours): 30 days
· Beam Distance: 313 m / 1026 ft.
· Peak Beam Intensity (candela units): 24.500 cd
· Water Resistance: IPX8 (up to 2 meters)
· Impact Resistance: 1.5 m / 4.9 ft.
· Body Diameter: 2.04 in. / 52 mm
· Length: 5 in. / 127 mm
· Battery Type: 4 X 18650 (High Discharge Current) recommended
· Weight (oz): 1 16.64oz / 472g

And the output specs:

Unboxing:

My light was sent by SkyBen Trade, many thanks for the proper shipping. The X7 Marauder can be purchased in two versions: One basic, without cells; and a kit version, including four dedicated High Discharge Current cells and a four-slot charger. Because the charger wasn't in stock yet, SkyBen shipped the Onmi-Dok and four original cells. The X7 Marauder comes in a nice carton box, that has a magnetic flap. A sturdy and attractive box, with the light and main specs at the front, and further specifications printed at the backside. Because of the protecting foam and the fact that there's enough space inside, this box is a good option to restore the light too. Inside we find the most important parts we need, but the box isn't filled with nice accessories. No spare O-ring, neither a lanyard. But, all-in-all, this box is ok. Please scroll down for a couple of pictures!

I got the X7 including Olight Onmi Dock, dedicated cells and a SkyBen USB-light

the X7 Marauder comes in an attractive and sturdy box

a good option to restore the light

almost all specs and features mentioned

inside: X7 Marauder, manual, holster, car sticker and instructions how to use the right cells

Impressions:

My first impression: what an impressive light! The X7 has a powerful appearance. It's not a lightweight, but feels durable and long-lasting, like other Olights I earlier tried out. The build-quality and the finishing is excellent, no sharp parts found anywhere. Also the anodizing and the laser-engraving is nicely done. The light-blue metallic bezel and the ring around the power button are striking and nice-looking. The lens is clean and the three "orange-peel" reflectors are free of chips. The LEDS could be centered better at my sample. No surprise here that the X7 stands stable, both on head and tail. The X7 has no anti-rolling design: do not leave it on a table when you take care of your lights; it will easily roll off. Hope Olight fixes this issue in future. The threads run smooth while opening the X7 Marauder, and the caps' inner and the tube are well finished. Inserting the cells can't go wrong, thanks to the clear icons both at the cap and in the tube. So, my overall impression of the X7 is a very good one: It's well built and finished and can last for many years. Please scroll down to the pictures to see more details and impressions!

the X7 Marauder, compact but heavy

powerful looks

stable standing

a thick body but little length

easy to control by one hand

a floodlight hidden in your hand!

excellent built and finished

anodizing job well done

two impressive Turbo-modes

nice looking lumen-monster

a look into the head show three XHP70 LEDS

different power options, but HDC-cells strongly recommended

the Onmi Dok charges the cells smooth, but can handle max two

read this carefully!

stiff button, easy to locate

a close-up at the texture and the engraving

no chips found in the orange-peel reflector

a look into the cap

clear icons in the tube also how to insert the cells

the emitter at left side is slight off-center

a close up to the "four-LEDS-in-one" XHP70-LED

nice that Olight has added protected 18650 HDC's at same time to their collection

the X7 fits well in the nice holster

some outdoor shots: the X7 Marauder in the forest

the X7 will create of wall of light there!

thanks to these powerful emitters!

the fluorescent ring helps you to locate the your X7 in the dark (after shutting off)

User interface:

The X7 has a thick body, it has to hold four 18650's and needs therefore a man's hand. But the aggressive knurling ensure good grip. A strange fact is the lack of a lanyard / strap: Olight explains (in answer to a customer question) the light is too heavy for a strap; I really miss it. Thanks to its compact dimensions the X7 is easy to control by one hand, also the power button is easy to locate.

The (big) lights of the "next-generation" need more and more High Drain Current cells. Please keep this in mind, and if the X7 would be your first purchase, be sure to order the right cells too. Olight says the cells need to be at least 8 amps. Good point of Olight that they provide the right cells with built-in protection circuit. Regular protected (Olight) 18650's will work in this light too, but the light won't reach Turbo S. Also there's the risk that you need to reset your X7 to reach Turbo S again. So I have to say: use only normal 18650's in case of emergency!

The interface is not that difficult, and is almost equal to other recent Olights. A normal press for on or off, press and hold to cycle through LOW > MED > HIGH continuously. The other three modes are "hidden": the NIGHTLIGHT mode can only be activated from off, TURBO both from on and off, and TURBO S only from TURBO. I had to get used by this interface, but can say it works fine after some use; and in my opinion it's a thought out-interface. So, it's possible to start the X7 at three different normal modes. When you're in only of these hidden modes, you can cycle to the next by press and hold, just as in the normal modes. Three quick clicks are needed to enter STROBE (both from off and on); for me this is too far away in a stressful situation. Press and hold the button for longer than 2 seconds to (un)lock the X7; I would like to see this a few seconds longer because the risk of unlocking in your pocket will be higher in about two seconds.

