He is the Master

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
11k9zeb.jpg

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
No not yet Steve but I believe Michael is very close. We're on the home stretch for sure... I think it'll be worth the wait. ;-)

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks OG :)

HOWEVER... THIS thread is all about celebrating the genius of MJ (aka saabluster) the creator of the longest throwing LED flashlights in the world!!!

210by46.jpg

BUT, could the world record mark of 1.3m cd that Mr. Johnson achieved merely one year ago ever be in danger of being surpassed? Well I couldn't say, but when saabluster becomes inspired the bounds of possibility are often redefined.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks OG :)

HOWEVER... THIS thread is all about celebrating the genius of MJ (aka saabluster) the creator of the longest throwing LED flashlights in the world!!!
Oh my Mr Wimmer. Genius is pushing it. As I mentioned to you before it is, more than anything, passion mixed with stubbornness. If you care and keep at it long enough you can make great things happen.

BUT, could the world record mark of 1.3m cd that Mr. Johnson achieved merely one year ago ever be in danger of being surpassed? Well I couldn't say, but when saabluster becomes inspired the bounds of possibility are often redefined.
I will admit to being inspired. The recent developments in the LED industry have ticked me off. I'm looking at you Cree and your silly XPG3. It has ticked me off and spurred me to develop my own technology further. I have had some genuine breakthroughs and many failures. I have been producing data from testing at an alarming rate. And spending money at an alarming rate too. :faint: Although I am not going to go into detail I am working on fundamental improvements. Not just dedoming and boosting. The fruits of the labors will be incorporated into something available to the community. It is a bit too early to fully commit to specifics but beating my prior record seems plausible. ;)

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Michael, it's really nice to see you back here with a post and some great news.

:thumbsup::popcorn:

Last edited:

emu124

Enlightened
I will admit to being inspired. The recent developments in the LED industry have ticked me off. I'm looking at you Cree and your silly XPG3. It has ticked me off and spurred me to develop my own technology further. I have had some genuine breakthroughs and many failures. I have been producing data from testing at an alarming rate. And spending money at an alarming rate too. :faint: Although I am not going to go into detail I am working on fundamental improvements. Not just dedoming and boosting. The fruits of the labors will be incorporated into something available to the community. It is a bit too early to fully commit to specifics but beating my prior record seems plausible. ;)

Sounds pretty dangerous for my wallet :aaa:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to tease. As a result of one channel of my research I can now increase the intensity of any LED(all the ones I've tried anyway) 15% over OEM. Theorize I can reach a minimum of 25% increase. I have two basic research paths. Increasing intensity for aspheric and for reflector based lights. Up to now reflector based lights were at a significant disadvantage as the recycling collar is not really usable in that application. A new solution I am developing will be applicable for use in all reflector based lights although this particular solution is not compatible with the collar. To be clear this is over and above dedoming and does not require more current. Although I am pursuing that path as well.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just going to put this out there. I have been corresponding with Wimmer some and I'm finding myself emotionally worked up. Enough that I feel knots in my stomach. But in a good way. I'll explain.

Not too terribly long ago Wimmer asked if there was any new developments that could be incorporated into his DEFT-X. To be honest I haven't been keeping up with the throw world which all these years has been my number one love by far. Instead I have been working to create the world's brightest handheld light. But for some reason when Wimmer asked me I decided to look into it. And I was mortified to find the industry moving backwards in LED intensity. Every time I think of this new XPG3 I feel sick at my stomach. But this caused me to really question things. I began to realize that the industry's goals are not my goals. They just want more overall output and a cheap price. I want throw. And more throw. And more throw. It was simply a matter of time before our paths diverged. I think in the end the industry will come back around as the market becomes comoditized and differentiation becomes more important than it is today but for now things stink.

I had another realization. I have relied way too much on the industry to move forward my goals with simple bin upgrades. I am now thinking in a far deeper, more holistic way than ever before. Before I'd hope and pray that all the best components of the finished LED would come together in one unit. But it NEVER happened! It has always been the case that one company would have the best phosphor while the other the best chips. Now I am examining all the companies and taking the best from each to build my own dream LED. I am tired of waiting for them to do it so I'm doing it myself. As I said earlier I really don't think it is genius. It is passion and determination. I am feeling more passionate about my craft than I have ever before. So much so that I am feeling it physically. As I said my stomach is in knots. I'm frustrated. I'm dumbfounded. But I am also excited for what new technology is yet to be discovered to improve my favorite little niche in the lighting industry.

ven

Flashaholic
I disagree...............it is genius :twothumbs

I am sure it will pay off with your dedication , and determination . The xpg3 does seem a let down, i presume the xhp35 HI is too large a die to what you want(seems to be around the 800kcd in the tn42 host with a little more push and focus). But it has the output on its side, to make up for being larger.

Good luck, i am sure you have pretty much all of CPF's interest. Help ease the frustration with a world record LED thrower in the making...............history in the making. Even the worst parts of it, are all in the making to you reach your goal. Your integrity and fastidiousness is unparalleled............................... and its always a pleasure to read your posts and findings.

:cool:

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I agree with wimmer and ven. You are very in tune with your desires and it's driving you to accomplish something no body else has this qualifies as genius. Great write up and success with wimmers light. I'm still enjoying my rev captor very much. You do amazing work. Don't stress over it because it will happen. [emoji106]

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not at all... the work you're doing is important and YOU are a rock star. It's important well beyond what I'm capable of expressing, but I'll give it my best try....

Michael, we don't shine our flashlights because it's cute. We shine because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion.

Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But mega throwers, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?
2q3ryug.jpg