New Nitecore P30 Video Review. Highly Recommended Small Thrower Light

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
The New P30 is a surprising new economical release from Nitecore. This light was sent to me from Andrew-Amanda.com for review on YouTube. P30 is quite small for a dedicated thrower, even compared with Olight's M2X UT. Testing specs of the P30, it definitely holds it's ground against the Olight M2x UT while being considerably more than just a shave smaller.

Check out my video review along with short explanation and demonstration of my testing methodology.

Also, if you like the video, it's much appreciated to take a moment on YouTube to like and/or subscribe, more content coming soon.

Watch on YouTube

Last edited:
I'd buy one if vihn modded it and took it up to 850-1100 meters of throw lol. 600-700 doesn't really impress me anymore after using a Manker u21vn.

It would need a size to output ratio enhancement to cause a second compact thrower purchase for me, but awesome review and a good light option for someone without a thrower yet of this size.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
The stock model impresses me,but I'm easy to impress. I also recommend this light for modding.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't seem to have the substantial heatsinking of the U21. If Vinh were to modify it, it wouldn't be quite the performer of the U21vn, which can sustain constant turbo without thermal issues.

I like the look of the light, but when things like the U21, M2X-UT, and M30LC2 are slightly larger but still fit comfortably in a jacket pocket, I see this light as being very niche.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I like your home made "light box." I use a 1/2 gallon milk carton box that is also white color on the inside.

I have the P30 and really like it. I'm not into throwers but wanted at least one. I had the Nitecore MT40GT and prefer the P30. I think the max lumen throw and output specs are the same. Mode spacing a lot better on the P30 and I didn't care for the strobe mixed in with the head loosened operation of the MT40GT. Also the MT40GT didn't have a very low, "low mode". Price point when on sale is a lot less to some of the other CPF favorites, but if not into throwers and don't want to plunk down a lot of $$, this light is a good bargain. I know some don't like the mode select button on the side but I do and when the P30 came out, I bought, and the MT40GT got sold. I know the MT40GT with 2 batteries would last longer but I just carry extra batteries.

I know it won't tail stand (too top heavy), but I'm not sure about the unprotected button on the tail cap and have asked my dealer to order me a different tail cap switch, such as the one that is on the MT40GT or MT20C. (There are other Nitecore models that I'm sure would work, but those were the only ones I had to try).

I also use mine with the cigar grip ring installed and didn't bother with the pocket clip.

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I'd buy one if vihn modded it and took it up to 850-1100 meters of throw lol. 600-700 doesn't really impress me anymore after using a Manker u21vn.

It would need a size to output ratio enhancement to cause a second compact thrower purchase for me, but awesome review and a good light option for someone without a thrower yet of this size.
I don't think Vinh, or anyone else for that matter, will be able to mod the light very much. The resistance is already too low and the LED is built around a custom shaped driver in order to make the light as compact as it is. However, the tail-cap is swappable with any of Nitecore's SRT type lights as well as Solarforce tail-caps for those that want to tail stand the light. As far as modding the output, it can be bumped up about an extra 100 lumens via resistor bypass.

Thanks, I'm glad you like the review. I should have also mentioned just how particularly clean looking the beam profile is for this light. Even the MX2 UT wasn't as clean as the P30.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
It doesn't seem to have the substantial heatsinking of the U21. If Vinh were to modify it, it wouldn't be quite the performer of the U21vn, which can sustain constant turbo without thermal issues.

I like the look of the light, but when things like the U21, M2X-UT, and M30LC2 are slightly larger but still fit comfortably in a jacket pocket, I see this light as being very niche.
It actually stays rather cool for the amount of output that it does have. Not much modding (see two posts above) but interchangeable with some Solarforce parts. The U21 is a bit of a tank weighing in at double the P30 weight. I'd say the beam profile is exceptionally clean and definitely better than the Manker I have in direct comparison. Niche? or necessary? I say bring the smaller light with similar performance. The P30 isn't just a wee shave smaller than M2x, it's actually a fair measure smaller and lighter. But, if you already own one of these lights then maybe it's enough to give pause. Thank you for watching and commenting.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Nice review. I like your home made "light box." I use a 1/2 gallon milk carton box that is also white color on the inside.

