Quark 1xAA body & 14500

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using AW 14500 cells for years in my Quark Tactical AA and they work great, but my current ones are due for replacement. Due to AW cells being overpriced, IMO, I am trying to find another suitable brand of quality cell. However, it seems that the current batch of performers such as a protected Sanyo UR14500P are all too long for this application, at around 52.5-53mm. The AW cells are around 51mm and fit perfectly.

Is there a good quality 14500 cell available that will work in the Quark AA body besides the AW? I am very good at keeping track of cell voltage, so I would be willing to use an unprotected button top cell if I could find one, but they all seem to be flat tops.

I suppose I could also use a spacer between the body and tail to allow the longer ones work. If anyone has any good ideas for this, I would love to hear them.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm looking for something that does well in testing. Those are mediocre. After looking through HKJ's tests, I think I'm going to try the Eagletac cells if I can find any without paying high shipping rates. Granted they would fit, but I really have no need for high-drain, low capactiy IMRs in this light.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I've been using AW 14500 cells for years in my Quark Tactical AA and they work great, but my current ones are due for replacement. Due to AW cells being overpriced, IMO, I am trying to find another suitable brand of quality cell. However, it seems that the current batch of performers such as a protected Sanyo UR14500P are all too long for this application, at around 52.5-53mm. The AW cells are around 51mm and fit perfectly.

Is there a good quality 14500 cell available that will work in the Quark AA body besides the AW? I am very good at keeping track of cell voltage, so I would be willing to use an unprotected button top cell if I could find one, but they all seem to be flat tops.

I suppose I could also use a spacer between the body and tail to allow the longer ones work. If anyone has any good ideas for this, I would love to hear them.

I have a Quark 1XCR123 which has an extra AA tube. I could test if a KeepPower protected 14500 will work if. I know you're more interested in unprotected but could check if yea like.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would appreciate it! I'm actually more interested in a protected cell that fits. I only mentioned unprotected because it should be easier to find one that fits without the protection PCB making it longer.

Woods Walker

I would appreciate it! I'm actually more interested in a protected cell that fits. I only mentioned unprotected because it should be easier to find one that fits without the protection PCB making it longer.

Am embarrassed to say I took the body out of my PSK, put it down in the house and now it's MIA. Looking for it right now!

Woods Walker

Ok I found the 1xAA body (in the couch LOL!) for my QPLC. A KeepPower protected 14500 840 mAh battery does work (and dang bright) but the trail cap can't be totally screwed down. The tail is more than on however so wouldn't mind using it like this. The 2XCR123 Quark can take a 16650 without issue if my memory is correct.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks WW. My tailcap threads are all fully anodized, and lock out if slightly unscrewed, so that cell won't work for me. I also don't want to "squash" a cell and its protection PCB, so it needs a little "breathing room". Yes the 2xCR123 works with a 16650, but I'm not going to pocket that as EDC.

Thanks for trying, and I'm glad you found your AA body. ;)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were me, I would do the same as I do on my 18650's and add a blob of solder to the positive end of an unprotected cell for a button. File flat after applying. You need to be confident, and prep the top of the cell perfect, with lite flux, so when you hit it with the iron, it tins out and bonds right away, don't want stay on long enough to heat the cell up to the point it might be damaged.

I avoid magnets for this, as they can shift while assembling and cause a short.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes the best solution to the problem is the simplest solution. This takes me back to the good 'ol days of fitting Nekomane bodies to L1Ts... ;)

Thanks for the suggestions Gunga, Woodswalker and Hondo!

Grege_G2

Newly Enlightened

@NutSAK I too have an old Quark 1xAA and am currently looking for a 14500 battery. Have you been able to find a new 14500 to replace your AW cells that fit and perform well?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good spot Jose. My favourite battery shop has them over here but the picture shows a button top and the description is flat. Which are yours?
P

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Mine are flat with a small solder blob i put on myself. I realized after i ordred that you can custom order button tops or protection circuits by emailing vapcell

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checkout KeepPower 14500 cells, they are very good and fit perfectly in the AA tube.
JetBeam, Fenix, and EagleTac's fit also.