New Petzl 2017 Headlamp Models...

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thought we could use an ongoing thread to discuss all of Petzl's new 2017 headlamp models. Looks like they have made quite a few changes to the lineup, some big, some small. They've also added a "CORE" rechargeable battery option that fits all of the lights below except the e+LITE.

Personally, I picked up a new Tikkina model and so far I'm pretty impressed, especially considering the $19 and change MSRP. It's smaller and lighter than the older model, and while I have no idea what LED they are using, the beam is nice and floody, with a good tint. Supposedly you can run alkaline / NiMH / lithiums in these new lights (using Eneloops here). Looking forward to trying out the new e+LITE, which should make a good addition to a couple of survival kits.

*Unregulated headlamps:

e+LITE - still takes coin cells, cloth strap and plastic storage case returns, upgraded to 50 lumens max.
Tikkina - upgraded to 3 modes / 150 lumens max.
Tikka - GITD marker, whistle, red output, reflective markings, 200 lumens max.
Tactikka - similar to Tikka, but subdued strap markings and no GITD. Whistle, red output, 200 lumens max.
Zipka - same as Tikka features, but non-adjustable (doesn't tilt).

*Regulated headlamps with their "Constant Lighting" technology:

Actik - 5 / 100 / 300 lumens max, along with red output, reflective strap, whistle.
Actik CORE - same as Actik, but comes with new CORE rechargeable battery.
Tactikka+ RGB - 250 lumens max, RGB secondary LEDs, subdued strap markings, no whistle.
Tactikka+ - 250 lumens max, but only a Red secondary LED, subdued strap markings, no whistle.

The new headlamps have made it to Petzl's main page:
https://www.petzl.com/NL/en/Sport/Lighting

Link to new e+LITE specs:
https://www.petzl.com/US/EN/Professional/Ultra-compact-headlamps/ePLUSLITE#.WIEPe7Fh1uU

Here's a gratuitous shot of the new Tikkina:

32490216045_7af6b8955d_c.jpg

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought we could use an ongoing thread to discuss all of Petzl's new 2017 headlamp models. Looks like they have made quite a few changes to the lineup, some big, some small. They've also added a "CORE" rechargeable battery option that fits all of the lights below except the e+LITE.

Personally, I picked up a new Tikkina model and so far I'm pretty impressed, especially considering the $19 and change MSRP. It's smaller and lighter than the older model, and while I have no idea what LED they are using, the beam is nice and floody, with a good tint. Supposedly you can run alkaline / NiMH / lithiums in these new lights (using Eneloops here). Looking forward to trying out the new e+LITE, which should make a good addition to a couple of survival kits.

*Unregulated headlamps:

e+LITE - still takes coin cells, cloth strap and plastic storage case returns, upgraded to 50 lumens max.
Tikkina - upgraded to 3 modes / 150 lumens max.
Tikka - GITD marker, whistle, red output, reflective markings, 200 lumens max.
Tactikka - similar to Tikka, but subdued strap markings and no GITD. Whistle, red output, 200 lumens max.
Zipka - same as Tikka features, but non-adjustable (doesn't tilt).

*Regulated headlamps with their "Constant Lighting" technology:

Actik - 5 / 100 / 300 lumens max, along with red output, reflective strap, whistle.
Actik CORE - same as Actik, but comes with new CORE rechargeable battery.
Tactikka+ RGB - 250 lumens max, RGB secondary LEDs, subdued strap markings, no whistle.
Tactikka+ - 250 lumens max, but only a Red secondary LED, subdued strap markings, no whistle.

Link to new headlamps announcement:
https://www.petzl.com/NL/en/Sport/new-products#.WIEPYLFh1uU

Link to new e+LITE specs:
https://www.petzl.com/US/EN/Professional/Ultra-compact-headlamps/ePLUSLITE#.WIEPe7Fh1uU

The "CORE" battery is nothing new. I have been using one in my Tikka XP 2 for around 4 years. It is a nice unit and I prefer it to using primaries. It adds regulation to your light and allows you to adjust the regulation as well via USB and computer software.

