Today's training!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I like to train with a pack because without practice what is the point. Also like to do so with less than ideal situations. I decided to go 6 miles through some moderate ground (aka rocks, hills, stream crossings) with a pack that had some overnight kit. Also decided to wear poor footwear that lacked the proper support, traction and zero water resistance. With a storm moving in I would be racing against that.

Go!

I wanted to time this. My goal maybe an hour and 15 minutes but that was way too optimistic.

The load out.

1. Old Golite poncho.
2. MSS Gortex Bivy.
3. Armtek Wizard and Viking v3.
4. PSK.
5. BHK Tiger Knapp knife with Firesteel.
6. Paracord ridgeline and tie-off system.
7. Little FAK.
8. Canteen which I was drinking out of when taking this photo.
9. Cell phone charger and extra 18650 battery.
10. TP.
11. Hat and gloves.

There maybe more stuff I forgot in there but who cares. That's not the point. The training is more important than the gear in this case.

These are going to blow. Hope to beat the snow!

Off to a good start going up hill.

A few flakes and steely sky. It was butt cold.

Keep moving. These photos are slowing me down but want to take you'll along!

Watching my step. One reason why I pack flashlights and headlamps. I should be back before dark but one never knows.

Everything is freezing up.

Yellow Birch bark. Good tinder.

Keep moving. These photos are slowing me down.

Little stream crossing. No big deal. The shoes are sucking however in the leaves. They're really made for roads.

They sucked bad over rocks and there was plenty.

Another stream crossing. Slowed me down a bit.

Tulip Poplar bark. Lots of good tinder if you can do the range. If needed I would take any tinder before needed because you never know what's around camp. Or what's not.

A road. I would run maybe 100 yards up it to pick up the trail but then a car pulled over behind me. The women inside asked me about the trail, how far I was going. Parking places for local access. Yak Yak Yak. Then smiled and said "You look good" driving off. Ok that was cool but cost me lots of time.

Cedar bark. Great tinder and spent more time taking this photo. LOL!

And that's it.

So ended up with 1 hour and 48 minutes for about 6 miles. I wasn't exactly flying but was good physical training. I could have stayed home watching TV. Get out there everyone!

parametrek

Enlightened
Those days before winter gets going are great. Good visibilty with the leaves down and just cold enough that you can push without breaking a sweat. How much weight was in the pack?

ven

Flashaholic
Great stuff as always and thanks for being slowed down for our benefit. I do see you like your armyteks, i need to dig my predator pro v2.5 warm out for some use...........does not get much and its a light i really like. The nice warm beam, nice ano and that quality feel above most 18650 fed lights.

Woods Walker

Those days before winter gets going are great. Good visibilty with the leaves down and just cold enough that you can push without breaking a sweat. How much weight was in the pack?
I don't know the pack weight. Gosh maybe 15 pounds. Not
much though wearing a pack is always a drag.

Woods Walker

Great stuff as always and thanks for being slowed down for our benefit. I do see you like your armyteks, i need to dig my predator pro v2.5 warm out for some use...........does not get much and its a light i really like. The nice warm beam, nice ano and that quality feel above most 18650 fed lights.
My heart is really with malkoff and if I intended for a long night run would have taken the MD2. Some improvements on the V3 XP-L Viking over V 2.5 and some loss as had one.
I like the duel springs which are new. The tint seems whiter than my V2.5 standard Predator. I actual prefer the warmer but it is all good. Might do a field use review of the V3 Pro
Viking. Thanks for looking.

ven

Flashaholic
Cool, would defo be interested for sure.....right now i dont have any confidence in the v3 and from what i have read, seem a step back. I dont care for an extra 10kcd or so tbh, its all about beam quality for me and having the programmable option if needed. The viking pro is no more here, too cold for me and the spill was not much different to the predator, yet less throw........

The pred pro is still today a great light, the xpg2 warm which i presume as a 4000k xp-g2 is excellent. Same in the EDC+ neutral triple, same as the m361n malkoff...........great colour temp/tint.

Thank you!!!!! i love your threads and what go towards CPF being so great:)

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks WoodsWalker, for another excellent photoessay on what it means to truly practice what you preach. In the event anyone finds themselves in a true emergency situation, having practiced different scenarios can keep someone levelheaded and calm so they can make good choices. It. It breaks my heart when I hear about someone getting lost and dying when it was avoidable. Appreciate you taking the time to photo document and share the experience.