Did I jump the gun on my first flashlights?

Deeohgie

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site and pretty much new to flashlights... well, the one's that aren't the cheap plastic ones. Hopefully I posted this in the right section. I work mostly night shifts for the railroad and wanted a light for inspecting my locomotive, but can also give me enough light with a little distance on it too for out walking around. I also wanted a light that has a little throw and a bit of flood with it too, so i can use it for wildlife and things between 100-200 yards, without being too big in my hand and still put out decent light.

So for my edc I bought the ThruNite TN12 2016 XP-L NW with Orbtronic 3500mAh 18650 protected batteries. For my other light I bought the Nitecore EA41 2015 XM-L2 U2 with Panasonic BK-3HCCE4BE Eneloop Pro AA batteries.

I found this site after I ordered these lights and now I am wondering if I pulled the trigger too soon on them. Now I'm looking at the Fenix ps32 and pd35, but I also like the Eagletac lights. So my question is did I jump the gun buying these or will I be happy with the ones I bought? I am open to any thoughts and advice, so if there's something better for what I'm needing, then I'll return them and get something else. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it, but I didn't know enough about these lights to spend alot on them at this time.

Thanks,

Dave

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that style light, I've had the TN12 and the Eagletac. Between them I strongly prefer the Thrunite. The combination of neutral tint and better modes makes it just a better light for me. The Eagletac probably has a bit more range, but the TN12 is still very capable. The Fenix doesn't even appeal because they don't believe in neutral tints or moonlight levels.

So no, if you wanted a dual-switch tube light with some range, the TN12 is the best choice in my opinion. Enjoy your light! It probably won't be your last.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
You choose correctly in regards to the TN12 2016. If you want a rechargeable version, go for the newer TC12 2016. I hope you picked the NW version which would be better for wildlife and inspection of locomotive for any defects?

However, I would return the Nitecore EA41 as there have been reports of parasitic drain which would drain the battery really fast. Get the Thrunite TN4A instead, either the normal XP-L version or the XP-L HI version, is ok.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not had any problems with parasitic drain in my EA41. It is a nice all-around light that carries well in its holster on one's belt, and has the range and output it sounds like you want, as well as lower modes for closer work.

After looking up the TN12, it looks like you have two lights with essentially the same characteristics. Since I haven't seen anyone complaining about parasitic drain on the TN12, I would return the EA41 and get something like the EA/EC11 as my second light. Using a 14500 in the EA11 or a 16350 in the EC11, you would have close to the same options as with the TN12, but without the run time it has. Either one would be a good backup, since we all know that 'Two is One, and One is None'. Another advantage is that the EA11/EC11 has a secondary red LED that would make a good emergency beacon if needed. One note, both lights do have terrible parasitic drain, but a simple quarter twist of the tail cap will put them into physical lockout and negate that. Since it would be a secondary light, having to tighten the tail cap before use shouldn't be a problem, and the smaller size makes it much more comfortable on a belt or in a pocket.

Bottom Line: You made good selections, we are just trying to help you tune things up a little.

Deeohgie

Newly Enlightened
You choose correctly in regards to the TN12 2016. If you want a rechargeable version, go for the newer TC12 2016. I hope you picked the NW version which would be better for wildlife and inspection of locomotive for any defects?

However, I would return the Nitecore EA41 as there have been reports of parasitic drain which would drain the battery really fast. Get the Thrunite TN4A instead, either the normal XP-L version or the XP-L HI version, is ok.
Yeah I bought the NW version at the last second because I didn't notice I had the option at first. I basically just have to walk around the locomotive when I start work and check for defects, but sometimes it's in outline locations where there is wide open fields next to me and I've always wished that I had a light to take a look. There's also some bad locations where I work and I wanted something with a little range so I could see my surroundings better.

I was actually going to get the TN4A at first, but then I ran across the EA41 and after watching tons of videos, I preferred the tint of the EA41 a little better.
I have not had any problems with parasitic drain in my EA41. It is a nice all-around light that carries well in its holster on one's belt, and has the range and output it sounds like you want, as well as lower modes for closer work.

After looking up the TN12, it looks like you have two lights with essentially the same characteristics. Since I haven't seen anyone complaining about parasitic drain on the TN12, I would return the EA41 and get something like the EA/EC11 as my second light. Using a 14500 in the EA11 or a 16350 in the EC11, you would have close to the same options as with the TN12, but without the run time it has. Either one would be a good backup, since we all know that 'Two is One, and One is None'. Another advantage is that the EA11/EC11 has a secondary red LED that would make a good emergency beacon if needed. One note, both lights do have terrible parasitic drain, but a simple quarter twist of the tail cap will put them into physical lockout and negate that. Since it would be a secondary light, having to tighten the tail cap before use shouldn't be a problem, and the smaller size makes it much more comfortable on a belt or in a pocket.

Bottom Line: You made good selections, we are just trying to help you tune things up a little.
I will take a look at those two lights and it sounds like maybe I should return the EA41. One of the reasons I kind of went that route was because it the 4AA batteries, but it isn't a necessity that the light uses them.

It sounds like 3 votes for keeping the TN12 so I will keep that light for sure. It also sounds like I will not get much more range out of the EA41, is that correct? So I guess I'm looking for a light with more range, that will be a noticeable improvement over the TN12. I watched a few videos on the EagleTac G25C2 MK II XM-L2 and I liked the way it lit up everything in a distance. So if you guys can recommend anything like that or better, I will take a look and hopefully find what I'm looking for. It sounds like the TN12 is going to put out a little more light than I was expecting because I thought the EA41 was going to be a noticeable improvement. So I guess I will be needing something that has a noticeable difference in throw over it.

I had no idea that flashlights could do what they do nowadays... Now I'll have another hobby besides spending money on my car to go to the track. My wife will be so thrilled lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You dun good Deeo.

Use those for a while and if the itch still needs scratching then by all means scratch it with another light or 3.

I say this because these things can become addictive. It's a fun and relatively inexpensive hobby... at first. But before long $200 has turned into $2000...
Just do some lurking in the review section. Self-Built and Subwoofer have evaluated tons of them and give real world thoughts with techno speak as well.
Also Flashlight Review is a good place to look.

Rechargeable batteries are way better than they were just a few years ago with lots of capacity and low discharge rates. But avoid the 'cheapies' and further reading here will yield what I mean there. You'll see the same names pop up meaning those are the good ones...except those xyzfire type.

Welcome to the site.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for a secondary light to really 'reach out and touch someone', the Nitecore P30 is a good choice. Single 18650 cell so is not all that large, looks like it would work well on a belt. Larger head/reflector means further throw, which sounds like what you are looking for. Since it has the larger reflector to obtain the throw, it only uses one LED, which means longer run time on the single cell.

I went back and looked at the TN12 specs, and it looks like it has everything you are looking for. If you really want to reach out further than the 200 yds the TN12 offers, then the P30 at 500 yds would be a good choice. I have seen it offered for $62, so the price is very reasonable. If you just want another light as backup if something happens to the TN12, then I stand by my recommendation for the EA11/EC11.

Note: If you want to consolidate your cell types so you don't have to have a couple of different ones, either the TN12/P30 or the TN12/EC11 would work fine. All of those lights can use 16350 cells, two each for the TN12 and the P20, and one for the EC11. That way you wouldn't have to worry about running out of power while on the job. Carry two extra charged up 16350 cells, which would give you an extra set for either the TN12 or the P30, and two extra for the EC11. As my dad used to say, "Now you're cooking with gas!" (He grew up in the era where most homes still had a wood burning cook stove, and to be able to afford a stove that used LP instead was a great thing. No more chopping wood and hauling ashes! I think our house switched over to gas somewhere around 1950, and I had an aunt and uncle that used a wood stove up until the mid-70s.)

Deeohgie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome and the help guys.

I watched some videos on the Nitecore P30 and I will definitely buy that or one like it to add to my collection. Right now for my 2nd light I'm looking for something with a little more flood than that, but it doesn't necessarily need to reach that far. I really wish that I had found this site before I ordered these lights now. I think I will be happy with the TN12 for sure, but I am on the fence about the EA41. They will both be here Wednesday and I'm thinking about sending the Nitecore back in exchange for something else.

Does anyone know how the Nitecore EA41 compares to the EagleTac G25C2 MK II XM-L2? I've watched so many flashlight videos these last 2 weeks that my wife is starting to make fun of me lol. All I have to go off of is videos, but it looks like I am looking for something in-between the group of the EagleTac G25C2 MK II XM-L2 / Nitecore EA41 / Fenix PD32 or PD35 up tp the Nitecore P30, with less throw and more flood.

