Dorcy #41-1058 rechargeable LiIon power bank lantern

Poppy

Flashaholic
A few weeks ago I happened upon this Dorcy USB rechargeable lantern in Kmart. It was the last one in the store in a beat up box and was marked down to less than $20. I almost bought it, but couldn't justify ANOTHER lantern.

At any rate, it looked interesting.

It used similar tech as the Energizer light fusion technology, in that a diffusion panel was lit from the underneath edge, with three or four surface LEDs each panel. There are four panels, so there are 12-16 LEDs.

It is powered by a custom made rechargeable power bank. I checked the Dorsey site and didn't see spare/replacement power banks listed. I don't know if they plan to market them.

Seems like a good concept. For you and I, who have loose 18650 cells lying around, I would like the ability to use them to be an option, but it is not.

Last edited:

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Interesting.... Favourlight makes a "panel-style" lantern like this, albeit with three panels. I've seen one branded as Gentos.

I like that you can remove the battery pack, which is rare. From the pics, it looks like there are two terminals on the top of the battery pack. There must be a way to fab something or adapt something to fit. Maybe you can even pry open the old battery pack once it's dead without destroying the casing? Looks like at least three 18650s would fit.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Interesting.... Favourlight makes a "panel-style" lantern like this, albeit with three panels. I've seen one branded as Gentos.

I like that you can remove the battery pack, which is rare. From the pics, it looks like there are two terminals on the top of the battery pack. There must be a way to fab something or adapt something to fit. Maybe you can even pry open the old battery pack once it's dead without destroying the casing? Looks like at least three 18650s would fit.
Yes,
There are two terminals, that make contact inside the lantern. You can see that they are offset a little bit, and that there is a groove cut into the side of the pack, so that it can be inserted, only ONE way.

I was thinking that it had a three mode, high, med and low, but looking at the box, it only states high, low, off.

I am curious, to know, what voltage comes out of those contacts.