Extra hour of darkness

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Now that the Daylight Saving time here in the States is over for most of us (because some places don't change to DLST) I thought it kinda fitting to ask people at a flashlight forum; which do you prefer around this time of year?
An extra hour of darkness in the afternoon post DLST or the lingering darker mornings during DLST?

Oh, and where else on the planet does the time change thing?

I like the darker mornings. It just seems like the pace of the world moves slower when it's still dark at 6am.
Plus after work there is still an hour or two to get things done outside. By 7:30 supper is done, dishes are put away and there's still plenty of flashlight time before bed.

Post DLST it seems like by the time you change out of your daily costume and get into comfy clothes the sun has set.

dave77

Newly Enlightened
When I went to work at 6AM I liked it getting light earlier, now that I'm retired I rarely get up before 9AM so would rather have the extra light in the afternoon.

ven

Flashaholic
I guess many answers may vary on what hours they work. As I am up a little past 5am, it's obviously dark on the way to work. Once in work it's artificially lit, so personally I like it for when I get home. Good to get some extra flashlight use....any excuse. Helping Madison with her animals every night (garage has no electric)has become a new job, good 20m of extra use on top of general around the house stuff. Last night the cl20(always used) and my C2 with nichia triple . Different light every night .... variety is the light of life. Who knows what light will be randomly picked:D

fyrstormer

Banned
I would rather have the extra hour of darkness in the morning instead of the evening. There's plenty of darkness in the evening already, and no flashlight can make up for lack of sunlight.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Extra hour of darkness in the morning.

I loathe DST and it should be done away with altogether. With lighting abilities we have today, almost all work can be done at any hour of the day. IF my task was absolutely daylight dependent, I would accommodate my schedule to take advantage of it. Why make all of society accommodate the need for a few?

scout24

Flashaholic
I will paraphrase an old Native American quote- 'Only modern man can cut two inches off the bottom of the blanket, sew it to the top, and think he has a longer blanket' That said, I wish the clock didn't move, it's part of the natural ebb and flow of the seasons. I hated commuting in darkness on either end of the day during the winter...

markr6

Flashaholic
Driving to work, I couldn't care less how dark it is. I don't like waking up and going to work, so it's already a lost cause. It's just something I have to do.

After work is my time, so I'll take all the daylight I can get to do what I need/want to get done. Besides, it's eventually going to get dark anyway while I'm up no matter what.

What do you need to do in the morning that absolutely requires light?

Here's a few things I can't do in the morning, that I'd rather have light for after work:

1. Mowing the lawn
2. Raking leaves (going to get bad here real soon)
3. Playing with my son (he'll miss out too - playset, sandbox, etc.)
4. Hiking at local nature preserves (open dusk-dawn rules)
5. Any kind of housework (painting, cleaning gutters, powerwashing, etc.)

I can go on and on. I have cut the grass and did yard work with a headlamp before, but it wasn't ideal.

I don't understand how people get "messed up" with the sleep. Even if you "literally lost" one hour of sleep...you telling me you never slept for one hour less one day, your entire life? You get the exact same amount every day of your life? That's what those people are saying.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Amazonians voted to have 10 hour days - would you leave for work and come home in darkness in trade for a three day weekend every weekend?

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Amazonians voted to have 10 hour days - would you leave for work and come home in darkness in trade for a three day weekend every weekend?

I used to work four tens (Tues-Fri). It was the best schedule I ever had. I also had to work at least one weekend a month, as a Guardsman, so it gave me a Monday to recover.

I think DST is the work of the devil!

markr6

Flashaholic

HELL YES!! I'd even take a slight cut in pay for a 4-day work week. Gotta play hard too; you can't make up the loss of memories later in life.

primalgunner

Newly Enlightened
I dislike the short days in general but prefer it light earlier in the AM. Those morning workouts are tough enough some days, when its dark and cold makes it worse.

fyrstormer

Banned
I will paraphrase an old Native American quote- 'Only modern man can cut two inches off the bottom of the blanket, sew it to the top, and think he has a longer blanket' That said, I wish the clock didn't move, it's part of the natural ebb and flow of the seasons. I hated commuting in darkness on either end of the day during the winter...
Not actually an "old Native American quote", but cute anyway.

scout24

Flashaholic
]I found it on the Lakotah tribe website, and was attributing it to them. If it was from somewhere else, please let me know...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Been working extra hours lately on a construction project so that means more time in darkness.

Looking at the positive I consider it a thrill to be getting paid to play with flashlights. :D

Capolini

Banned
I use to hate when it got darker earlier resulting in shorter days.

Now that I am a Flashaholic I have the opposite preference!

I leave about 15 minutes before it gets dark to go on my nightly trail hikes. I like it getting dark @ 5:15 which means I get home earlier and have the rest of the evening.

Going out on the trail in the summer sucks!Not only The heat which is enemy of the lights but also getting dark at 9/9:30 and getting home at 10:30 to 11 PM.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that im on day shift (after 13 years of nights) im glad it gets light earlier in the morning. im surprised that no one has mentioned kids having to wait for their school buses in the morning. surely you'd rather be lighter @ 6:45 instead of 7:45 for them.