NEW Fenix FD30 Focus Beam Flashlight - Spot to Flood Beam With Max of 900 Lumens

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
NEW Fenix FD30 360-Degree Rotary Focusing Flashlight

The Fenix FD30 is officially released! Featuring a new style 360°-rotary focusing flashlight, Fenix FD30 is fitted with an independently innovative dual reflector optical system. Rotating the focusing ring 360° moves the head and the reflector forward and backward from the LED, thus regulating the focus between spotlight and floodlight. It delivers maximum output of 900 lumens and beam distance of 656 feet/200 meters. The tail switch plus side switch and the compatibility with 18650 Li-ion as well as cold-resistant CR123A batteries make the FD30 stand out in law enforcement tasks, searching, camping and outdoor photographing.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that really that important? Plus the image shows the light standing on its tail.

Using the term "tactical tail-switch" and having obstructions to make it tail-stand are contradictions in a practical sense. Momentary ability is important for tactical situations but so is being able to consistently turn the light on by having complete and unobstructed access to the button. Rant over :) This light does look neat and it seems to be a pretty original design, too.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this would be a great light to keep in my truck for emergency use. If I need to see far I have throw or flood for changing a tire. It looks like it may tailstand but would be pretty unstable.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
You are correct. You will note the casing around the tail switch has the indention for easy access to the button. The light cannot tail stand.

Using the term "tactical tail-switch" and having obstructions to make it tail-stand are contradictions in a practical sense. Momentary ability is important for tactical situations but so is being able to consistently turn the light on by having complete and unobstructed access to the button. Rant over :) This light does look neat and it seems to be a pretty original design, too.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Obviously to me it is. I stand my lights all the time. And Fenix uses that same slide format for both lights that can and can't tailstand.

colight

Enlightened
Kudzu, Fenix pertinently states that the light has a tactical tail switch, as do so many of their products. "Tactical" gives you the momentary-on function, unlike a normal switch, and therefore the switch does protrude above the surrounding ring. The light is not designed to tail stand, and even though from the picture it seems to be able to, it definitely cannot.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
My question's been answered, thanks. But the "tactical" descriptor in the flashlight realm, as in many others, has lost a lot of meaning. Fenix has marketed other lights as having "tactical" switches that stand just fine. The old TK09, to name just one, so they're not exactly consistent there either.

colight

Enlightened
You mean this one, Kudzu?

I don't see Fenix making any claim on their website about this light being able to tail stand, either. But the part about the "tactical" having lost its real meaning - yes, I may agree.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
No, the 450 lumen version. Advertised as having a tactical switch, tail stands just fine. My point is that Fenix rarely says one way or the other. Which is why I asked. Thank you all for helping me with my purchase decision.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened

Maybe we can get them to make an extension button. Either a slip-over, or a replacement button.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
In fact... blue sky thinking here... Binoculars have fold-down eye cups. Those cups flare out. You could design a similar rubber piece that lays on the rear of the barrel, but can be peeled back to create a larger-diameter cup that would be more stable than standing on its tail. Maybe even have a bit of suction on a smooth surface.

Bugdozer

Newly Enlightened
In fact... blue sky thinking here... Binoculars have fold-down eye cups. Those cups flare out. You could design a similar rubber piece that lays on the rear of the barrel, but can be peeled back to create a larger-diameter cup that would be more stable than standing on its tail. Maybe even have a bit of suction on a smooth surface.

You may be on to something here.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
We will make sure the Fenix engineers see your comments and suggestions here. You make some very good points. On a side note, if the product description CAN tail stand, it will say that in the product description (in the wording and on the images). If it isn't there, you can assume it CANNOT tail stand. Also, as far as the image on the front of the packaging, that is just showing the product profile and is not intended to mean it is able to tail stand. We hope that clarifies some of this.

Thanks for all your photos and input. You guys are the "experts."

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a nice light. I'll bet there's no image of the LED die when it's zoomed to spot either. 😁

I appreciate the use of both primary and rechargables.

Bugdozer

Newly Enlightened
Had mine for a couple days now and I like it. In flood, it's a very wide fairly even flood. When you twist the top, the size of the flood gets 'slightly' smaller but a ring focuses into bright a spot in the middle. Throw for the spot is pretty good without loosing much of the flood. Very different from a lens focused beam but I like the way it works.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
After reading all about the FD30 I knew I wanted one. But I bought the FD41 instead. It's now my dog walking light. The flood is perfect for spotting "land mines" in the yard. If be Interested in hearing from Fenix how they compare one on one.

OldSage

Newly Enlightened
FD30 using a different type of focusing system compared to the FD41?
The dark spot when transitioning from spot to flood in the FD41 is a little bit annoying.
Leaning towards the FD30. Bit less $s, Eco mode a bit lower and L mode a bit stronger than the 40's Low mode.