Surefire 8AX Commander

crrcoal

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I was digging through an old gear bag and found my 8AX commander I used many years ago. The flashlight looks in great shape however I can't find the charger. Looking on the net I see that the light has been discontinued for quit some time. Is there a way to upgrade this light? I'd hate to throw it away or use it as a paper weight.

Thanks!

Andy

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha I can sell you a charger; I have two. The battery might pose a problem, but I know you can have those rebuilt...

Batteries can still be found, just did a Google search for the B90 and found it for around $20USD.

Interestingly, the B90 is listed as a 3.6v NiCad battery pack with 1800mAh capacity. Most 18650 Li-Ion cells nowadays can give almost double that.

What's really hard to believe is that apparently there seem to be some online sources that still have the 8AX IN STOCK!!! Not sure I believe them though.

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
I know of a place that still has even the Surefire 10X Dominator in new stock! ;)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
best advice:
get a 1*18650 light instead, it is better in every respect
(smaller, lighter, cheaper, more energy in cell)
1 * 18650 host + P60 led insert

some ideas:
* You only need a Ni-Mh/Ni-Cad charger that can charge 3 cells in series ... no big deal
* HOMEMADE battery stick (from "cutdown" 7.2 V "racing packs") instead of anything "original" ... there are a few threads that show how

my view - from modding around with these lights (8X, 9N, similar) when they were top notch:
NOT ENOUGH SPACE inside light to do it good!
for the 8X: when widening the hole inside the head just a bit, so that a P60 (led) insert fits in ... thats possibly best mod for an 8X
... and "removable", as the original LA still would work

but I would else keep it as "Piece of history" - with no intended real use - or sell it to a collector ... for a fortune ;)

rockhound42

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up a brand new in its box 8AX Commander for a good price, to go with the KT5 turbohead I picked up last year very cheaply. All seems to be working ok. Only incan i've had before this was old Maglites. Not the brightest light I've got but like it and think I'll get some good use out of it as well as a bit of head scratching to figure out some LED mods without compromising the originality of the light.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up a brand new in its box 8AX Commander for a good price, to go with the KT5 turbohead I picked up last year very cheaply. All seems to be working ok. Only incan i've had before this was old Maglites. Not the brightest light I've got but like it and think I'll get some good use out of it as well as a bit of head scratching to figure out some LED mods without compromising the originality of the light.

Good score. That was the bomb back in the day.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I'd love to stick a different battery in that light. Is there someone who does the mod to fit the P60 head?

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked up a modded battery tube for the 8AX Commander from CPF Member Altermann. He make them from aluminum. It converts this light to 18650, and is very high quality. Strongly recommended.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a streamlight stinger battery in the 8ax. However, you cannot charge it on the surefire charger. It must be charged on the stinger charger. If you already have a stinger and charger you will have the capability to charge the battery for the 8ax/8nx.

There is no LED lamp or upgrade that will fit in the 8 series as far as I know. They use a larger diameter lamp module than the P60. I have heard of some people shaving off a small amount of material on the light that holds the lamp module in place in order to fit a P60 type lamp. I have not done this and not sure how well it works. There are some posts on this here on CPF.

Last edited: