Which headlamp for emergency use ... ?

• Skilhunt H03F (18650 / 2*CR123)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nitecore HC30 (18650 / 2*CR123)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

isn4i

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning to equip my first aid kit with head lamp. I'll rarely need to use the headlamp inside the EDC/first aid kit unless its an emergency. But when I need it, it has to work and work well.

my options are

1. Zebralight H603 (18650 / 2*CR123)
2. Zebralight H502 (AA)
3. Skilhunt H03F (18650 / 2*CR123)
4. Nitecore HC30 (18650 / 2*CR123)

I hope to be able to use CR123 in the headlamp because it can have a lifespan/shelf life of over 10-15 years, whereas 18650 cannot. So in day-to-day, the headlamps will be fitted with CR123. But being able to take 18650 allows me to double use these headlamps during prolong emergency. During prolong emergency, I am able to charge up the 18650 and use the headlamp to the fullest.

I have thrown in a AA (zebra light H502) in the mix, its tiny but its output isn't as fantastic as those 18650.

Please advise.

Trango

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight do not officialy support CR123.
Have no experience with the H03F or the HC30, but I like a warm tinted floody beam so I would suggest you to take a look at the Armytek Wizard too.

p.s. The HC30 and H603 are two completely different type of light one is spot+spill the other is a complete flood.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose the H502 and feed it on AA-sized Lithium primaries (e.g. Energizer L91).

That will give you just as much shelf-life as a CR123 (i.e. 10 years), and the option of running AAs or AAAs if those are the only replacement cells available (and they are available all over the world).

Plus, it's smaller.

For versatility, though, I'd probably take the H52f or H52 with some diffusing film. Ditto for the H603. Pure mules are great within 2 meter range, pretty useless past 5 meters.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZL 600 MKIII models have 6 volt upper limit now, so aside from the CR123 not being able to sustain the highest levels that the light is capable of, they should be able to run the light up to 300+ lumens anyways.
Also the easywhite c or d options should give superior color rendition while looking at anatomy.
So there's long term storage (with battery cap loosened to lock out) CR123 + 18650 capability.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only 3 votes in 3 weeks which insinuates "none of the above"!

If I was putting a headlamp into a first aid kit, it would need to be kind of small as none of my first aid kits are very big. If its a kit that isn't used that often, I'd prefer a lithium primary battery over a rechargeable one. If it was me I'd pick the Fenix HL10 because its fairly small (runs on a single AAA battery), can be removed from headband, has neutral tint, nice floody beam and plenty of illumination for up close work. Run time on Energizer L92 is good. If need be, throw a spare L92 into the kit.............just my thoughts :).

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest Olight H1 Nova. Cheap enough to pack and forget, runs off cr123A and tiny.

Bejam8291

Newly Enlightened
Throwing in my $0.02 here, but as a Medic, but tint is exceptionally important in first aid situation. I have found that cool white tints and very high lumen lights are very challenging to use over the warmer tints with "floodier" beam profiles.

colight

Enlightened
Just in case you may want to take a look - Fenix just released a new headlamp (HL26R) with a built-in battery, but it is lightweight, has decent runtimes, with spot- and floodlight options, and suggested retail apparently only US$49.95, all according to their Facebook page.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Since you don't need a whole lot of lumens for first aid work, since it is rather close-up work, here is what I did. I have a Nite-Ize headband for flashlights, it was marketed with the AA and AAA Mini-Maglites in mind. I took an old AA incan. Mini-Mag that I had modded with early Nite-Ize Mini-Mag drop-in LEDs and stuck it into my Orca Tactical MOLLE EMT trauma kit. I'll load it with Energizer lithium primaries, and it will be good to go. Not a lot of horsepower, but then I don't want a lot for that use, (and I wear two other higher power lights on my belt if I need more light). I can wear it as a headlamp, or have someone hand hold it for me, as the situation calls for, and, it puts an otherwise unused less-than-ideal-light to a practical niche use.

Latest posts