All-in-all, the X7 works fine, technically its perfect; but in an updated version I would like to see some things (strap/lockout) changed.

Modes:

The X7 has in total six normal output modes: NIGHTLIGHT > LOW > MEDIUM > HIGH > TURBO > TURBO S. Two direct modes here: instant-NIGHTLIGHT and instant-TURBO (TURBO S is not instant, but can only be activated from TURBO). About the spacing: There's a big jump between NIGHTLIGHT (3 lumens) and LOW (300 lumens), it should be a good option to add an extra mode there. The other modes are well-spaced. One special mode here: STROBE, that has one frequency. The X7 Marauder has a built-in voltage indicator: a red LED warns that the cells need to be recharged. Only LOCK-OUT by pressing and holding the button.

Size comparison:

To me, this is the first light in this lumen-class, so I can't you show direct competitors. I picked some lights that have less lumens, but it shows the compact dimensions of the X7, also it's interesting to see the difference in output later when we'll take the three outside.

18650 High-Drain-Cell, Nitecore TM06, Olight X7 Marauder and Fenix LD75C

Nitecore TM06, Olight X7 Marauder and Fenix LD75C

the heads: 4 x XM-L2(U2) , 3 x XHP70 and 4 x XM-L2(U2) and WRGB-LED

the tails: Nitecore TM06, Olight X7 Marauder and Fenix LD75C

Tint:

The cool white tint of the X7 is ok to me, but like a lot of flashlight-lovers we look forward to a neutral white version. As you can see at the picture below, especially the Nitecore TM06 and also the Fenix LD75C has greenish tint.

Beamprofile:

The three XHP70's create an impressive beam. Big spot, medium corona and bright spill. The X7 has it both: flood and also nice throw; you can light up a very big area with this light. This is really a light that has a "wow-factor" to me when I'm shining around! It's a clean beam: no defects, no PWM detected at any mode. Please scroll down to see how this lumen-monster performs outside!

Beamshots:

As we're used of, starting by projecting the beam at a white wall, distance about one meter away. Because of the big output, I adjusted my camera shutter time to show the beam at better way.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/250 sec, 35mm

GIF:

Going outdoors now with the X7 Marauder! I usually leave my village when I'm testing my big lights, because a lot of people ask themselves what's going on when I light up a complete street. Starting with the six output-modes (and followed by a GIF) here at short until medium distance; as you can see the pictures seem overexposed at Turbo-modes; but that's because the X7 is so bright. Next step is a shoot-out at this location against the Nitecore TM06 and the Fenix LD75C.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm

animation:

The pictures below show the difference between XM-L2(U2) of the Nitecore TM06 and the Fenix LD75C and the XHP70 LED of the X7. The XM-L2(U2) has better throw, but much less output.

the Olight X7 against the Nitecore TM06

the Olight X7 versus the Fenix LD75C

Another location now, the tree line further away. Again the six modes of the Olight X7 shown here, followed by a GIF.

GIF:

The third location is a tree-line in the polder, they show the throw of the three lights. As you can see at these pictures, the humidity was little high at this location. These photos show that the Fenix LD75C is the better thrower, but also that the Olight lights up such a big area!

a GIF of the Fenix LD75C versus the Olight X7

a GIF of the Nitecore TM06 versus the Olight X7

Conclusion:

Like I mentioned earlier in this review: The Olight X7 is maybe the most impressive flashlight I've had my hands-on. I never saw such a wall of light come out of a soda can-sized stock light. The build-quality of the light is again excellent, the finishing very good. I strongly recommend to go for the Kit-version, to avoid problems with not suitable batteries and chargers. I can understand that Olight provides a version without cells because that will make the price more attractive, but now they have to answer a lot of customers questions about dedicated cells, amps and so on… I tried the light using normal 18650's and had to reset my light after it.

The Turbo S is an impressive mode, but only suited for a quick scan. The X7 gets hot in short time and will soon drop down to a lower level. Luckily the High and especially the Turbo has still so much output, that I love that modes over the Turbo S, that I only use to impress.. Maybe therefore it needs at least four clicks to activate it… Also I would like to see also a lanyard in future and an update to the lock-out mode.

So, at the end of this review I'd say: the X7 Marauder is a must-have for flashlight-lovers, but also a good option for those who are looking for a compact searchlight with great performance!

Special thanks to SkyBen trade and Olightworld for providing me this sample!

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
A great review as usual kj75, thanks so much. Mine also has an off centered Led in two wells. It doesn't seem to affect the overall result though. Maybe its more critical in a thrower, not the shallow, op wells that the X7 has.
Isn't it amazing how the LD75C more than holds its own against the X7. The LD75C just does everything well. Mine gets used pretty often, and the colour options are a bonus.

This is the X7 before realigning the LED's
vh4Xu8d.jpg

This is the X7 after realigning the LED's. Not perfect, but better
nE8eYIm.jpg

Last edited:

SonShine

Newly Enlightened
LD75C, where can I find a review of this?

I can not make up mind between the X7, X7R, and the
LD75C. I do not like how you can not replace battery in the X7R. We have bad weather coming. I need a light soon.... tia