Cheap DIY Multi use USB powered lantern.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I really like gear which is cheap, DIY and multi purpose. This isn't a world shattering invocation but had fun making it. Here is a simple DIY project. The multi use USB lantern. This isn't complex so will keep the words down and pics high. Total cost can be under 7 buck.

So what's inside the bag?

The parts.

1. Sliding friction knot and clip which allow for easy adjustment of height.

I use this knot on my tarp ridgelines as it allows one way adjustment aka adjustable taunt and positioning of the tarp.

I use USB cord to hang and help power the LED. My preference is 6-10 feet but don't recommend more. I tried a bunch of cords noticing the ones with enclosed female ends (the back one shown here) has more retention than the ones with exposed (white) end. The exposed end just doesn't have the proper hold on the USB powered light to be trusted. I got these for 2.85 shipped on Ebay.

The LED bulbs are .79 cents and up. I use this discontinued Goal zero Firefly with NW looks like XP-E G1 Cree. It's thick Al build and warm tint made it a GO for me. Also like the multi colored interchangeable caps. 10 bucks.

The second one I got for 99 cents shipped

It's mostly in my Guide 10 kit but sometimes take it when packing USB power banks as makes for a nice backup flashlight which is more powerful than the 5mm LEDs which can be included in some power banks. A 99 cent upgrade for multi function.

The powerbank cost me around 8 dollars. It is 2600 mAh and has a switch which is very useful for turning the lantern on from my bag. The cheapest powerbank I have seen is 4 dollars shipped.

Any powerbank will work and each has their pros and cons.

Add your phone USB cord as there is a power bank in the DIY lantern set.

Use as a flashlight.

Even without the extra 99 cents invested in the little USB powered flashlight thing (which rocks) the DIY lantern kit can make for a backup flashlight. It's dark! I am in the woods and the headlamp is dead! OMG! Cracking out the bag.

Using just the bulb and lantern USB powerbank.

The DIY lantern has some pros over USB bulbs with cord attached. In flashlight mode there is no wire to fight through the brush. That said the Sunjack hanging bulb is kinda nice.

Ready to GO! The switch is useful here as well but not a requirement.

It works but how well depends on your USB powered LED bulb. Some are better than others. Actual light output in the actual woods with bears LOL! No camera flash.

Yup I actually use this.

Here is a video.

Thanks for looking.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Nice one WW, pretty handy and versatile for hiking and backpacking! Mind if I ask where you scored a GZ Firefly for $10? EDIT: nevermind, I got so excited I missed the "discontinued" part. :whistle: Did get me thinking a lot about USB lights and power banks as a versatile solution in the woods.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've done similar here with the USB extension cords and such. I have a small LED "bulb" that has no cord that is not very bright that costs about $1 on ebay and a more expensive one that cost me about $5 that has a cord. If you look around you can find USB cord switches, that are essentially a short 10.5 inch extension with a rocker switch in the middle. These can be bought for under $2 easily. I like the usb switches as you can leave lights connected to power banks already hooked up and turn them on and off remotely. I have one bulb above my computer monitor. Many power banks come on automatically when they detect a load on them so you end up plugging and unplugging things in to turn them on/off when the items have no switches to them.

Woods Walker

Nice one WW, pretty handy and versatile for hiking and backpacking! Mind if I ask where you scored a GZ Firefly for $10? EDIT: nevermind, I got so excited I missed the "discontinued" part. :whistle: Did get me thinking a lot about USB lights and power banks as a versatile solution in the woods.

The firefly is fantastic. 80 lumens of XP-E NW goodness. People would complain the Al body got hot but to me that's good news aka heat transferring. It's a solid heavy little thing! Too bad it's gone. Even came with screw on red and green caps. Going to crack those out for Christmas tent lighting!

Woods Walker

I've done similar here with the USB extension cords and such. I have a small LED "bulb" that has no cord that is not very bright that costs about $1 on ebay and a more expensive one that cost me about $5 that has a cord. If you look around you can find USB cord switches, that are essentially a short 10.5 inch extension with a rocker switch in the middle. These can be bought for under $2 easily. I like the usb switches as you can leave lights connected to power banks already hooked up and turn them on and off remotely. I have one bulb above my computer monitor. Many power banks come on automatically when they detect a load on them so you end up plugging and unplugging things in to turn them on/off when the items have no switches to them.
I will check out the USB switch thing. Often just use the one on the power bank but that would allow even more options!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I will check out the USB switch thing. Often just use the one on the power bank but that would allow even more options!
Here is the place I bought one of mine from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142045968846?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
You can search for Arduino Raspberry switch too may find one a little cheaper. The switches aren't perfect they can handle up to 2A and feel slightly "cheap" but work well for the price. I've bought 4 of them that all work plus a fifth switch that instead of USB A Male/Female has 2.1 mm DC power Male/Female connectors that I use as an inline on/off switch for my Opus BT-C100 charger so the light doesn't shine all night long. You can even buy the switches themselves without cables and make your own with some work.
I took a USB LED module and a switch, power bank, and short USB extension cable and a pair of plastic spring clamps and mounted an LED and switch on the bottom rail of my 6' Table to point down to the floor under the table. You can also get Y USB cables for connecting multiple items at once. I also like short USB extenders (~2") and USB right angle adapters and USB dimmable LED modules with tail standing power banks you have a short table lamp that on the lowest (dimmed) setting can run for days even weeks off a single cell power bank. I will warn you that the dimming USB LED modules (and lights) don't work on many power banks especially the ones with switches on them, most of them will come on but when the module is dimmed to a power level (current) lower than 100ma (depending on the individual power bank) they shut off after a few seconds. I've had power banks even blink as they were at the threshold.