To be honest, I'm more confused in what direction to go now than I was before. If anyone can confirm that there is a noticeable difference between the TN12 and the EA41, then I will just keep the ones that I ordered. That will give me some time to do more research and buy a really nice upgrade to what I have in a month or so. I almost feel like I am researching these lights as much as I did for the turbo build for my car. :laughing:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Dave, I also just ordered my first enthusiast type flashlight on Friday and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I came here wondering if I jumped the gun. I also purchased the Thrunite TN12 2016 XP-L NW. Strangely, I've also been wondering if I should have gone with the Fenix PD32/35. The similarities between your decision making process and mine are remarkable. It was the Fenix that first lured me to the market, but I ended up getting a much better price on the Thrunite for something that meets my needs very well (at least on paper). Now I've just been looking at Olight and they are oh so sexy (I can't believe I'm talking about a flashlight). My use is a bit different. I plan on using mine primarily for hiking and camping. Sorry to hijack your thread. It's just that I can relate. Hugh

Deeohgie

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like we are going through the same process Hugh and welcome to the thread. The more people in here commenting the better, so your input is definitely welcomed. I also have looked at the Olight, on top of another couple hours of lights on videos last night. It's getting to be addictive and I wish that there was a store that you could go to and try them all out... I'd probably come home with a few more than I intended to buy though.

bwalker

Newly Enlightened

Dave, it sounds like you chose wisely, however, I agree with LeafSamurai that the Thrunite TN4A would better meet your stated wishes ("I also wanted a light that has a little throw and a bit of flood with it too") than the EA41. Specifically, the TN4A HI will give you more flood/spill as well as throw. The TN12 you are keeping is a great EDC light with a range of 226m at 1150 lumens. By adding the TN4A HI you'll get a range of 457m at 1050 lumens. You probably won't notice any difference in the output but the TN4A HI will have better flood/spill and will have the extra range you're looking for.

Deeohgie

Newly Enlightened
Dave, it sounds like you chose wisely, however, I agree with LeafSamurai that the Thrunite TN4A would better meet your stated wishes ("I also wanted a light that has a little throw and a bit of flood with it too") than the EA41. Specifically, the TN4A HI will give you more flood/spill as well as throw. The TN12 you are keeping is a great EDC light with a range of 226m at 1150 lumens. By adding the TN4A HI you'll get a range of 457m at 1050 lumens. You probably won't notice any difference in the output but the TN4A HI will have better flood/spill and will have the extra range you're looking for.
I almost ordered the TN4A HI NW last night and was just going to ship the EA41 back when it gets here tomorrow. I had it in the cart and ready to send, but I wanted to sleep on it. I am still searching through threads and watching reviews on different lights right now. If I don't find something by the end of the day that I like better than the TN4A HI NW, then I think I will go ahead and order it.

The bad thing about sending the ea41 back, is that the Orbtronic 3500mAh 18650's for the TN12 won't be here until Saturday. So I won't even be able to use it and the batteries for the other will be here tomorrow. I think I'll be happier if I return it though and I will already have the batteries for the TN4A when it arrives. So right now I'm leaning towards that light, but I already am looking for something a lot nicer to buy in a few months. There are a lot of nice lights that are power houses in the $100-$200 range and I will no doubt be buying one soon.

I appreciate all the advice guys and although it is making my decisions harder, it is helping me see the different types of lights and it's getting me closer to what I'm looking for. I'm starting to understand why so many people have at least 3-5 lights for different uses... Of course then you have to constantly get the updated models :)

jaymez619

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly new here, too. It seems that in this hobby, like any other, there is always something nicer and/or more desireable. The ThruNite TN12 seems like a decent choice for an EDC. For a secondary, I would have chosen a thrower that uses 18650s. I personally have given up on alkaline since they (Duracells) seem to leak easily. Some things to consider are the charging method, throw, and portability. Some lights can be recharged with a USB connection or come with their own charging stand. I recently ordered the Klarus XT12GT because: 1) compact 18650 thrower up to 600m, 2) includes an 18650 battery, 3) magnetic charger, 4) under $100. My other options before I decided on the XT12GT: Convoy C8 (nice and cheap), NiteCore PD30, UTorch UT02; all are compact throwers that use a single 18650. For inspections, would a good headlamp be an option? I would think it would be nice to have both hands free in case you need to reach for your .45, coffee, cell phone, etc.

Deeohgie

Newly Enlightened
I have kind of been looking at headlamps for that same reason also. I'm really not sure how the Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA rechargeable batteries compare to the 18650's I bought for my other light. A lot of people seem to recommend them and going by the specs on the ea41, it's claiming 1hr 45min on turbo, 2hr 45min on high, 12hrs on mid, 30 hrs on low, and 400hrs on 1 lumen. That seems like a long time for AA's to me, but I'll be putting it to the test soon and see for myself. But if they do last that long, then it seems to be on par with the 18650 light's I've been looking at. You are right about this hobby always having something new and better. It seems like I'm running across all kinds of threads where they are reviewing new models and debating whether or not it's worth getting the new model.

