Jobsmart 55w Hid Spotlight with 11.1v lion battery plus internals photo update

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Jobsmart 55w Hid Spotlight with 11.1v lion battery for $60 bucks

If I ever wanted to get this modded what cost am i looking at?

PolarLi

Enlightened

Seems to be a decent light. Looks to be ok focused too. As for modding cost, depends how far you want to go?
Btw, how does it compare to the throwers in your sig?

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems to be a decent light. Looks to be ok focused too. As for modding cost, depends how far you want to go?
Btw, how does it compare to the throwers in your sig?

focus is great :) i have not been able to compare it to them yet. I actually have to update my sig. i dont have most of them anymore but i do have a 600kcd boss1vn to compare it to but just from remembering the throw of that one and then looking at this one outside shining at trees 1500 feet away this one has a much more intense spot. as more lux i have no idea but it has to be pretty good. its an 8 inch reflector. as for modding id say 100w or 150w. once i get home to Delaware i will compare them

just updated my sig. it got a bit less exciting :(

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened

Yeah, you could definitely put a bigger HID kit in that light. But try to do some research on the various kits out there. A lot of overrating (as in wattage) going on. Another thing, you may need to get a better battery to supply enough amp with a bigger kit.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, you could definitely put a bigger HID kit in that light. But try to do some research on the various kits out there. A lot of overrating (as in wattage) going on. Another thing, you may need to get a better battery to supply enough amp with a bigger kit.

Unfortunately im not versed in modding in the slightest. I was wondering of there is anyone here that i can send it to for mods.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

Modding is simple for that light and there are quite a few options.
Bigger battery would be foremost, 16v has worked well in my mods.
Bigger ballast, sure but I wouldn't go above 100w. (Make sure wiring can handle the current!)
If you wanted, you can install a hi/lo bulb which will allow for flood/spot modes.
You're really only limited by space as far as batt goes. Some ballasts can be a lil annoying to cram in.
I assume it has a metal/glass reflector/lens setup so heat shouldn't be an issue but again, upgrade wiring to handle the wattage.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a nice find for the price. As already said, modding this should be relatively easy but fitting a larger ballast in there will likely be the biggest challenge. I modded a Titanium Innovations Mega Illuminator from the stock 35 watt HID/ballast to one that was approx. 100 watts. The 100 watt ballast was much larger than the 35 watt one and it took a little work to make it happen. I didn't make any permanent alterations and was able to return it to the factory state at a later time. Which part of the performance of your light are you wanting to improve the most? Lumens, lux, tint, beam quality, etc.?

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a nice find for the price. As already said, modding this should be relatively easy but fitting a larger ballast in there will likely be the biggest challenge. I modded a Titanium Innovations Mega Illuminator from the stock 35 watt HID/ballast to one that was approx. 100 watts. The 100 watt ballast was much larger than the 35 watt one and it took a little work to make it happen. I didn't make any permanent alterations and was able to return it to the factory state at a later time. Which part of the performance of your light are you wanting to improve the most? Lumens, lux, tint, beam quality, etc.?
I would love to see this make over a million lux. Its around 750,000 cd stock when i compared it to a 600,000cd led light i have. It was a tick brighter at far distances.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would love to see this make over a million lux. Its around 750,000 cd stock when i compared it to a 600,000cd led light i have. It was a tick brighter at far distances.

You could consider overdriving a lamp for maximum candlepower. I know others have done that on this forum. The best combination of lamp wattage and ballast wattage you would have to ask someone else as I don't know much about that. In general, if your lamp is properly focused then using a more powerful HID bulb/ballast will gain you more lumens but probably leave you with similar candlepower, as the intensity of the arc will not be much different. On my Mega Illuminator mod, the lumens increased noticeably but the candlepower was basically unchanged. The hotspot and corona were larger and more useful, however, which was really nice. Again, ask somebody that really knows but I think some HID lights were using 35 watt lamps with 50 or 55 watt ballasts. The original Barnburner with the Phillips lamp was overdriven, if I remember correctly.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could consider overdriving a lamp for maximum candlepower. I know others have done that on this forum. The best combination of lamp wattage and ballast wattage you would have to ask someone else as I don't know much about that. In general, if your lamp is properly focused then using a more powerful HID bulb/ballast will gain you more lumens but probably leave you with similar candlepower, as the intensity of the arc will not be much different. On my Mega Illuminator mod, the lumens increased noticeably but the candlepower was basically unchanged. The hotspot and corona were larger and more useful, however, which was really nice. Again, ask somebody that really knows but I think some HID lights were using 35 watt lamps with 50 or 55 watt ballasts. The original Barnburner with the Phillips lamp was overdriven, if I remember correctly.

