• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Cleaning inside of AR coated sapphire

Spyder333

Newly Enlightened
I was trying to blow out some dust inside my mcgizmo and ended up getting some gunk stuck on the AR coating of the sapphire glass. Is there a way to clean the AR coated side without damaging it?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lens pens suck.
Remove the lens and use dishwashing liquid and warm water, no harsh scrubbing etc. Blow dry if necessary and gently wipe down with a microfiber cloth of the smooth type.
Don't forget the orientation and use a small blower to remove any dust upon reinstalling.
I've done it plenty of times with Mcgizmos and a stack of other lenses.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock lenses are coated inside only

Oh shoot. :ohgeez: How does one tell which side is which ? Is there a quick and easy way to verify it?

I've taken apart my PD-S quite a number of times but could not tell the difference. So naturally thought it was on both sides.

hjkl

Newly Enlightened
Two things that I have found come in handy from one of my other hobbies of modifying watches is a dust blower and watchmaker's putty such as Rodico.

The dust blower is good for removing loose debris from reflectors, lenses, etc. without introducing moisture from blowing using one's breath.

Rodico is great for removing more persistent debris and oil such as from fingerprints as well as for picking up small parts without damaging delicate finishes. You knead the putty and shape it to however you require and dab at the target.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Oh shoot. :ohgeez: How does one tell which side is which ? Is there a quick and easy way to verify it?

I've taken apart my PD-S quite a number of times but could not tell the difference. So naturally thought it was on both sides.
Although it unfortunately won't help you now, I put a bit of masking tape on the outer (uncoated) side of the window during assembly or repair operations ....

Spyder333

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't gotten around to cleaning the glass yet. I was wondering what the best method is for removing the glass without damaging the o-ring?