World Smallest Exotic (Mokuti, Mokume Gane, Damascus) Flashlight,and Copper Complete!

Many of the existing owners were aware, that there are some new versions being made. As of today, the Exotic Collection of Nucleus is completed. I believe, these are really something special, even among small flashlights. Completing this built was quite a challenge to say the least.... Machining Mokuti to to tight tolerances (+- 0.001") is not something I will repeat again (for this light). This batch is the last Nucleus ever made, with 5 different versions in very low numbers. Since we are being so close to the holidays, I have a few surprises in the form of gifts/discounts. All Mokuti and Mokume Gane will come with a custom titanium battery holder for the Nucleus. It is very similar to Nucleus lights, can hold 3 batteries and can hold 5 tritium vials (same front-cap as Nucleus.) To existing owners, there will be a 10% percent discount for any light in this new batch. Also, there is no installation cost for adding tritium, only the cost of the vials ($25 for 5x 1mmx3mm). Pricing will be announced at the start of the sale, which will start on Thursday (12/15/2016) between 6pm-7pm PST in the For Sale Exotic Forum. All lights sold before Sunday (12/18/16) will be shipped out on Monday, so it will arrive before Christmas (I will ship it by USPS Priority Mail).

If you're not familiar with this flashlight, you can read the original build thread HERE

The number of pieces being sold will be:

• Copper : 15 pcs. (21 made total)
  • Beryllium Copper : 5 pcs. ( 7 made total)
  • Damascus Steel : 10 pcs. (12 made total)
  • Mokume Gane : 10 pcs. (15 made total)
  • Moku-ti (Timascus) : 5 pcs. ( 7 made total)

Few things I'd like to add:

• The battery case will not be sold separately, they will only come with Mokuti and Mokumi Gane lights. If you prefer to have tritium vials installed in these, I will ask you for the cost of the vials only ($25) I will try to ship them together with the lights, but they might only ship after Christmas. If you absolutely has to have it at the same time as the light, please message me! The last 2 photos show the battery case, which I can provide in a full polished Ti or brushed Ti version.
  • Copper version will be available with machine finish (exceptional low sheen finish) and mirror polished version)
  • Beryllium copper will be offered in machine finish only)
  • Moku-ti and Timascus is nearly identical, being made by different companies (Timascus is made by Alpha Knife Supply, Moku-ti is made by Chade Nichols) The version I've made version can be done in 2 different variations (depending on the length of heat treating) you'll have the choice to pick the one you like the most.
  • I have tritium vials for all the flashlights, so shipping will not be delayed.
  • Damascus steel being used was made by Matthew D. Walker who is a true artist when it comes to creating Damascus steel.
  • All versions will come with a Ti split ring holder and 5mm split ring installed in the tail-cap, so you can carry it on a key-chain, or around the neck as jewelry.
  • As all other Nucleus lights, it is proudly made in USA (San Diego, California)