I decided to keep the Nitecore EA41 and buy a thrower and a good flood light. I'll throw the EA41 in my grip for work and use it for spotting things there. I do like the PD30 for the thrower and I am really liking the EagleTac SX25L3 for a flood, which I will get if I don't find something better. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post Y****be links or not? But there's a guy by the name of virtuovoice that does reviews and has a video Fenix PD35, Eagletac G25C2, SX25L3, MX25L3C that has 2 of the lights I was trying to decide to swap for the ea41 and the flood light I really like. I'm pretty impressed by how far it reaches for a flood. So if anyone knows of a good flood like that is better than this one, then I will definitely check it out.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I got my flashlight. It's smaller than I thought it would be. I knew the dimensions beforehand but it still pleasantly surprised me a bit to see it. It's on the longer side for a flashlight in this class and I was concerned it might be a bit of a problem in my pocket while hiking. Not at all, I think it will be fine even in shorts.

The mode spacing is nice. I like firefly mode, it's useful for a lot of things. It's enough to get around the house comfortably. Actually, I wish it were even lower for checking on the kids but that's really being particular. 18 lumens is enough to ceiling bounce and do bathroom activities. Tail standing is nice. I took it for a walk on a very dark path yesterday and mid (175 lumens) is plenty bright for extended use. I wouldn't usually need more unless I need to see far and there are 2 more modes for that. I like that I can get a rated 11.8 hours battery life at that level. That will get me through a night, even using some higher levels, if I ever find myself needing to hike through the night.

There is a noticeable green hue around the hot spot, as noted in a review of the TC12 on this site regarding the XP-L. If I'm being honest with myself it bothers me when I'm admiring beam profiles on the wall. Out in nature I didn't notice it even when I was looking for it. I plan to keep it since it works for my intended purpose and the battery life/efficiency is excellent. I'm also very happy that I went with neutral white vs. cool. It pleasant, not as warm/yellow as I thought it might be.

I'd also read that the XP-L gives you a more focused beam. That initially concerned me a bit, as I wanted a decent amount of flood for hiking. I don't want to move my flashlight in a grid pattern to see the layout of a technical trail. The hotspot provides good throw and there's a nice amount of spill. I can comfortably walk a trail while holding the beam stationary in front of me. If I'm concerned about an animal ahead the beam throws plenty far enough to identify it. It really strikes an ideal balance for my needs.

Buttons are clicky with a nice positive feel and reasonable weight. I like the length and feel of the flashlight for extended use. In that way it's probably much better than a really short unit.

I only ran it on turbo for a minute or two at a time and from what I'd read I expected it to get really warm by that point. It was only slightly warm.

Basic stuff for everyone here but it's nice to have a fully waterproof piece of kit. My walk was in a heavy downpour and it's really nice not to worry about your light.

Overall, there's lots to like.

Deeohgie

Newly Enlightened
Well I received both lights and have had a little time to play around with them. I've because to keep the TN12 and I'm going to return the EA41.

I just don't see a huge advantage with having the EA41 over the TN12. It has a farther throw than the TN12 and has a more usable beam. But for the price, I think spending a little more money and getting one that has a little farther throw and better spill would suit me better. So now I'm looking for a light that I can replace it with in the $120-$150 range. I also would prefer to be able to carry it on my belt from time to time if possible, but not a necessity.

Overall the EA41 is a good light for its size and price. I can't say that I dislike it and if I had a cheaper EDC light, then I would keep it. The TN12 on the .4 lumens puts out enough lights to see where you're walking in pitch black outside and to see all the breakers to start the locomotive. The other 4 settings I think are spaced out nicely and on turbo it puts a nice amount of light out to see your surroundings. It's not a tight beam and has a wider flood effect, but it's plenty to do anything outside and have plenty of light. I don't think that it's quite as bright as the cool white version would be, but I don't care for the color they make everything look.

Thanks for the help everyone has given me and hopefully I'll have a new light coming in the mail next week.

C7N3M T&T

Newly Enlightened
I love my tn12. If I were you I would check out the olight r50 seeker pro for slightly larger and brighter.

Deeohgie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info on the olight r50, I'm reading up on it now. It looks like a really nice light, but I am now having a hard time deciding on the pro or the regular seeker. I'm leaning towards the pro right now and I like how it isn't quite as big as the EagleTac MX25L3C XP-G2. I've also been looking at the EagleTac SX25L3 MT-G2 and the ThruNite MINI TN30 (2016) XP-L. I am pretty impressed by the amount of light that can be produced out of these small lights now. I thought I had it narrowed down to 3 lights, but now I'll be up for hours reading and watching videos on this olight.