CL30R, not getting the runtimes Fenix advertises, not even with higher Mah batteries

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
Help.....

I got this light a few weeks ago and it will barely run 10-12hrs on the 3 setting up. Fenix says 51hrs and Im getting 10 or 12. I upgraded the batteries with 3400mah from lion wholesale. Im using the high quality
Protected Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh Li-Ion 18650 Button Top Battery

Its far worse runtimes with the factory 2600 batteries, maybe 8-9hrs.

Im running it down to 1 dot of power left on battery checker.

I should be able to use it 13 nights in a row and I can go 3.

Med - 3500mAh
100 lumens 51h

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My in lantern charging show full when the batteries at 3.8v
Charge in my BT-C3100 show full at 4.20, I try the run time at 100 lumens for 24 hours, the lantern is on the second dot.
That's why I ask.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Charge in my BT-C3100 show full at 4.20, I try the run time at 100 lumens for 24 hours, the lantern is on the second dot.
That's why I ask.
That makes sense. Starting at 3.8v is going to give you a fraction of the full run time. It's for this reason that I feel in-device charging is really more for emergencies; charging in your car while camping, etc.

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
That's why I ask.
Ahhh.... thanks for explaining. I charged in lantern and it stops at 4.18v. I charge in my 4 bay nitecore and I get 4.21v. I ran 4 hours last night on level 4 and my 3400ma batteries are at 3.78v showing 3 dots. Started at 4.22v.

The lantern has 7 LED strips internally, I thought it was 1. Seems like a lot of lights to power. I wish I could see amp draw and internals.

The manual states the dots mean the following:

4 dots= <85%
3 dots=61-85%
2 dots=36-60%
1 dot= >35%

Last edited:

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
Ran another time test with 3400 mah batteries.

So running at 350 lumens with 3400mah batteries the light made it to 8hrs then dropped automatically to 100 lumens. I let it run at 100 for 1hr more and checked battery voltage. Voltage was 3.22. Im stopping the test. I do not wish to damage brand new batteries.

I can officially say that the runtimes are less than half of what they say since i get less then half with 3400mah batteries and the runtimes are with 2600's from factory specs. Runtimes are closer to 1/3rd of declared when using 2600 batteries.

Not sure how fenix did its runtime testing when the light drops down a level when batteries discharge, then drop down again then again. You keep losing levels as batteries discharge. There is no way that the 350 lumens could go X hours because the light will force drop down a level at 7-8hrs with 3400 batteries when it should go 15hrs.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Why not run it till the protection circuit fires at 2.7 volts. Not sure how Fenix does it's runtimes. I know the industry standards aren't always what people expect. That said it's your gear and don't own it so just thinking aloud. Thanks for doing the test!

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
Why not run it till the protection circuit fires at 2.7 volts. Not sure how Fenix does it's runtimes. I know the industry standards aren't always what people expect. That said it's your gear and don't own it so just thinking aloud. Thanks for doing the test!

CANT!

The light keeps dropping down 1 mode in lumens as the batteries drain. You CANNOT run a test in one setting because the light automatically keeps dropping to a lower setting as the battery voltage drops.

I do not see how they were able to run the tests with ANY mah battery let alone the 2600.

Example:

You want to test the 650 lumen runtime. BUT after a while it drops to 350 lumens, then 100 then lower. It keeps dropping BEFORE the advertised runtime in that mode. The 3400's I have cannot even get to the claimed runtime. The 2600's it comes with wont even come close.

I have to charge the light every 2 days as the battery meter is blinking 1 dot. Thats 3.2v or less.

Poppy

Flashaholic
ANSI set the standards.
They allow run-time to be measured by the amount of time that it takes before the light output drops to 10% of where it started.

Using different programs, manufacturers, can move the numbers around a bit, and still meet the standards.

IMO the standards should say that they have to post run-time graphs of how the light performs.

Here is a Selfbuilt review of a Fenix light, comparing it to many other brands. I picked it at random, but it demonstrates different strategies used by different companies, or even within brands.
Many of us would prefer that the ANSI standard be changed to 50% output. That is what Selfbuilt reports as run-times.

I hope this explains how they can get the advertised run-times. I, like many don't like the ANSI rules, but as the rules are, if a company wants to sell lights...

Many rely on independent testers who present run-time graphs. People like Selfbuilt, or SubWoofer.

CANT!

The light keeps dropping down 1 mode in lumens as the batteries drain. You CANNOT run a test in one setting because the light automatically keeps dropping to a lower setting as the battery voltage drops.

I do not see how they were able to run the tests with ANY mah battery let alone the 2600.

Example:

You want to test the 650 lumen runtime. BUT after a while it drops to 350 lumens, then 100 then lower. It keeps dropping BEFORE the advertised runtime in that mode. The 3400's I have cannot even get to the claimed runtime. The 2600's it comes with wont even come close.

I have to charge the light every 2 days as the battery meter is blinking 1 dot. Thats 3.2v or less.

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
"manufacturers, can move the numbers around a bit,"

They didnt move them a "bit" they slid them to the other side of the room. Funny how quiet fenix is about this.

I dont like being lied to.