Help me choose -- HDS vs Muyshondt for low-light usage...

Help Me Choose - HDS vs Muyshondt

• HDS High-CRI Rotary

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Muyshondt Aeon Mk. III

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thought I'd lean on fellow flashaholics while trying to make a tough decision -- I'm primarily torn between the HDS Rotary 200 High-CRI and the Muyshondt Aeon Mk. III. I've owned several HDS Clicky lights in the past, but have never seen or used any lights from Muyshondt.

Here's what I anticipate using the light for:

• Low-light close up reading of books and maps (1 lumen or less, floody CRI beam desired).
  • Primary EDC light for general usage.
  • Nighttime dog walks.

Off the top of my head, here are a few pro's and con's for each, although take these with a grain of salt. I know both manufacturers are at the top of their game, and I'm sure both are awesome lights. And I fully expect to hear some answers like, "buy both", LOL. :)

HDS Rotary Pro's:
- Sub 1 lumen low modes.
- Very customizable.
- Lifetime warranty.
- I have a bunch of CR123's sitting around.

HDS Rotary Con's:
- Heavier weight for pocket carry.
- Pocket clip options not appealing.

Muyshondt Aeon Mk. III Pro's:
- Small size and light weight for pocket carry.
- Pocket clip looks great and functional.

Muyshondt Aeon Mk. III Con's:
- Limited 1 year warranty.
- Not much in the way of rechargeable CR2 cells.

Connor

Enlightened
Other: Zebralight SC600Fd III+, high CRI, super floody, 0.18 0.37 0.76 lumen modes

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other: Zebralight SC600Fd III+, high CRI, super floody, 0.18 0.37 0.76 lumen modes
I'll agree with this. As a light to live with everyday this is your best bet if you want something premium.

The HDS has its pros and cons compared to the Zebralight, it is more durable and can on run more types of cells CR123, 16340, 18650 on the other hand though it is more expensive and does not have a bright High CRI setting like the Zebralight.

But I can't see a reason to get the Muyshondt, its better as a work of art than a flashlight. It's expensive, runs on a CR2 and doesn't offer anything not seen elsewhere.

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, you got most of the pros/cons already. I've had/have a mess of HDSs and several Muyshondts including the Aeon Mk. III currently.

If you wear dress pants a lot and want a small unobtrusive light to carry around the office for general small lighting tasks that is simple to use and very classy, the Aeon is a fantastic choice. It is my go-to when I am dressed up.

If you mostly wear jeans, will use the light in harder situations such as around the garage, in the woods etc, and like the versatility of a programmable interface or you will use the light for extended periods necessitating rechargeables, I think the HDS is a better choice.

I love the lights Enrique puts out, but with the exception of possibly the new Flieger he introduced, I would have a hard time restricting myself to one of his lights such as an Aeon as my ONE light. But, I think an HDS could be the ONE light that does basically everything for me, if I had to choose.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing throwing me off from saying that the HDS is the light for you is that you said "floody" and its not a very floody light. Its got a brighter spill area that a lot of lights I've used, but its still quite focused. I've got an HCri200 Rotary, by the way, and I think its one of the best lights on the market, at any price point. Its that good.

For a more floody beam you can always go the 'ole dc fix route. I did it to mine. Here's some beamshots:

Whitewall, clear lens:
bVQdkhb.jpg

Whitewall, DC Fix'ed:
tRck6yv.jpg

Stuff, clear lens:
Y8yGvWn.jpg

Stuff, DC Fix'ed:
pEl4VSr.jpg

And as far as clips go, I think its hard to beat the Moddoo clips, assuming you can find one and don't hate bezel-up carry.
VKLh6ZV.jpg

The DarkSucks clips are nice too though, and easy to come by.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you've only seen photos of these, you may find the HDS to be surprisingly large for a 1x CR123A torch.

That said, when you include "general EDC" in the list of primary tasks for this item, the HDS would certainly be my personal choice (of these two listed) .