I have the P30 and really like it. I'm not into throwers but wanted at least one. I had the Nitecore MT40GT and prefer the P30. I think the max lumen throw and output specs are the same. Mode spacing a lot better on the P30 and I didn't care for the strobe mixed in with the head loosened operation of the MT40GT. Also the MT40GT didn't have a very low, "low mode". Price point when on sale is a lot less to some of the other CPF favorites, but if not into throwers and don't want to plunk down a lot of $$, this light is a good bargain. I know some don't like the mode select button on the side but I do and when the P30 came out, I bought, and the MT40GT got sold. I know the MT40GT with 2 batteries would last longer but I just carry extra batteries.

I know it won't tail stand (too top heavy), but I'm not sure about the unprotected button on the tail cap and have asked my dealer to order me a different tail cap switch, such as the one that is on the MT40GT or MT20C. (There are other Nitecore models that I'm sure would work, but those were the only ones I had to try).

I also use mine with the cigar grip ring installed and didn't bother with the pocket clip.
I agree, the P30 really has a lot in it's corner. I really like Nitecore's when they "get a light right". All the modes are spaced great and look great, even the blinky modes. I switched the tailcaps on mine also with the SRT-7 tailcap and works great. Very easy to use and easy to carry around. Getting a couple of Solarforce tailcaps in tomorrow and going to try those two. Thanks for your comment.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I say niche I do mean niche, for my uses anyways. I'm not a holster kind of guy, so when I view flashlights from a portability standpoint, I don't view them as small gradations and variations of size, I tend to lump them together in big tiers:

1. jeans pocket
2. cargo pants pocket
3. jacket/coat pocket
4. this thing's too big so it's gotta have a shoulder strap.

For me, the U21 is too large for a jeans or cargo pants pocket, but small enough for a jacket/coat pocket. The P30 seems like it's in that same category. If I'm putting either light in my jacket/coat pocket, I'm taking the one that can achieve much better performance and manage heat better.

For someone who's sensitive to weight and/or carries their light on a holster, I could see the P30 having a use.

My U21vn handles heat well enough that it can handle the 1600lumen turbo of the XPL HI without ever having to step down. Naturally though, as the battery voltage sags, so will the output.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
When I say niche I do mean niche, for my uses anyways. I'm not a holster kind of guy, so when I view flashlights from a portability standpoint, I don't view them as small gradations and variations of size, I tend to lump them together in big tiers:

1. jeans pocket
2. cargo pants pocket
3. jacket/coat pocket
4. this thing's too big so it's gotta have a shoulder strap.

For me, the U21 is too large for a jeans or cargo pants pocket, but small enough for a jacket/coat pocket. The P30 seems like it's in that same category. If I'm putting either light in my jacket/coat pocket, I'm taking the one that can achieve much better performance and manage heat better.

For someone who's sensitive to weight and/or carries their light on a holster, I could see the P30 having a use.

My U21vn handles heat well enough that it can handle the 1600lumen turbo of the XPL HI without ever having to step down. Naturally though, as the battery voltage sags, so will the output.

That's great for you twistedraven. However, for many people it would not be merely a matter of the parameters you've listed when or if considering either of these lights for purchase. There are many other things to consider.

These lights share some similarities ok. For me, and I'm sure others as well, the P30 and U21VN are very different on several points. The P30 is both half the weight of the U21VN. It is also half the price of the U21VN. Also many people are not seeking out modified lights when purchasing an LED flashlight. The P30 has a rear mechanical tail switch with forward clicking. This is a tactical feature which is critical for many who can't afford to be fumbling around looking for the switch in particular situations, or simply don't like to have to eyeball the light to know where the switch is every time they turn it on. So I feel that the either/or perspective when it comes to these two lights, while it may work for you, may also be misleading to many. I appreciate that you like the U21VN though, that's great.

