Need help buying a 18650/warm/usb lantern for offgrid house

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
I have searched and read about dozens of lights. I think I have it weaned down to a few. I want something that can charge via usb and a 12v solar panel. I would like it to be 18650 batteries and if the led's are warm all the better. I would settle for neutral white but the blue white is hard on the eyes. I like the streamlight super seige but the price is very high and Im not sure its a warm/neutral white. I also like the cr30 light but its crazy expensive as well.

I see a favourlight on amazon that has the nichia led but the price of 19 dollars seems like it might be a cheap chinese plastic junk.

Can anyone suggest a light thats not too costly, well build and has the features I am looking for?

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Was going to recommend the CL30R, but it sounds like you've already ruled that out.

The Goal Zero Lighthouse lanterns come close, but are similarly expensive and I'm not sure about light temperature. The Lighthouse 250 is being replaced by the Lighthouse 400 I believe, so you might be able to pick one up relatively cheap if you wait for it to go on clearance somewhere. Just FYI, it does run on a sealed Li-ion battery. The Lighthouse Mini does run on an 18650 cell, albeit a proprietary one with both poles at either end and these seem to be drying up (at least they're currently out of stock on GZ's website which does not bode well).

Another alternative is to mod an existing lantern to suit your needs. A lot of folks on this forum have done this and can dispense some great advice I'm sure. ;)

angerdan

Enlightened
I have searched and read about dozens of lights. I want something that can charge via usb and a 12v solar panel. I also like the cr30 light but its crazy expensive as well.
Can anyone suggest a light thats not too costly, well build and has the features I am looking for?
Seems like you haven't read enough of the latest currend threads in cpf:
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?405971-Recommendation-requested-Neutral-Warm-lantern-outdoor-yard-use&p=4987935&viewfull=1#post4987935

There's no cr30. Only thing next to this number is the Fenix CL30R.

Last edited:

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened

Renegadethreads

Newly Enlightened
Might really consider if lantern form is really worth it. How about a Zebralight H600Fw Mk III with a parchment shade? Then you can focus the money on the solar charger.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about forget the USB rechargeable requirement for the lantern and buy some 2600 mAh Fenix 18650s with the micro-USB charging circuit built into each cell. They're $12 each right now at the Fenixstore website. This way you can get any 18650 light you want and likely pay less because you won't need the built in charger. You'll avoid all lights with proprietary or built in batteries and open up your options. You'll also have redundancy for charging, be able to swap out a spare when one dies, as well as charge more than one per day. For the light, I suggest the Nitecore 205 lumen LR20 High CRI lantern for $35. Not sure about color temperature of the light but it uses high CRI l.e.d.s which tend to not be bluish.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about forget the USB rechargeable requirement for the lantern and buy some 2600 mAh Fenix 18650s with the micro-USB charging circuit built into each cell. They're $12 each right now at the Fenixstore website. This way you can get any 18650 light you want and likely pay less because you won't need the built in charger. You'll avoid all lights with proprietary or built in batteries and open up your options. You'll also have redundancy for charging, be able to swap out a spare when one dies, as well as charge more than one per day. For the light, I suggest the Nitecore 205 lumen LR20 High CRI lantern for $35. Not sure about color temperature of the light but it uses high CRI l.e.d.s which tend to not be bluish.

If it uses the same emitter as the LA 10 CRI(fairly likely), it is bluish actually. My new LA10 CRI is at least 5000K if not cooler.

angerdan

Enlightened
I want something that can charge via usb and a 12v solar panel. I would like it to be 18650 batteries and if the led's are warm all the better.
If you loose USB, wait for the BLF Lantern Project: Possible SRK-Based BLF-Lantern future GB (18650, 7A3 natural warm white XP-L):
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/44923

If you loose 18650, buy the new Orfos Flare Pro (USB-powered, 3.000K, 700lm):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/739603000/flare-pro-next-gen-light-for-cycling-hiking-and-ru

By the way, what about my suggested combination Solarforce F2 & LT-1?

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
Ordered the fenix 30 lantern and Protected Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh Li-Ion 18650 Button Top Battery × 3 as spares.

Got the lantern for 82 shipped and the batteries for 20 for 3. Great deals on both. Thanks for the advice and help!