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
The "CORE" battery is nothing new. I have been using one in my Tikka XP 2 for around 4 years. It is a nice unit and I prefer it to using primaries. It adds regulation to your light and allows you to adjust the regulation as well via USB and computer software.

I am not sure, but I think that you "may" be mistaken about the ability to "regulate" the 2017 Core battery pack with software. I've had the new 2017 Tikka for a couple of weeks now ... one of the first ones in Canada. It's a huge deal at just $30 U.S. or $38 CAN.

I have researched the hell out of it, and zero mention of that "programmable" feature of the Core battery pack ... which right now isn't even available in Canada. It's just a "dumb" battery pack. If the "regulation technology" isn't already in the headlamp ... using the Core in the 2017 Classic (unregulated) Tikka and Tikkina isn't going to add that ability.

Maybe offer a link? I have been wrong (many times) before ... :)

I am so impressed with that cool little Tikka that I immediately ordered another one ... as a gift or whatever. It was shipped from B.C. yesterday.

Ron

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure, but I think that you "may" be mistaken about the ability to "regulate" the 2017 Core battery pack with software. I've had the new 2017 Tikka for a couple of weeks now ... one of the first ones in Canada. It's a huge deal at just $30 U.S. or $38 CAN.

I have researched the hell out of it, and zero mention of that "programmable" feature of the Core battery pack ... which right now isn't even available in Canada. It's just a "dumb" battery pack. If the "regulation technology" isn't already in the headlamp ... using the Core in the new Classic Tikka and Tikkina isn't going to add that ability.

Maybe offer a link? I have been wrong (many times) before ... :)

Sorry for the confusion, I just looked on Petzl's site and it appears there is now a new version of the CORE. I was unaware they released a new version with the same name. It appears to be a considerable downgrade from the older version I have however aside from having a slightly higher capacity. The older version I have uses Petzl's OS software and can add regulation to whatever headlamp its added to. You can also control the output levels, runtime, and regulation via the software.

Here is the CORE I have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NnjX8vSb1M

I liked my Tikka XP 2 with the CORE battery but, rarely use it now as I have moved on from Petzl and found much better headlamps from other companies. My Petzl's were always reliable for me but, they just fall short in many areas now compared to the competition. I doubt I will buy another Petzl until they improve and offer the performance and features that some of the other companies offer. Hopefully they will step up their game going forward because they make great headlamps and have some innovative features.

Last edited:

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
Hey TacHead,

Thanks for the clarification.Yes, I was guessing that you might have been referring to the original/earlier Core rechargeable-battery pack. I seem to remember that it was in a clear translucent case, but I knew absolutely nothing (until I watched your great link) about its technical specs/ability. The "regulating/programmable" feature that you (and the link) describe must have been removed from the 2017 version because it was preferable (cheaper, or more robust) to have it right in the higher-end headlamps from the get-go.

For most average folks, I still feel that the new $38 (in Canada) Tikka is the absolute catsass. Comfy. Tiny. Two-hundred lumens which most folks rarely need. And a red-strobe visible from a chopper at night at 1000' ...

I live in rural Alberta, and switched-out the Duracells (until springtime) for stupid-pricey Energizer Lithium Ultimate batteries ... after first confirming via email with Petzl Customer Support in Salt Lake City (less than 24-hour response time!) that those batteries were good-to-go.

Ron

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey TacHead,

Thanks for the clarification.Yes, I was guessing that you might have been referring to the original/earlier Core rechargeable-battery pack. I seem to remember that it was in a clear translucent case, but I know absolutely nothing about its technical specs/ability. The "regulating/programmable" feature that you describe must have been removed from the 2017 version because it was preferable (cheaper, or more robust) to have it right in the higher-end headlamps from the get-go.

