Olight Pen

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
It's the holiday season... and manufacturers are busy handing out gifts and/or promotions... went to my local flashlight dealer and receive a free gift with purchase... Olight Pen.

Have a look...
5eZ6Xz.jpg

it comes in a transparent case

MySho8.jpg

Is it a Pen? Is it a Stylus? Is it a Light?

J3Uu8p.jpg

the Pen is secured with a plastic holder

3tG170.jpg

Sslxju.jpg

this plastic disc is to prevent accidental switch activation. remove before use. was advised to keep the disc and reinsert to prevent accidental switch activation during carry... errr... that's not gonna happen... coz I throw the disc into dustbin upon removal... :p

ehEqpz.jpg

removing the cap reveal a ball-point pen, black ink. the tip of the cap has a soft rubber/silicone function as a stylus.

Jpznlt.jpg

testing the smoothness... pretty decent...

P9d3jq.jpg

testing the light... no greenish tint (yay!) pure white... not very bright tho... but hey, we don't need a hundred lumens to see what we are writing either... btw, it's single mode...

oplvwy.jpg

compare the brightness and tint to Lumintop IYP365 (low mode), Olight Pen is definitely brighter.

It's power by 3 x L736 (AG3 or LR41), don't see any driver, likely direct driven. My issue with this Pen is the switch is easily press on and once we capped the pen, there is no way to tell if the light is on or off, so... I did the following...
FZd6o1.jpg

8QWq59.jpg

and problem solved!

if I'm worry about leaving a hole might dry-up the ink faster, I'll add a dab of clear silicone sealant to cover the hole, but since I'm not, I'm leaving it uncover... :D

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised no one has commented yet. Here goes. Generally, I find the flaw when mixing things that neither utility gets the deserved attention, the idea is that one cannot serve two masters.

That said, I like this idea... but I can't tell if I love this particular implemention of the idea; I'd have to try it first.

Thx for posting!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
This isn't anything new, they have had lights like this but with incans instead of LEDs. I think AG3s are a poor choice of batteries if an AG13 could be made to work instead.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a few similar "promos" of these handed out at Christmas by folks I deal with who are 'closet flashaholics'.

The stylus is under the screw off tip to the right.
This one was made by Adler. I hope to see Cross or Fisher make one some day.

Great for menu reading in dim restaraunts. When paying the tab the pen is good for signing the reciept. For places with 'touch screen' menus the stylus prevents the sausage finger thing from causing you to order cheese fries instead of onion rings on the appetizer menu.

Great for the office dweller type. I'm not but carry one in my laptop bag.
At a lunch n learn meeting one time my boss was max-impressed when I used mine to order an appetizer, light under the table to assist her finding a dropped item and then to sign the bill.

Thanks for the post RookieDaddy.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, cool post for sure. I haven't seen those yet. I have one of the cheap Pen/Lights from 47. It is a promotional pen with the 47 logo put on it, cheap plastic with like a 3mm led at the end. It actually works fairly well in both writing and lighting. But it is easy to break. I have used the heck out of it. But, I would like one of these. They look a tad better. I will see if I can find a pic of the 47 pen.
I found something like them for sale under the name "Pilot Pen light".

Last edited:

Olightworld

Enlightened
Writing at night with a light on the tip of your pen is something that you do not want to miss. It's amazing how useful it has been for me.
Surprised no one has commented yet. Here goes. Generally, I find the flaw when mixing things that neither utility gets the deserved attention, the idea is that one cannot serve two masters.

That said, I like this idea... but I can't tell if I love this particular implemention of the idea; I'd have to try it first.

Thx for posting!

Olightworld

Enlightened
Thank you for the information! Having the light at the tip makes writing in the dark a much better experience. That by itself is worth the $5.00 we are charging for this.

I have a few similar "promos" of these handed out at Christmas by folks I deal with who are 'closet flashaholics'.

The stylus is under the screw off tip to the right.
This one was made by Adler. I hope to see Cross or Fisher make one some day.

Great for menu reading in dim restaraunts. When paying the tab the pen is good for signing the reciept. For places with 'touch screen' menus the stylus prevents the sausage finger thing from causing you to order cheese fries instead of onion rings on the appetizer menu.

Great for the office dweller type. I'm not but carry one in my laptop bag.
At a lunch n learn meeting one time my boss was max-impressed when I used mine to order an appetizer, light under the table to assist her finding a dropped item and then to sign the bill.

Thanks for the post RookieDaddy.

Genius1

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful blue appearance!!! But think my Christmas budget :mecry:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update rookiedaddy, but if the LED and ink are at the opposite ends of the pen, how can the light help you write in the dark?

I think I might prefer the 2016 version with the modification to see if the LED is on when the cap is on the pen.

What keeps me away from this type of light/pen combo is the tiny & expensive batteries.

It's good that someone is still trying to make better versions of these.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't find any version on the Olight website.

I don't think they make them, just buy them from someone else for promotional purposes.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Thanks for the update rookiedaddy, but if the LED and ink are at the opposite ends of the pen, how can the light help you write in the dark?
I think I might prefer the 2016 version with the modification to see if the LED is on when the cap is on the pen.
What keeps me away from this type of light/pen combo is the tiny & expensive batteries.
It's good that someone is still trying to make better versions of these.
you are right, it really doesn't help to write in the dark, even with the included diffuser/protector cone (yes, they included one, but it's not very secure), it still doesn't help.
what I do like about this version tho it's now a distinctive 3-in-1 tool where if and when I needed a light, I can turn on the light without the need to remove the cap. and due to the LED is exposed, we get more throw from it.
the LR41 can be had half a dozen for a dollar or less (China-made), they can be use but make sure they are fresh production.
I think there are still room to improve, and it's possible keep the LED and pen tip separate from each other while "channeling" some illumination to the pen side to help writing in the dark. ;)