Skunk Ape Water Moccasin Big Cypress Hike.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
This is my second attempt in as many years to sniff out the Skunk ape. In fact I had an entire wish list including the following:

1. Skunk Ape. Not likely.
2. Florida Panther. Maybe but cats are so elusive.
3. Eastern Diamond back rattler. Maybe.
4. Black bear. Maybe.
5. Coral snake. Not likely.
6. Water Moccasin. Likely.
7. Gators. Likely.
8. Wild boar. Refer to number 2 so not likely.
9. Pigmy rattler. Maybe though kinda hard to see.

Ok so it's a GO! The legendary Skunk Ape!

The trail is off the beaten path. Last time the mosquitoes and flood waters practically carried me away. This time at least some of the trail was above water. In many places the trail was narrow.

Other areas wide open.

Fire swept though this swamp though not sure when. Guessing to too long (maybe a few years) ago.

Something big splashed in this pond as we approached. There is a gator which is visible (just part of the head) in the first photo. In the second it sank. Lots of fish here so guessing it's the good life for the resident gators. See if you can find the gator.

Lots of (guessing) coral rock and sand. Something I am not used to. The water is overal clearer than back home as well. Maybe all that funky rock is the reason.

Very swampy trail but at least passable with boots.

I like cypress.

Anytime yea find a shot up car or truck in the woods it's a good sign or at least for me.

Something was on this log near these water plants very near my foot. It moved off fast and only knew about it because my uncle yelled.

Aw. Look at this bundle of joy. The snake didn't go far from it's log. The water was somehow slowly moving and full of fish.

Classic Cotton Mouth threat display. You really don't want those fangs to sink into a body part in a swamp. Like other pit vipers I encountered once they get their game face on they're in no hurry to move. Not aggressive however they hold their ground. At least that's the case with the rattlers etc I seen.

I wild edible. A pond or swamp apple. Not really the best tasting thing or so I have been told. Edible but didn't try it. I was thinking about going out to eat. LOL!

That's about it. Sorry to say no skunk ape, panther, black bear, rattlers etc etc however did run into some gators and that cottonmouth. Also seen some cool birds but they were camera shy. Here is a video for those with too much time on their hands.

Thanks for looking.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a fun adventure. Thanks for posting WW!

Lots of (guessing) coral rock and sand. Something I am not used to. The water is overal clearer than back home as well. Maybe all that funky rock is the reason.
I'm guessing the water is salt or at least rather brackish, hence very nutrient poor. Otherwise it should be pretty cloudy with all that vegetation around right?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Looks like a fun adventure. Thanks for posting WW!

I'm guessing the water is salt or at least rather brackish, hence very nutrient poor. Otherwise it should be pretty cloudy with all that vegetation around right?
It is fresh near as I could tell. I think it might have something to do with the fine coral type sand. There are actually a good number of things in that swamp which could really put the hurt on if someone was careless so was keeping my eye out.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I have seen all but #1 and #9 in Florida. However I have seen a lot of #9 in California. Your pics make me want to plan another trip to Myakka River State Park. I recommend Osceola Nation Forest in north FL, Ocala National Forest and Myakka River State Park in central FL, and the Everglades in south FL, and of course the keys for diving reefs.