For most average folks, I still feel that the new $38 Tikka is the absolute catsass. Comfy. Tiny. Two-hundred lumens which most folks rarely need. And a red-strobe visible from a chopper at night at 1000' ...

I live in rural Alberta, and switched-out the Duracells (until springtime) for stupid-pricey Energizer Lithium Ultimate batteries ... after first confirming via email with Petzl Customer Support in Salt Lake City (less than 24-hour response time!) that those batteries were good-to-go.

Ron

No problem. Yeah I am not sure why they removed it. It was a nice feature and added regulation to even the lower end headlamps. Maybe they wanted to keep it small but, still add to the capacity.

Yep, the new Tikka does seem like a very good deal at that price. Especially if it comes with the new CORE.

Good plan. I live in Northern Ontario and also sometimes use Lithium primaries for their great cold weather performance.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
Yep, there is some stiff competition out there nowadays and aside from Petzl's adaptive lighting tech they are way behind the competition in many areas. I still like and use a lot of their climbing gear though.

I understand that. I'm something of a Fenix AA fanboy myself ... I'm on my fourth Fenix headlamp (I've managed to lose two) and have given one as a gift. I bought the their TK40 years ago when it first appeared to much excitement and acclaim. And about a year after that I gave another TK40 to my best friend (a real hardcore outdoor guy who sometimes teaches our CAF SAR people) when he retired. He was over-the-moon.

And when I ordered the Petzl Tikka just after Christmas I also ordered another state-a-the-art Fenix flashlight, the mighty E12.

And I'm picking-up my second Petzl Tikka at the Post Office this morning. I buy whatever I want. :)

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Yeah, they certainly aren't the fanciest or brightest headlamps out there, but what Petzl does offer is reliability and simplicity. I've got a Tikka Plus that is 12 years old and still going strong, angry purple 5mm LEDs and all. :D

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, they certainly aren't the fanciest or brightest headlamps out there, but what Petzl does offer is reliability and simplicity. I've got a Tikka Plus that is 12 years old and still going strong, angry purple 5mm LEDs and all. :D

Talking about power ... I was wondering if Olight might be offering a headband for their upcoming X9 flashlight ... described at length at about the mid-point of this Olight video from the Shot Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDWKHte8pw&feature=youtu.be

"Better to light a candle than curse the darkness." :)

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what much better light you talking about. Petzl makes solid, reliable lights. I need 2 to 3 levels which they have. Tint is ok but plenty good. The main point and most important of a headlamp is to turn on every time and to stay on. That is what Petzl does. Nothing else matters, not levels, no tint, no other mumbo jumbo brands.

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what much better light you talking about. Petzl makes solid, reliable lights. I need 2 to 3 levels which they have. Tint is ok but plenty good. The main point and most important of a headlamp is to turn on every time and to stay on. That is what Petzl does. Nothing else matters, not levels, no tint, no other mumbo jumbo brands.

MarineMaster,

It looks like you're responding to an earlier post (#4 in this thread, from Tachead) and I fer-sure agree with you.

Petzl walks the talk. Pulleys. Biners. You name it. They were the original cave men (and cave women too). :)

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am sorry but, you must have not tried some of the other brands offerings. And, what you need or want from a headlamp, is not what everyone else needs or wants too. As for tint, I have owned and used many Petzl headlamps over the years(I still own a couple) and still use a lot of their climbing gear. Every headlamp I have ever used from Petzl had tints from angry alien blue to bright purple to bright green and all were very cool in temperature with very low CRI(a terrible choice for many(most) headlamp applications imo). Most use low frequency PWM on their low modes as well which is quite annoying and hard on the eyes.

Many other manufactures headlamps offer better drop resistance, better waterproofing, better warranties, more features, better battery compatibility, better battery life/efficiency, more emitter and beam profile options, higher CRI, better tints, etc.

Now, Petzl still makes good reliable headlamps, have some very innovative ideas like their reactive lighting technologies, and offer a decent value for some of their models. But, they have fallen behind in many areas compared to other companies and if you don't believe that then I suggest you try some other manufacturers models before you form your opinion. I have tried many different models from many different manufactures with prices ranging from less then twenty to hundreds of dollars and I am an avid rock climber, back country camper, hiker, hunter, fisherman, etc. so, my knowledge and opinions are backed by many hours of first hand experience in varying conditions ranging from snowstorms to torrential downpours to hot humid nights in temps from -45C to 45C.

I do hope that Petzl continues to evolve and improve their lighting products because I like them as a company and think they have some great ideas and designs.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl does not need anybody pity. What you taking about angry blue 20 years ago 5mm led, Petzl did not make them they bought from third party not only that but every light manufacturers has had the same angry blue. You very cunning in putting Petzl down. Thats not cool. And about batteries they make AA and AAA and Lithium, there is no issue there. There are more people working in mines that trust Petzl for decades and decades than your wild -45 to +45 degree change. Funny how you can be at the North Pole and Equator at the same time.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl does not need anybody pity. What you taking about angry blue 20 years ago 5mm led, Petzl did not make them they bought from third party not only that but every light manufacturers has had the same angry blue. You very cunning in putting Petzl down. Thats not cool. And about batteries they make AA and AAA and Lithium, there is no issue there. There are more people working in mines that trust Petzl for decades and decades than your wild -45 to +45 degree change. Funny how you can be at the North Pole and Equator at the same time.

I have never tried/owned a Petzl headlamp(I have tried/owned many different examples and models) that had a neutral or warm emitter(both much better for most headlamp tasks imo). And, I have also never seen one that had a nice tint(maybe I have bad luck). I can't say the same about other brands I have tried as many offer different emitter options ranging from warm to neutral to cool white and even high CRI. Hopefully Petzl will improve in these areas going forward.

As for being cunning, I am just relaying my personal unbiased experiences.

The problem with Petzl's batteries is aside from AA and AAA options(which always seem to be the same double or triple setup) they only have proprietary battery packs which can be hard to find in remote locations, are costly, and they seam to only use old/low capacity cells. Other companies let you pick your own cells in sizes ranging from single AA to 14500 to 16340 to 18350 to 18650 in whatever capacity(protected or unprotected) that you want. Petzl's efficiency/runtimes are also generally low compared to some other brands as are their mode options and output.

I live in Canada and that is the temperature range we have where I am. Not to mention I travel as often as I can as well.

Again, I am not saying Petzl doesn't make good headlamps. I used them for years exclusively remember and still use a lot of their climbing gear(I even still own and use a couple of their headlamps). I am simply saying that I have found, after trying some other brands, better options. I do honestly wish that Petzl would improve on some of these issues so they could be more competitive and in line with other brands because I do like a lot of their ideas and designs.

Last edited:

Kaa_

Newly Enlightened
Would the Aktic Core be compatible with the Tikka Adapt Kit to put it on my helmet? I have a Tikka XP attached to my helmet with the Adapt Kit.

If yes, I would maybe consider bying the Aktic Core.

ondra

Newly Enlightened
Do you have information on how long will the new regulated (constant output level) models operate on various intensities, please? I like the hybrid battery option very much, but did not find any relevant information on the performance.

I tried emailing a Petzl representative in my country (Czech republic), but she did not know. I stated my surprise with Petzl not providing this information as they did with previous models. The representative said the reason is that stating correct numbers actually made Petzl models seem worse that their competition. I agree with this as most other brands I looked at -Len Lenser (named Coast in the US), Fenix, Black Diamond - just state the maximum luminosity a maximum running time (until the light drops to something unusable like 5 lumens). It is difficult to find out whether their models are regulated and how long they last before they drop too much. This information is important to me since I'm looking for a headlamp for night trail running and need to make sure I have sufficient light for the whole event.

Now I own Petzl Tikka+ and I'm happy with it. Unfortunatelly, on 110 lm it lasts only 2 hours, so I was looking for a headlamp, that would last longer.

Thank you