500w LED optics

MAHU24

Newly Enlightened
I am in search of good quality 500w CREE LED chips and spot beam optics for it. I am going to build 2 LED light pods with the 500w LED's for my truck, I do a lot of off roading and my 96 F-350 headlights suck.

mds82

Enlightened
500 watts of LED light? do you have any idea how much light you are talking about there?? that practically enough to blind someone

nolumen

Newly Enlightened
I wonder what you've found so far. It looks like most requests for help here go unanswered. Maybe there aren't that many active members as it might seem. I've been trying to put a 500w LED project together. It's been taking me years, procrastination mostly, but I'm hoping to finally get it done. I've had to do and learn a bunch of different things working towards this project. Anyways, trying to answer your question, the most affordable options are the not so reliable ebay ones. I've seen some other that are 2 or three times more expensive, but not necessarily more reliable. When I bought mine on eBay it was about $120, not they're about $80. I hope that helps.

arek98

Enlightened
I think you are talking about LED light that is equivalent to 500W incandescent/halogen light. Otherwise (500W LED) you are asking for spaceship light not a truck light.

mahoney

Enlightened
There are 500 watt emitters available on ebay and other sites, caveat emptor about quality, and I'm not sure what options there are for optics and drivers. But...I'd be tempted to buy existing commercial flood light fixtures rather than build from scratch. There's a lot of engineering to be done to do it right. LEDs have to be kept cool or they die a fast death. A heat-sink that can dissipate the 250 or so watts of heat that a 500 watt LED will produce will be huge, and may require active or liquid cooling. And then there's the power issue...500 watts on a 12 volt system is at least 42 amps to the LED driver power supply, depending on efficiency..and you want to run 2 @ 500 watt fixtures. That will require a seriously upgraded alternator and battery system for the truck