Best protected 18650 batteries out now for flashlights?

Collins

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at probably getting the Zebralight headlamp H600Fc MK III. Seems like that is the best floody out from what I can tell. Seem it doesn't have bad colors that some have reported with the XHP35 headlamps.

I've just got the new Xtar Dragon VP4 charger for whater headlamp/batteries I go with.

I'm need a high quality 18650 battery. Recommendations? I've read of there being a 3600Mh out there that is on back order or something?

Looking for a high quality Panasonic cell with a very good protection circuit put in.

Thanks

Trango

Newly Enlightened
HI, first of, beware that the H600Fc only accepts batteries up to 69mm long, that said the Eagletac 3500mAh should do the job (68,5mm long), inside is a Sanyo NCR18650GA cell.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
HI, first of, beware that the H600Fc only accepts batteries up to 69mm long, that said the Eagletac 3500mAh should do the job (68,5mm long), inside is a Sanyo NCR18650GA cell.

The Sanyo NCR18650GA is sold on the ZL site. I got some when I ordered my H600fd MKiii HI and am happy with both light and cells.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't get too hung up on it being a Panasonic. There are cells of equal or better quality from Samsung, LG, and sanyo. Also don't zl now recommend non protected cells?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't get too hung up on it being a Panasonic. There are cells of equal or better quality from Samsung, LG, and sanyo. Also don't zl now recommend non protected cells?

I think a MAJOR reason why lots of people get hung up on Sanyo/Panasonic is that, if one insists on using only protected cells, few other cells are available protected. How often, for instance, do you find protected Samsung cells? If you wish to use some of these other cells, you can only use them unprotected. And not everyone is willing to do this.

As for the H600Fc III, I'm not sure what Zebralight recommends. Unlike the SC600 III and SC63, these headlamps actually still use dual springs, and can accommodate peotected cells. But unprotected cells WILL work better. And given Zebralight's good internal protection circuits, there is no reason NOT to use them.

stephenk

Enlightened
I'm looking at probably getting the Zebralight headlamp H600Fc MK III. Seems like that is the best floody out from what I can tell. Seem it doesn't have bad colors that some have reported with the XHP35 headlamps.

I've just got the new Xtar Dragon VP4 charger for whater headlamp/batteries I go with.

I'm need a high quality 18650 battery. Recommendations? I've read of there being a 3600Mh out there that is on back order or something?

Looking for a high quality Panasonic cell with a very good protection circuit put in.

Thanks
In which country do you live? Due to li-ion shipping regulations, the answer can affect the recommendations.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point never thought of no one using other cells with protection circuits

When you think about it, protected cells are just about the only reason why anyone out there still buys the NCR18650B anymore. There are certainly FAR better cells out there these days than the NCR18650B, and many of them are either cheaper or little more expensive (including Sanyo's NCR18650GA). But because SO many rewrappers are still using this cell for protected cells, people continue to buy it. Also, other than this cell and the newer NCR18650GA, there are few other quality cells offered as protected cells.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. I think it's because the lines between high capacity and high drain cells are shrinking so much that there's not as much need anymore for protected cells. The days of single lithium ion and 2x cr123 compatible lights are mostly over so the new lights have very good lvp built in and high cap cells are much less likely to vent with flame than the old chemistry. Not trying to start a protected vs non here that's been hashed out elsewhere
To the op: if you really need protected cells try to find the 3500mah ones from a reputable company. Most likely it will be the GA cell. Not that the difference of 3400 to 3500 is much a difference in capacity but the quality of the cell is much better. Just look at hjk's site with his comparator and look at the 3400mah Panasonic ncrB against just about any other 3000mah+ cell and look at where the voltage is at any point in the graph. The difference will be significant. It means a DD light will be brighter and a regulated light will stay in regulation much longer on high(not necessarily step down turbo modes).

stephenk

Enlightened
I would assume that a protected wrapping of high drain cell such a 30Q or VTC6 would require a relatively large protection circuit due to the increased current requirements (e.g. 4 or 5 MOSFETs). This may result in length fit issues.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
A high drain cell with a protection circuit doesn't need to provide 10+A under load. You could put a 5A PCB on it. You would still see all the other benefits of a safer chem cell with lower internal resistance

