Show Us Your Sharpening Gear

Sadden

Enlightened
Heres a sample of my stuff

Synthetics. Full set of Shapton Pro, Some Nubatamas and a couple randoms..

Naturals. One Coticule (select from ardennes) One Belgian Blue, the rest are Japanese Naturals :love_heart:

Diamonds. Atoma Plates and Heavy Duty Films

Nagura bin

The lot of it, with all the compounds, oils and cleaners I use up top.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread but the first post is a tough one to follow, lol. Posting pics of my three bench stones and strop will look anemic in comparison.

Sadden, can you tell me a little about the Belgium Blue? Nortons has a Ohio Blue stone in their catalogue and was curious about it. Is this similar?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Doesn't take expensive "magic" machines to get working results. IHMO the person with skill will get a better edge than the person with just money. I do ok but always looking to improve and learning more.

scout24

Flashaholic
I use a 1x30 belt sander, a Spyderco Sharpmaker, and the occasional bottom of a ceramic coffe cup. The top edge of a car window has also been used in a pinch once or twice. Hats off to anyone who has a bunch of stones and oils, etc! I tried stones more than once, and never got the hang of them...

Sadden

Enlightened
Sadden, can you tell me a little about the Belgium Blue? Nortons has a Ohio Blue stone in their catalogue and was curious about it. Is this similar?

Reading its supposed to be a course natural. The BBW would be considerably finer. The Belgian blue is comprised of garnets. Surface texture is very important on these stones.

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
An easy way to keep 400 to 6000 grit wet paper flat is to place it on a piece of plate glass using water. I've used this method for a long time for fine honing. I use water as a cutting fluid on the abrasive side anyway and have found water on the back works beautifully to keep the paper in place.

Usually I'll finish with a leather strop embedded with a polishing compound.

[emoji380]

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you keep your sandpaper from sliding around?

I used paper to polish a few knives to a mirror finish and found by using the paper wet it created enough stiction to keep it stationary.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks for the help.
I wanted to get a 4x10 inch 3/16 - 1/4 inch piece of glass, and went to two different glass and mirror places near me that weren't there anymore. :rolleyes: I guess I'll call first the next time.

While poking around in harbor freight, I picked this four sided diamond hone block. It's going under the Christmas tree, so I won't know how well it works for another week or so.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a lot but it keeps all I have sharp. (L-R) Coarse Cyrstolon, medium India, Translucent Arkansas. All Nortons. The smooth steel is from Victorinox.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
02ba90b1e01346facb5234c578810790.jpg

I have an edge pro 4, no pictures though. I really want a wicked edge setup in the future