Backpack Winter Run with Prepper Talk and Gear!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
We have all read the stories. Someone was driving on unfamiliar roads during a winter storm. One thing leads to another and they end up going 5-10 miles down a dirt road only too get snowed in. Then begins the survival situation which sometimes has a happy ending and other times not so much. The ending of the situation however is by no means the end of the story. Seconds after the news is reported the threads are posted. Then the fun begins.

OMG! They used a GPS to navigate. That's proof technology is bad! But maybe a cellphone saved them so technology is good! Naw it's still bad as back in our Grandfather's day no one got lost. Often there is second guessing, boasting and wild speculation mixed in with sympathy, understanding and good advise. Odds are I have said all of these things in the past, wild boasting included. The conflicting view points will get debated but one thing is always universally agreed upon. We ALL wouldn't have made similar mistakes and even so would have handled the situation better. Really? Do we have the gear always on hand and the physical conditioning to hump 5-10 miles on abandoned snow covered dirt roads in very cold temperatures, in the mist of a storm or other mitigating factors such as sleep/hydration/food deprivation should the need arise. Now I am not saying this is the best course of action. Often a car is easier to see than a person but we have all read the stories. Someone ALWAYS leaves the car and we ALWAYS would have done better once on foot. Those are the rules of the game it would seem.

So how do we know? Granted we aren't talking about climbing Mount Everest but odds are it would be harder than eating a hot pocket talking smack on the internet. Lets field test it. The setup. It has been snowing all day temps in the teens looking to go lower. The wind is blowing and the snow won't stop till 12 am. 5-10 miles seems to be the magic distance someone drives off a main road into the twilight zone. To simulate this I will park at the head of dirt road which is closed to traffic but open to walking. It even has trails going off the dirt road for that all important aspect of leaving the road. Leaving the dirt road always seems to be an important part of the experience. Don't ask me why, I don't make the rules. To add stress I will be running the entire time. Sure. Why not.

Internet smack talk field test....GO!

Tossed stuff I normally keep in the truck into this pack. Ok sometimes the contents change and occasionally gets moved around aka life happens.
Notice the red things. I keep a set of Micro spikes in my truck during winter. Nearly super human traction. Slips, trips and falls are often part of the entire exposure experience. Given my luck best to mitigate risks.

Speaking of risks driving home is going to suck.

One mile in are my new friends, the beavers! The wind, snow and pack were slowing me down a bit but kept running. On a side note sometimes slower is better as sweating up during cold weather can be a killer. I didn't feel stressed so kept going.

The beaver lake is growing. I wonder if there will be trout in the spring?

Let's take a look at the kit. I have an Armytek Predator flashlight with 2XCR123 attached to the belt of a Kifaru Pointman. Gets rarely used so wanted batteries which wouldn't be an issue. A good flashlight but not my preferred which is a Malkoff MD2 but like to keep that in my other bag.

So what's in the pack?

1. The backwoods brawler medium sized PSK! Was gifted to me then modified. It has all the basics including FAK, firekit, cordage, signalling etc etc etc. I will go over this at a later date but the idea is to have a PSK inside the vehicle if possible. I have several PSKs so one is always available or at least that's my hope.

2. Tyvek protective suit. Past the field testing so it's now part of the vehicle kit. Best of all these are cheap so if someone breaks into my truck robbing the kit (happened before) the loss in minimal. In fact nothing in there is really that expensive excluding the pack which isn't kept within the truck.

3. Bushcraft outfitters MEST. A small UL tarp which is inexpensive and durable plus made in the USA (This one made out of USA materials but the imported fabric is probably just as good). Again I don't want to take a big hit in the wallet if this stuff is robbed. Good gear at a reasonable price and worthy of a link.

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/MEST-Coyote-mest-coyote.htm

4. Cellphone with lithium ion charging kit. I will go into the charging kit at a later date but often it seems a cellphone can be of help.

5. GSI Stainless Kettle. Always feel better when there is a kettle around. Not that expensive either.

6. Nalgene canteen. I don't leave it inside the truck overnight during the coldest of the cold. Sometimes substituted for bottled water. For some reason my insulated cover is MIA. I gotta find that. Occasionally will pack a thermos during an extreme cold snap. Hold on. Cold snap is so 1999. Today it's called a polar vortex. Again I don't make the rules.

7. Headlamp with lithium primary AA battery. It gets dark sooner during winter. It seems I am out more at night than during the day.

8. BHK Stainless Large Scandi Tiger Knapp with LMF ferro rod. Often I will replace that with a Mora knife and ferro rod combo but this is what I had today. Again to mitigate loss from theft.

9. Had some snacks but left those inside the truck. Wasn't planing on being out too long.

10. Clothing. I have extra socks, hat and gloves in the truck but also this.

A long insulated synthetic trench coat style jacket which I think can be folded into a pack. It has shoulder straps sewn in for that purpose. One day when my limited attention span always will try the 9 steps to make the pack. The poncho is Zombie green which can be seen.

Always have boots in the truck.

Lets keep going.

All done. Jogged 7 miles through the snow on the trails and the dirt road.

The weather did slow me down a bit. I wished the sun glasses weren't left back in the truck as the snow was blowing into my eyes. This entire thing is no big deal but do you have a kit ready to go in your vehicle and the conditioning to survive the infamous lost in the car survival situation. Really? Field test it for yourself.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread Walker. Very much enjoyed reading and watching. I have many similar items you carry. I to am a big baggie fan. I use hillpeoplegear ute packs and the tarahumara pack and attachments. Keep your incredible threads coming. Very helpful and much enjoyable. [emoji106]

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks for the reminder to go through my vehicle bag. I try to do it quarterly, when the generators get exercised. That was last week with temps in the teens. I found out I can pull start my big Honda if needed, the battery tried, but didn't cut it. Inventory, practice, rotate... And kudos for the conditioning! I keep saying I need to get off my arse.