Brightstar Incans

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with these lights? The 3C Cell Responder looks pretty good but are they sub par?I think they are made by Koehler here in the U.S.
Thanks in advance

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look like your standard "industrial" plastic Incan flashlight with PR base bulb. Probably plastic reflector and ringy beam. Try one out. I'm sure they're well priced. I think a mag would probably be better though being metal they don't need the floppy negative spring contact

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Can't speak for the Responder there Mercy but can say Bright Star has always been a fine flashlight company.
I have BrightStar lights from the 80's back to their early days of the 1920's and have been impressed with each one.

When compared to lights of a given era made from similar materials Bright Star lights were a cut above the competition in quality parts and workmanship.

Switches were a little nicer, threads were a little more precise... things like that.

Now is is that Koehler has a "bright star" monicer on their line of flashlights? Or perhaps Koehler bought Bright Star? I do no know the answer to that. If it was the latter I'd say they are worth the coin.

Last edited:

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
Good news there! Aslaways bykfixer your input is appreciated. Ive been looking at the 2224 and the Responder. not much out there about them but they look good as well as thier specs.

Kewrock

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for the old government and utility company issued ones. I have a couple. One is stamped Con Edison, the other stamped NYC Transit Auth. They didn't age well. They are not water or moisture resistant at all. They oxidize terribly inside. They are the only flashlights I've ever had that the reflectors pitted and oxidized. All the innards are copper, which is good. But the reflector is chrome plated copper. It doesn't age well. The copper turns green right through the chrome. You wipe away the green, and you are left with copper colored spots in the reflector.
Bright Star seems to have updated the 2-cell version, so maybe they're better now, But the 3-cell version still looks like the old ones.

Sorry for grave digging. I just picked up an old Bright Star bright star on Ebay to replace my cruddy one. The one I just got is in worse shape. It looked OK in pics. But oxidized just like mine.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Tell me: do they have screw in bulbs or the PR kind that slide in?

I ask because a pitted, crappy looking reflector is a perfect candidate to upgrade. Using the 2 cell:
A simple process of cleaning off all the crud, sanding it smooth and spray painting the reflector gloss white. That's right... gloss white.
Now it just depends on the bulb how to tailor the beam.
If it is a edison threaded (called e10) a nice eBay #222 will turn that sucker into a thrower. The 222 is a magnifyer tipped bulb once used in penlights.
If it's a PR based you can do a Nite Ize LED from the checkout counter area of Lowes or Home Depot for a modern look.
The white reflector will allow it to blast light out the front while doing a great job at cleaning up the beam, all while remaining pretty close to stock.

Last edited: