Nitecore TM28 (4x XHP35 HI, 4x 18650, Rechargeable) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
In this review, I take a look on the new Nitecore TM28. The TM28 is categorized under the Tiny Monster series, which means it's a compact flashlight and has some serious muscles. Many have seen the used design before, because
the design hasn't change much from the TM26, where it all started.
This light is my third Nitecore flashlight that I've used, but it's my first flashlight that features a two-stage camera-like switch. Besides the two-stage switch, the light also has a OLED-display,
which shows information about output-level, runtime, temperature, voltage and battery-level status.

Let's get started :)

24lsa46.jpg

2hov5au.jpg

The packaging:

The TM28 comes in a plain cardboard box wih a sticker on top. That sticker shows the light and the ANSI specifications.

Inside the box you'll find the following;
- TM28
- Manual
- Warranty card
- AC charger
- Holster
- Spare o-ring and charging-port cover
- 4x Nitecore 18650 batteries (specially for TM28)
- Lanyard
- Battery-board for use with flat-top batteries

2e5tpoz.jpg

2u9tlyh.jpg

Notice before usage,

dh93sg.jpg

All packed securely in foam,

2d6twz4.jpg

2lly4w0.jpg

Close-up on the included Nitecore 18650 batteries. The TM28 requires 18650 batteries that can deliver 8-10A.

1ymgi8.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Nitecore)

Max Output: 6000 lumens
Max Beam Distance: 655 m
Max Beam Intensity: 107200 cd
Max Run time: 1000 h 0 m / 41.67 d

LED: 4x Cree XHP-35 HI
Reflector: SMO
Battery: 4 × 18650
Special Modes: Location Beacon, SOS, Strobe

Beam color: White light
Length: 142 mm / 5.59 in
Head Size: 56.6 mm / 2.23 in
Weight: 414 g / 14.6 oz (without batteries)

- 4 Cree XHP-35 HI leds, with a max output of 6000 lumens
- Powered by 4x 18650 Li-ion or IMR batteries
- Max runtime up to 1000 hours
- Max throw up to 655 meters
- Onboard OLED display provides real-time date for brightness, battery power and voltage
- Reflectors with PDOT incorporated
- Intelligent charging circuit
- Temperature regulation to prevent overheating
- 5 brightness levels and 3 special modes
- Dual-stage multi-functional single switch
- Built-in power indicator for battery level
- Mineral optic lenses with anti-reflective coating
- Retaining rings to protect core components from damages
- Made from aerospace grade aluminium alloy
- HAIII hard anodizing
- Waterproof in accordance with IPX8 (2 meters submersible)
- Tail stand capable
- Tripod mount

MSRP: $390.00

vh6yxd.jpg

27zf41v.jpg
bj9vsh.jpg

Let's take a look at the light,

33bl5rb.jpg
2rr2wrd.jpg

2ljp9j9.jpg
121vb5y.jpg

2uxw65d.jpg
2wno3yw.jpg

The charging port and tripod mount are on the backside of the light. The charging port is covered by a rubber seal to prevent water and dust entering.
This seal fits tightly and should work when properly pushed in.

24xjfqb.jpg

The TM28 also comes with a holster. It's a standard that holds the light and closes with velcro.

bhnn1w.jpg
30d8raf.jpg

A closer look on the OLED display. The button below the screen lets you cycle between the available information that the display shows.
My sample has a slightly off-center positioned display.

jhbitz.jpg

Cooling slots around the head and surrounding the switch-area should provide enough cooling surface.

Nitecore is also known to incorporate a beacon light underneath the switch, which helps to find the light in the dark. These two photos and videos show how the beacon light and OLED display look in the dark.
Unfortunately it isn't possible to turn the beacon light off.

rgxklc.jpg
24gkbop.jpg

The buttons on this light, slightly protrude above the surface. I've quite big hands and when holding the light, my thumb rests on the display button instead of the mode-switch.
Of course, this will vary between users but it's annoying for me. The button on the Olight X7 for example, is placed further towards the bezel which lets my thumb rest precisely on the switch.

2jryu0.jpg

The TM28 uses 4 XHP-35 High Intensity leds together with four very smooth reflectors. The glass lenses have an anti-reflective coating to let the most possible light out. The lenses
are protected by a stainless steel bezel. All of the four leds are perfectly centered on my sample.

2r6d2s4.jpg
v43q5z.jpg

Laser engraving is sharply done. And this light has enough engraving on it ;)

2exsia1.jpg

The knurling on the battery compartment helps with the grip. Because this light has a round and square shape, the overall grip is good.
Threads are anodized trapezoidal and came lubed.

And now a look inside the battery compartment,

2ikxtw6.jpg
2w256o8.jpg

Polarity indicators help to show you, how to insert the batteries correctly,

2s80ief.jpg
30ab1v7.jpg

No worries. That yellow stuff comes from the included batteries wrapping.

The flat bottom lets the light tail stand. That is one bright candle :candle:
At the bottom you also find the lanyard attachment point.

282g9b9.jpg

User Interface:

Because the TM28 has a two-stage switch, operation of the light is different from others.

Daily mode:
This mode has 4 brightness levels. Press the switch partway down to turn the light On in daily mode. Pressing the switch partway down repeatedly cycles the brightness
through Ultralow-Low-Mid-High. This mode has memory feature.

Search mode:
This mode has 2 brightness levels. Press the power switch all the way down to turn the light On in Search mode. Pressing the switch partway down cycles brightness through High-Turbo.
Alternatively, hold the switch all the way down to turn On at Turbo, releasing the switch turns the light Off.

Special functions:
With the light turned On, press the switch twice in quick succession to enter Strobe. Press the switch partway down repeatedly to cycle through Strobe-SOS-Beacon. Press the switch all the way down tuns the light Off.

Lockout:
With the light turned On, hold down the switch for 1 second to enter Lockout mode. To unlock, hold down the switch again for 1 second.
Batteries are expected to last for 12 months in lockout mode.

OLED display:
This light has an onboard OLED display that provides real-time operating data:
1. When the light is turned On at level 1-5, a series of data sets will be shown in the order of brightness level, battery voltage, battery level remaining, runtime operating, temperature, standby.
There is a 1.8 second delay before next data set comes up on display.
2. When using any of the special functions, the name of that function will be displayed.

When the light is turned On, the built-in power indicator under the switch will blink to indicate remaining battery:
1. When batteries are full, the indicator will stay lit.
2. When batteries reach 50%, the indicator will blink once every 2 seconds.
3. When batteries reach 10%, the indicator will blink rapidly.

When the light is turned Off, press the display switch and then the battery voltage will be shown for 10 seconds.

Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, f/5.6, 4 sec - Canon 500D

*2 lumen Ultralow mode, was too low to capture on camera
10gl6jp.jpg
15eh7w7.jpg
10xenvd.jpg
2cossjn.jpg

Olight X7
29divya.jpg
15g9wro.jpg
2ui9g1k.jpg
e6yfc4.jpg

Fenix LD75C
2q1t28g.jpg

Size comparison:

2j4tv74.jpg
2cmvz1c.jpg

Olight SR Mini, Nitecore TM28, Olight X7.

Pros and Cons:

+ Output-Size ratio
+ Rechargeable
+ OLED display with functional information
+ 2 lumen low mode

- Fit&finish of OLED display
- Weight. It will be hard to hold for a long time period

Further I've mixed feelings on the dual-stage switch. I personally can't feel the half-press or partway Nitecore calls it, which can lead to blinding myself.
It's cool but I would rather have two separate switches. One for Power and one for the modes.

Conclusion:

I've always been looking at the TM26 because of his looks. It's different from others. I glad Nitecore kept the same look with the TM28. Main selling point is the OLED display that provides the user
handy information. Specially when the user will use the light for a longer time period, it's great to see how much time you've left until it runs out of power. The dual-stage switch will be great for some, and others
will hate it. If you work a lot with cameras, you'll get the hang of it quickly. Others will have to take some extra time. The light is rechargeable which is great for every user. No fiddling with separate chargers, just plug and charge. The built-in charger charges the batteries evenly to 4.23-4.25V.
Is good this light comes with his own set of batteries. Then you know it will work!
The TM28 is pricey, but you get a lot for it. I didn't open up the light, so I can't judge over the craftsmanship inside of the light.

The Nitecore TM28 was supplied by Nitecore for review.

Last edited: