Mini Mark II review

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was fortunate enough to be selected to take a look at a pre-production Mini Mark II.
I posted some comments on my Facebook page but wanted to share it here as well...

FOURSEVENS Mini Mark II Review
Anyone that knows me knows I've had a "thing" for flashlights for quite a long time. It started back in Boy Scouts when on a campout, I noticed my $2 Ray-O-Vac 2D flashlight beam wasn't even visible on the opposite bank of a narrow river. All the other lights brought by the other Scouts were much brighter. I made sure that next year, I'd have a better and brighter flashlight. And so it began…

Throughout the years I have bought, traded, sold and acquired many, MANY flashlights. Then, a couple years ago, I sold most of them and now have a very lean number of useful (but still cool) lights.

This (pre-production) MINI mark II is one that I would be proud to count among those lights that still remain. It is an EDC-class light which means Every Day Carry. That is a light that is meant to be with you at all times. Maybe on a key chain. Maybe on a lanyard. Or maybe just in a pocket. Regardless of where you carry it, you'll be glad it's there.

The light is small, barely longer than a CR123 battery or roughly the diameter of a roll of Life Savers but not as long. The light fits easily in your pocket and can fit nicely in the small pocket on a pair of jeans.

However, the light's performance is ANYTHING BUT small.
It has 4 nicely spaced levels of output. The first is sufficient for navigating around the house for those middle-of-the-night runs to either check on the kids or get a drink of water without being too bright. Runtime? How does 7 DAYS at this level sound?
Changing levels is as easy as quickly turning the light off then back on. Didn't change? Try it again a bit faster. The next 2 levels are nicely spaced as far as increasing the output; roughly twice as bright as the last. The 4th and brightest mode tops out at a whopping 1020 lumens – the brightest output to date for single CR123 lights. Although, this level is only possible with a custom high-discharge RCR123 battery.
On a standard CR123 battery the brightest level is extremely bright at around 300 lumens while still maintaining a comfortable temperature while holding the light. It's impressive how much light blasts from such a small light.

The beam uses special optics to deliver a large, bright hot spot with a nice smooth beam.
Since this is an EDC light, the beam is tailored to be more wide and floody than more of a spot or narrow beam. Again, perfectly suited for use around the house or checking on the dogs in the backyard or navigating around a dark closet or whatever.

The light offers a nice keychain attachment or a 2-way pocket clip to secure the light in a variety of ways.
Myself, I prefer a small, sturdy lanyard which easily attaches to the pocket clip.

The light will be available from FOURSEVENS (http://www.foursevens.com/products/ML-IIC-AF) along with the custom high-discharge RCR123. I can't wait to see what other colors/finishes become available.

This is an amazing light and quite impressive. Truly, one worth fitting in to any collection or the perfect light to start your collection.

Hi BugLightGeek,

Congratulations on being chosen for a pre-production sample. Very cool! :cool: Also, thank you for sharing your review with CPF.

~ Chance

ML-IIC-PRF

UmPgfAH.jpg

Hi wimmer21, Great choice! I think it's the prettiest of all the Mini MK's. OG said that's how you decide all your light purchases; by how pretty they are. :p Hopefully you'll post some pretty-pictures of it later. :poke:

Merry Christmas!

~ Chance :laughing:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope everyone's Mini MkII works better than mine. It is a major mode-skipper. I contacted Foursevens support about the issue two weeks ago and haven't received a response.

Sorry to read you're unhappy with your new Mini Marks. I don't blame you; I'd be unhappy with a major mode-skipper also. I've had my eye on the two titanium models, but haven't been willing to spend the money for two more chargers. :shakehead Nope. Not gunna do it.
FourSevens FanBoy - Yes.
FourSevens Charger FanBoy - Not so much. I don't want three of them.

It's probably for the best. I'm broke. :broke:

~ Chance

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never mind it comes with something called a Flex Charger. I don't know anything about that so... everyone might want to stand back.

Wait... what? You mean I have to buy a new charger for the Mini Mk. II that I ordered?

:) You can purchase the aluminum Mini Mark II sans the charger; but all the pretty ones come with a charger. :) This isn't a problem if/when you only want one. However, if you were an early adopter and purchased the aluminum Mark II and now you'd like one or two more, you have to purchase a charger with each one. The chargers are cool, but I don't want two or three of them.

~ Chance
28mlbiq.jpg

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope everyone's Mini MkII works better than mine. It is a major mode-skipper. I contacted Foursevens support about the issue two weeks ago and haven't received a response.

I posted about this on Facebook when this light was first released and a couple of others also posted about this (Flashlight Fanatics group). I find that I have to be very deliberate in the twists when loosening and then tightening to get proper mode advancement. Doesn't give me as much trouble as it did when I first purchased it. Mine is the HA aluminum version.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted about this on Facebook when this light was first released and a couple of others also posted about this (Flashlight Fanatics group). I find that I have to be very deliberate in the twists when loosening and then tightening to get proper mode advancement. Doesn't give me as much trouble as it did when I first purchased it. Mine is the HA aluminum version.

I concur. VERY deliberate. I've owned 5-6 MkIs, and all of them could be used one-handed with no mode skipping, and only needed to be turned 1/8 turn or less to eliminate accidental activation. The MkII's requirement of "deliberate twists" as you point out, and the fact that the head must be loosened 1/2 a turn to eliminate accidental activation is a major step back in generational product development, IMO. Two hands and concentration to not skip modes are a requirement for operation of the MkII.

These are the loosest threads I've encountered in a twisty flashlight in years, and I wonder if it might be worse on my solid copper unit vs. a coated one.

Last edited: