• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Do you know why Chinese people send apples as gift in Christmas Eve?

gearbest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello CPF'ers,

Merry Christmas! How do you celebrate this Christmas?

Today is Christmas Eve in China, everyone get exciting and prepare for Christmas, so does Gearbest! We prepared a lot of apples as Christmas Eve gifts to our staff and friends this morning.
704580366.jpg

You mostly feel confused why Chinese people send apple each other in Christmas Eve. If you keep read this article, then you will find the answer at the end;)

As a big country with internationalization and globalization, a lot of foreign festivals are getting popular in China, like Christmas day. In Chinese language, the pronunciation of Christmas Eve is "Ping An Ye" (平安夜) and the pronunciation of apple is "Ping Guo" (苹果).
407127711.jpg

Both of the two words pronounce begin with "Ping" and "Ping" () means safe and peace in Chinese language. Therefore, Chinese people think send friends apples in Christmas Eve means the best wishes and bring good luck to their friends in the next year. Don't look down upon a $0.5 apple, in fact 'We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year'!
27198850082.jpg

812371GB575.jpg

How do you celebrate this Christmas? Do you use your flashlight as a decoration gift in your Xmas tree? ;)

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought was Apples as in a iPhone or iPad!!
My second thought was the game Ping Pong. That is a trade marked name for table tennis. Chinese love that game too.

Happy holidays too GB.

gearbest

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought was Apples as in a iPhone or iPad!!
My second thought was the game Ping Pong. That is a trade marked name for table tennis. Chinese love that game too.

Happy holidays too GB.

Haha...the gift we send is the fruit apple. An apple a day keeps the doctor away! :)

Yes, we love Ping Pong and play it from primary school
39178040.jpg

Happy Holidays :)

gearbest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks GB!!!

I use coin cell'd and triple A lights on my tree. But next year we'll be sure to add some apple shaped (styrofoam) items.

Good idea! It's so cool and interesting :twothumbs

gearbest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chinese LOVE puns and plays on words. Like how the number 4 is phonetically "death", so you shouldnt give things with "4". And 8 rhymes with prosper, and knives should never be a wedding present.

wow, you get the puns! "puns" it's a new word i learned, hahah...thanks:kiss:

Happy Holidays!
20j1nop.jpg

Mrty

Newly Enlightened
I have tried for two days to place order on GearBest it will not accept payment ? Anyone know of problem

gearbest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried for two days to place order on GearBest it will not accept payment ? Anyone know of problem

Hi Mrty, you can PM me more detail, i will check and reply you, thanks :)

Have a nice day!