- Size: 1.04" x 3/8" (0.37") or 26.4mm x 9.44mm (if you're on the metric system) / With the split ring holder accessory 1.15" or 29.4mm
- Weight: 0.17 oz or 5 Grams
- LED: Nichia NVSL219BT-V1 4000K, 93 CRI, D200 Bin
LED Features
  • Thermal resistance: 6C/W
  • Max Forward Current: 1.5A
  • Max Junction Temperature: 150C
  • Color Rendering: Ra 92
  • Electrically neutral thermal path
  • SW40 Tint
  • D200 Flux Bin(200-220lm@700mA)
  • L2 Voltage Bin (2.9-3.1V@700mA)
- Light Engine: Brass Pill with 8mm MCPCB
- Window : 7.5mm Sapphire window, with AR coating on both sides, specifically tuned to the wavelenght of this LED
- Lumens: ~ 20-25 ( This is an estimate based on the current to LED, which is approximately 72mA max. on fresh batteries.
- Runtime: It is made for using in short intervals of 10-15 secs. it will have enough juice for about 100-150 of this 10-15 sec. burst. If ran continuously , it will run for about 45 mins. losing brightness until the 10 minute mark. then running it on about 2 lumens for the rest of its run-time)
(
If you're getting this light, to look for lost treasures in the sand, it is Not the right light for you. On the other hand, if you're an enthusiast wanting to own a really cool piece that might not be replicated and you're ok, for using it for short intervals, or emergencys, you'll love this light. I have designed other hosts for this that is using 5A rechargeable cylindrical batteries, capable of providing about 800-900 mA current to the LED. They might be available in the future, as an add-on, if I can work out all the issues)
Country of design and manufacture: If you're feeling patriotic, you'll love to hear, that it was all designed and made here in San Diego, California.
Manufacturing: With the exception of writing the CNC programs, I designed, assembled and even operated some of the CNC lathes and mills. (Haas SL-10 lathe and Haas VF-3SS mill)
(Machining on these pieces are to very tight tolerances, and are high quality, with smooth threads. This light is a mechanical gem! The light can be fully disassembled with the exception of the brass pill.
Water Resistance:.10ft./3meters (I will take this down up to 100' in the next few weeks and update the exact limitations. Waterproofing will work, as long as you don't back out the rear cap more, than you need to, to turn off the light.)

Here they are, let me know what you think, also, if you have any questions:

You can visit my Flickr for the high resolution images HERE:

The Full Exotic Collection

31551795446_3b6eff9dd0_c.jpg

Mokuti Front (Version 1)

31589296685_94da28a704_c.jpg

Mokuti Rear (Version 1)

30779415243_14947fda24_c.jpg

Mokuti Rear (Version 2)

31473238891_6717bbc828_c.jpg

Comperison of the 2 versions on Mokuti

30779414823_2478347dea_c.jpg

Comparison of freshly machined Mokume Gane and few months old patina

31551797606_2780c93a13_c.jpg

Damascus Steel Version

31551798146_113fab34bf_c.jpg

Copper and Beryllium Copper Versions (Machine finish)

31551796166_b28e19d48b_c.jpg

Beryllium Copper Version rear (Tritium installed)

31551796936_6238accb62_c.jpg

Copper and Damascus Steel version standing on a US Penny.

31551794296_b3a60b5096_c.jpg

Full Collection

31589291135_9d9384a36e_c.jpg

Full Collection (Tail Caps)

31473229851_81be910f29_c.jpg

Titanium Battery Case (Rear)

31473227431_c369498865_c.jpg

Titanium Battery Case (Front without split ring holder attached)

31551785696_02c7619ff2_c.jpg

Carrying on a necklace

28762890116_95ba499337_c.jpg

Nucleus Exploded View

28177070644_658523dc7b_b.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Amazing lineup. I'd like one of each.

:rock:i would expect nothing less..................WOW

and what can i say George:bow: exquisite, beautiful, works of art...........out of this world..............really are stunning pieces of illumination art.

Thanks Ven, as always, I appreciate your kind words! As I said before, this road was full of speed bumps, but I managed to get past all the issues. One thing for sure, my next project is going to be larger (in size)!
:rock:i would expect nothing less..................WOW

and what can i say George:bow: exquisite, beautiful, works of art...........out of this world..............really are stunning pieces of illumination art.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks Ven, as always, I appreciate your kind words! As I said before, this road was full of speed bumps, but I managed to get past all the issues. One thing for sure, my next project is going to be larger (in size)!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us. :)

As of this morning, all lights have been shipped out, with the expected delivery day of Friday (except international orders) It has shipped with a one day delay, due to the fact, that my eyes couldn't focus after installing about 200 tritium vials. I will add the tracking details to your PayPal transaction later tonight, or in the morning. Let me know, if you have any questions, and don't forget to order the batteries (The exact brand and model stated a few responses above)
I still have a few available (few copper, 1 beryllium copper, 3 Mokume Gane)