So I am down to 2 lanterns for my choice, super seige and fenix 30

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
Seige has 1000 lumens
Fenix has lower low
Fenix has red
Fenix will auto-step down
Seige will run on full blast without stepping down

Which light do you guys like and why? I need to order one now for our offgrid house.
Where can I get each for the best price?

Fenix CL30R Camping Lantern
TURBO: 650 lumens, run time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
HIGH
: 350 lumens, run time: 9 hours
MEDIUM: 100 lumens, run time: 38 hours
LOW: 50 lumens, run time: 70 hours
ECO: 10 lumens, run time: 300 hours
Impact resistance: 1m
Water/Weather Resistance: IPX7
Light: ??? (appears to be the same or similar to CL25R)
Power
: 3*18650 (button-top only)
Dimensions: 5.4" x 3.7"
Weight: 14.5oz w/o batteries

Super Seige
[h=3]Specifications:[/h]
  • LED: 1 x Streamlight White C4® LED, 4 x Red LEDs
  • Power Source: Custom 8800mAh Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery
  • IPX Rating: IPX-7 (Waterproof, submersible up to 30 minutes under 1 meter of water)
  • Impact Resistance: 2 meters
  • Brightness Outputs:
    • White LED:
      • High - 1100 Lumens - 5 Hours
      • Medium 550 Lumens - 10 Hours 30 Min.
      • Low - 125 Lumens - 35 Hours
    • Red LED:
      • High - 2.7 Lumens - 110 Hours
      • Low - 1 Lumen - 288 Hours
      • SOS Mode - 2.7 Lumens - 230 Hours
  • Dimensions:
    • Height - 7.5"
    • Base Diameter - 3.8"
  • Weight: 1 lb. 14 oz. (including batteries)

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Fenix uses bog standard 18650 cells (no custom battery pack).
Fenix has more than sufficient output for a lantern
Fenix has a better spread of light levels/more usable options.
Fenix is a well known maker who has earned their reputation.

I'd get the Fenix. As to who has the best price.... your guess is as good as mine. I tend to go for service before price most times, so I'll pay more for an item when purchasing from a trusted vendor that offers me after sales service. I have purchased based on price alone, from a distant seller and the last one has taken over a month since the original order to deal with a DOA situation. The amount I saved was not worth the additional hassle. YMMV.

Regards

Christian

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Fenix for every reason kaptain_zero mentioned. Takes either flat top or button top cells, runs on just two or even one and the only reason it steps down from turbo is because the batteries are so close to the emitters and heatsink. It's still plenty of light on high and the light distribution is pretty darn close to a complete sphere, with minimal dead spots directly above and below. The color temperature is indeed the same as the CL25R, not yellow or red but rather on the high side of warm, approaching neutral. One important thing to note is that the CL30R does not in fact have a red mode.

In defense of Streamlight, the C4s they use may be cool but they are lower kelvin than even some of the better CREE and Nichia cool white emitters used in a lot of comparable lanterns. I like my Siege and Siege AA, but when it comes to the Super Siege the sealed battery pack and price are a deal breaker for me.

Price-wise, they're basically the same though I think if you hunt around a bit you may find a coupon for either.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Indoors, a tail standing ceiling bounced flashlight works better for most people, than a lantern. The ceiling acts as a large diffuser, that one is not tempted to stare at. Lanterns typically emit light in a horizontal direction, better than up or down, and they are often positioned at about eye level, either on a table (when seated they are eye level), or maybe a little higher (eye level when standing) in either case, they produce more glare the higher the output. Some lanterns handle glare better than others, I personally have not seen one that does more than 300 lumens without emitting an unacceptable amount of glare, at least for ME.

For whatever reason, perhaps as a moth is drawn to light, it seems that I am drawn to look at the lantern, it seems that I have to PURPOSEFULLY look away from it. Of course once you look at the lantern your night vision is wiped out, and you need more light to see. It's a viscous circle.

Therefore, the 1000 lumen output of the Super siege, is NOT a plus for me.
What is a plus for the Fenix, is that it has multiple modes at 350 and less, (the super seige has only ONE below 500 lumens, @ 125).
Camping experience has shown, (at least for me) that multiple lanterns scattered about @ 100 lumens or less is more comfortable, than one or two at 350 or more.

So, once you make your decision, please report back, how you use it, indoors or out, and at what output levels.

Last edited:

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
Ordered the fenix 30 lantern and Protected Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh Li-Ion 18650 Button Top Battery × 3 as spares.

Got the lantern for $82 shipped and the batteries for $20 for 3. Great deals on both. Thanks for the advice and help!