For me, the flexible programmability, extensive low light options, and very robust nature of the HDS would outweigh the possible disadvantages of being less compact.

Also, for EDC purposes, having the choice to run on rechargeable batteries instead of primaries-only (and the primaries being of a generally more common type) is another strong plus ....

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they have started producing clips again. Not sure if they offer the one that fits the HDS though. Which one is that exactly?

This one?
http://www.oveready.com/clip-store/universal-spring-stainless-steel-clip/prod_112.html

Not sure exactly since I bought it second-hand off the marketplace. Its not that exact one though, since its titanium.

If you've only seen photos of these, you may find the HDS to be surprisingly large for a 1x CR123A torch.

I've got a (bad) photo for that too, if the OP wants to see:
LQZfGIj.jpg

Here's a CR123 cell, along with a small CR123-sized light and then the HDS, which is practically as big as a small 18650 sized light. What this photo doesn't show is that the HDS is quite a bit heavier than the Zebra. Its definitely a beefy light. Don't let that discourage you though, unless the size is an issue. I've had a lot of lights but that HCri200 Rotary is definitely one of my favorites. I would choose it over lights that cost twice as much.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Excellent comparison photo @emarkd ... thanks for posting that up

You even include 1" graph paper, lol :)

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
OP indicates he has owned several Clickies in the past so he probably is familiar with the size, but if he needs an HDS/Aeon comparison I could take a pic of that.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering what you're using it for, I would go with the HDS; the HDS trumps almost all lights in terms of everyday practicality. What Muyshondts lack in practicality they appreciate more as a form of art. On another note, when I got my HDS, it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be...guess that's what happens when your first one-cell light is an Elzetta [emoji23]

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary 200 High-CRI and the Muyshondt Aeon Mk. III.
Other than similar price and LED, those two lights have very little in common
Aeon Mk3 Aluminum weighs 34 grams
HDS Rotary weighs 102 grams

It seems you have a desire for a $300+ light, which also puts you in McGizmo territory

another option with Nichia LED, floody, and with a 1 lumen low is the Nitecore TIP, that weighs 21 grams, but it may be too inexpensive :devil: for your needs.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Aeon.

Don't let the one year warranty cool your jets. It's made of top quality stuff and backed by the builder himself.
Extremely limited edition lights are just that... extremely limited. So there aint a bunch of parts left over, partly because failure rate is low and partly because there weren't many made.

Now if your lights fails in say 2 years under normal conditions I'd wager the builder would make it right one way or another. In 10? That isn't a practical way to remain in business when you aren't churning out a bunch of product.

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on your needs, my vote goes to the HDS. I have carried much smaller cr123 lights such as 47 Mini, but the HDS size was never a problem for me. I still carry a 120 lumens xp-g HCRI even though I have brighter lights of similar size.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I think that the answer might lie in an evaluation of the "dog walking" activity. If you are going to run the light continuously at moderate to high output level, you should consider just how fast you'll burn thru CR2 cells. If this isn't an issue, it's a choice based mostly on size. I personally love the flexibility of the HDS and the instant access to Max output for "Where did that dog go?" or "What is my dog chasing?"

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Sasquatch sir.....you want a Malkoff MDC AA. You'll have the best flashlight and loads of extra cash to take your dog for a walk wherever he or she wants to go for a walk. You should also get a Fenix E01.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS or other options, just not the mushondt mainly due to the silly CR2 battery. Nowadays, with how small 16340 and 18350 size lights are enabling them to have high output and/or longer runtimes , there's no sense in using a smaller inferior battery.

ven

Flashaholic
Dont have a Muyshondt so cant comment there, other than the fuel type would not be ideal for me personally. The HDS is an awesome tank and feels a nice in hand size. I dont want a light to disappear in my hand, i like to know and feel it there , so my vote is HDS rotary for the UI/build/hi cri/fuel type options.

Malkoff would be another good option , flexible in choices and fuel to suit...................