So did a crude lux test which could be off 100,000cd for all i know but I was able to adjust the bulb slightly and it improved the focus quite a bit. I tested the lux at 10 meters and got 850,000cd on this and 612,000cd on my Boss1vn. Vinh measured 580,000cd or so so its not far off. this thing white washes my eyes on a white wall up to 25 feet. Iv never had a light that did that. so cool.

honestly that is a lot of throw but the spot at a 1000 feet is tiny. so there is not a ton of light that makes the long distance so maybe if I got a more powerful hid/ballast the spot at 1000 feet would maybe double in size there for it will look more impressive and seam like it throws more even tho it does not. That route would work aswell. Even stock this thing is impressive so id even go for just a battery upgrade. my run time is 35 min off the 4000 mah lithium battery.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try to find the bulb/ballast kit I used for the Mega and link it. It may take a while as it was several years ago.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overdriving HIDs is fairly commonplace. (I.E., 55-75 watts in a 35 watt bulb) Results in a brighter, warmer colored arc but bulb lifetime is sacrificed. Hotspot size won't increase much unless you step up to a longer arc (55, 75, 100 watt bulbs, etc).
Overdriving will also decrease warm-up time.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a long range test last night and i was quite disappointed. with in 500 feet the hid spotlight has a more intense spot then my boss1vn that does just over 600kcd. but when i was shinning both at a building 2000 feet away the boss1vn had more light on the building and the slightest bit more intense spot. the hid spot was twice as small. Im wondering if the hids focus is not focused to infinity. The quality of the reflector is crap. it has small dents and the reflective coating is not the greatest but honestly can i really complain for $60 bucks. Maybe ill run to the store and test the 3 they still have. I tested two at another store and they were totally different. worse then the one i have.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a long range test last night and i was quite disappointed. with in 500 feet the hid spotlight has a more intense spot then my boss1vn that does just over 600kcd. but when i was shinning both at a building 2000 feet away the boss1vn had more light on the building and the slightest bit more intense spot. the hid spot was twice as small. Im wondering if the hids focus is not focused to infinity. The quality of the reflector is crap. it has small dents and the reflective coating is not the greatest but honestly can i really complain for $60 bucks. Maybe ill run to the store and test the 3 they still have. I tested two at another store and they were totally different. worse then the one i have.

Ok I bought another one today and it has the best focus your going to get with the lower quality reflector these have. It throws much better then the other one. Smaller corona and larger warmer and brighter hotspot. I did a lux test at 10 meters exactly and got an insane 11,200cd at 10 meters and 7,105 at 10 meters with the boss1vn. I did some recalabration with lights i know the lux of. Now i dont think the boss is that high but if i calibrate it with the boss and vinhs numbers my other lights measure to low. the good news is while the numbers might be off a little they are comparable with them self's and the hid is 4,000cd higher at 10 meters. At 1 meter thats 1.1 million cd for the hid and 710,000 for the boss1vn. Even if you subtract 100kcd the hid is still over a million. Tonight im going to test them at 2000 feet again and see if the hids beam has better focus at distance. at 30 feet it makes the boss look dim so im hopeful. These hid spotlights are not consistent between samples thats for sure.

20161204_201911 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

20161204_201531 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, a mod with a larger arc will probably do you some good on throw since the focus is a problem.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
A larger arc will lead to a larger hotspot.
Focus can be slightly adjusted IF bulb is too far INTO the reflector using shims to pull it slightly out. It's a trial and error process but often worth the effort.