Collins

Newly Enlightened
True. I think it's because the lines between high capacity and high drain cells are shrinking so much that there's not as much need anymore for protected cells. The days of single lithium ion and 2x cr123 compatible lights are mostly over so the new lights have very good lvp built in and high cap cells are much less likely to vent with flame than the old chemistry. Not trying to start a protected vs non here that's been hashed out elsewhere
To the op: if you really need protected cells try to find the 3500mah ones from a reputable company. Most likely it will be the GA cell. Not that the difference of 3400 to 3500 is much a difference in capacity but the quality of the cell is much better. Just look at hjk's site with his comparator and look at the 3400mah Panasonic ncrB against just about any other 3000mah+ cell and look at where the voltage is at any point in the graph. The difference will be significant. It means a DD light will be brighter and a regulated light will stay in regulation much longer on high(not necessarily step down turbo modes).

I'm sticking with protected cells just to be extra safe. Much rather have the extra safety features even if the non-safety version might perform a little better or something. Just not worth the risk to me with regards to fires.

I had read that there was something special about the 3500 compared to others. I've also seen there is a 3600 that seems to be on backordered. But I'm guessing that 3600 is the same thing as say a 3400. And that the 3500 is a unique cell.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just look at hjk's site with his comparator and look at the 3400mah Panasonic ncrB against just about any other 3000mah+ cell and look at where the voltage is at any point in the graph. The difference will be significant. It means a DD light will be brighter and a regulated light will stay in regulation much longer on high(not necessarily step down turbo modes).

And when it comes to REAL capacity, 3000mAH high drain cells actually give up very little compared to, say, the NCR18650B (or even the NCR18650GA). The Sony VTC6, for instance, only falls about 100mAH short of the NCR18650B, while providing MUCH higher voltage every step of the way. The NCR18650GA fares somewhat better, but still falls short in capacity compared to its rating when stacked up against cells like the VTC6.

Last edited:

stephenk

Enlightened
I'm sticking with protected cells just to be extra safe. Much rather have the extra safety features even if the non-safety version might perform a little better or something. Just not worth the risk to me with regards to fires.

I had read that there was something special about the 3500 compared to others. I've also seen there is a 3600 that seems to be on backordered. But I'm guessing that 3600 is the same thing as say a 3400. And that the 3500 is a unique cell.
The 3500mAh protected cells are usually wrapped Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA cells, which is the best performing high capacity cell.
Recommended brands (depending on which country you reside) include Orbtronic, Keeppower, Evva, and Blazar which have protection circuits that allow at least 8A under load.

A high drain cell with a protection circuit doesn't need to provide 10+A under load. You could put a 5A PCB on it. You would still see all the other benefits of a safer chem cell with lower internal resistance
Theoretically a protected 30Q could have a higher current cut off then a protected GA (e.g. 15A instead of 10A) as long as the PCB has additional MOSFETs. This would allow protected cells for lights (or e-cigs) that can pull more Amps (e.g. with FET driver).

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's no different. Just a newer cell. They get better as time progresses. Looks like a good choice. It's either a sanyo GA or an LG mj1. They're basically interchangeable and the best non high drain cell out there

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's no different. Just a newer cell. They get better as time progresses. Looks like a good choice. It's either a sanyo GA or an LG mj1. They're basically interchangeable and the best non high drain cell out there

I wouldn't say that. Not only do the newer cells have a little more capacity, they also maintain their voltage MUCH better than the old 3400s. This means the light stays brighter longer, even if its performance is blunted somewhat by a protection circuit.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's exactly what I meant. It's a newer generation cell. So it's better. But it's not different any more than every 18650 is different from another one of a different manufacturer/line. The OP said it's different than a typical 18650. But there is no typical. They're all different. I agree with you this is a much better cell than the ncrB. Of course so is an alkaline AAA😀

Collins

Newly Enlightened
That's exactly what I meant. It's a newer generation cell. So it's better. But it's not different any more than every 18650 is different from another one of a different manufacturer/line. The OP said it's different than a typical 18650. But there is no typical. They're all different. I agree with you this is a much better cell than the ncrB. Of course so is an alkaline AAA

I was comparing the "new" 3500 10A 18650 with the 3400 that is commonly used. Was keeping an eye out for the 3600, but that never got back in stock. I'm guessing the 3600 is similar to the 3400.

My understanding is the new 3500 has a safer chemistry and the commonly used 3400 type 18650.