Not to pick a side or add fuel to a potential debate or perspective wars but... twistedraven you hit the nail on the head for my personal use as well. I'd say that's a great classification and reasoning, maybe we are supposed to be friends or something lol. Also love my U21vn and wont be buying another thrower until I find something that has a better size to output/throw ratio under 150$ a year out or greater from now.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Not to pick a side or add fuel to a potential debate or perspective wars but... twistedraven you hit the nail on the head for my personal use as well. I'd say that's a great classification and reasoning, maybe we are supposed to be friends or something lol. Also love my U21vn and wont be buying another thrower until I find something that has a better size to output/throw ratio under 150$ a year out or greater from now.

I don't think you're picking a side or adding fuel to anything. But I would like to say a few more things on this topic if you will.

Yes, you guys with the U21 have stated your case for your own personal taste for a flashlight other than that in the thread topic. I however still find these two lights very different on many points and the P30 an extremely worthwhile light on it's own. Size, price, ease of use, and weight are all undeniably much stronger points of the P30 when/if comparing it to the U21/VN. However, the point of this thread is simply to show that there is a great little thrower light available for around $60, not compare/contrast to other different, more expensive lights. I do appreciate you like the u21VN. I have several lights from Vinh Nguyen, love them all, reviewed a few of them and will review more. So it's not that I particularly mind that you express how much you like the U21VN, but I want to be clear that I find these to be quite different lights, with many differing characteristics. Maybe not to you, but to me, and I'm sure others as well. With regards to price alone, I'm sure there's more than a few people looking to spend less than $75. on a flashlight and would be extremely hard pressed to do better than the P30 for a small dedicated thrower. I know this doesn't include you, but in defense of the P30, paying around $60- $70 alone is an outstanding point for this light. Thanks for your discussion guys.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for another great review . Absolutely agree that for the price it would be very hard to find one that performs as well as this.

Sarratt

Enlightened
I have Nitecore ea81 and I thought the beam was nice .......... I really like the P30 beam ...but I can't justify another light :shakehead

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I have Nitecore ea81 and I thought the beam was nice .......... I really like the P30 beam ...but I can't justify another light :shakehead
That's the same boat we're all in around here. A lot of people jumping out too. Oh well, it's a nice big splash. lol
Here's a little fuel for you.... I think the P30 would be easier to manage than the ea81 as far as batteries with it's single 18650. Not to mention easier to carry.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish the P30 had a buck/boost driver to maintain constant output on max as long as temperature allows, came in 4000K-5000K NW, were a bit longer for a more comfortable hold, and a screwed on tactical ring that doesn't spin freely.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I wish the P30 had a buck/boost driver to maintain constant output on max as long as temperature allows, came in 4000K-5000K NW, were a bit longer for a more comfortable hold, and a screwed on tactical ring that doesn't spin freely.
It doesn't behave as a boost/buck driver would and the tint is, well nothing beyond adequate imo. Those are a couple negatives, ok. But a bit longer? And screwed on tactical ring? The ring on this light stays pretty darn firm. What would be the advantage of having it affix in the most permanent fashion as would be the case if screwed on?

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't behave as a boost/buck driver would and the tint is, well nothing beyond adequate imo. Those are a couple negatives, ok. But a bit longer? And screwed on tactical ring? The ring on this light stays pretty darn firm. What would be the advantage of having it affix in the most permanent fashion as would be the case if screwed on?

I figured the body of the P30 is shorter than that of the Surefire 6p, which I find just long enough to fit my whole palm, so the P30 would not be comfortable to hold in my hand, as I prefer not to lay my ring and little finger on the wider neck.

I read in another review that the tactical ring is loose and spins around freely. To me, that's like having a clip that spins around freely. If like you say it actually stays in place, then that's fine.