Best flashlight/handlebar mount money can buy for mountain biking

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Hey guys!

I'm tired of paying $2, $14, $9 over and over again for cheap flashlight mounts that "ALMOST" work and almost get it right but don't. I'd be happy to spend much more for 1 really good mount. I'm looking for:

1. Holds any of my single 18650 lights securely. 22mm-27mm should cover my desired range.
  2. Can securely, quickly and simply adjust the light up and down AND left to right.
  3. Can quickly release the light when I want to take it out to look at something and then quickly put it back and tighten it down.
  4. Holds the light securely in severe, harsh, jolting mountain bike riding conditions.

I'm fine with taking the time one time to mount a mounting portion securely to the frame. However after that, I want it to be a quick, tool-less job to put the light in and take it out (I use the same light on my bike I hold on my hand) and rotate it left/right or up and down.

Any thoughts?

I've tried dozens of mounts and my "highwater mark" so far is the LED Lenser 7 series "Universal Mounting Bracket."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Lenser-universal-mounting-bracket/dp/B0052VW0AA

Pros:
- Can rotate left to right; when rotation gets too easy/sloppy you can tighten a hex nut under the bar clamp.
- Can rotate up and down.
- Is small and simple
- The bracket itself holds +/- 25mm diameter flashlights secure enough for smooth road riding; it also has a large, custom rubber band thingy that locks it down over the top to keep it secure on rough, jarring rides.

Cons/things I'd like to see improved:
- The "rubberband thingy" critical to flashlight security on rough roads is easy to lose. If the mount was a bit higher, it would also be much easier to secure/unsecure faster.
- The left/right rotation quickly degrades from tight to sloppy/too lose. It can be tightened back up via the hex bolt underneath BUT that requires taking if off the bar, getting out the hex key etc. I'd happily pay much more for a "higher quality/longer lasting version of the same design."

Anything better out there?

hmihaylov

Newly Enlightened
I noticed this type of mount is what I see most on the streets here. And it probably is not the Led Lenser model - there are many knockoffs, that look the same and cost a dollar or two (it is usually coupled with a flashlight of the same price category).

I also tried one of these (fixed option - no rotation, so less chance it will break) and it really is simple and foolproof. I don't use any rubber "thingy" as all my flashlights (1x18650 - for example Zebralight sc63w that is thinner or SC600 MkII Hi - thicker) fit with no problem - the thicker the flashlight, the better the grip. The material is very hard resin that works well in hot and cold weather.

I secure the light additionally by looping the lanyard on the neck of the mount - so that if I hit a huge bump and the flashlight tries to fly away, it would not go anywhere. But this has never happened. And it lived through a light crash or two (be careful on slippery tram lines :) )

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Another vote for a dedicated bike light. The lights with an external battery allow better brightness and run time than most handheld lights. However most of the lights I have seen don't allow you to move the light left to right easily. The Ituo lights work on a gopro mount, so if you can find a third party gopro mount that swivels then that could work.

dubcbadass

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,
Don't mean to dig up old threads, but wanted to comment. Long time occasional lurker here. I plan to do some ultra-endurance mtb racing and general night riding in a more trail/free-ride/enduro style riding in the near future.

I just bought ZL SC600Fc IV Plus (intending this to be my handlebar mounted light), zl sc64c (will try this out on the helmet; have heard the beam may be too focused/hot-spotty for the purpose, but real life use will tell).

I ride a lazer revolution helmet which has a gopro compatible mount, so bought a go-pro quick release buckle set (cheap plastic on amazon) as well as this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076V6HYK1/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Bought a cheap plastic bar mount as well, this specifically https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0168H0EPY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Also bought fenix 3500 mah 18650 protected batteries and charger in a bundle on amazon.

Interested to hear thoughts on my set-up and will report back with a rela world test when I get it all in, charged up and used/abused.

angerdan

Enlightened
It's only usable for seeing things in close area in front of the wheel.
Wether suitable for use on public roads during night than any areas with incoming traffic.
Investing $100 for an Fenix BC30 and using 2x 18650 would'nt change that.

But there are real bike lights for use in areas with traffic.
Examples are :

• Specialized Flux Expert
  • Specialized Flux Elite
  • Outbound Lighting Focal Series
  • Supernova M99 (Pure/Pure+/Pro/MiniPro)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?370685-quot-Flashlight-Etiquette-quot-for-Cyclists&p=5140620&viewfull=1#post5140620
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?389285-REVIEW-Busch-amp-Muller-Ixon-IQ-Premium-Warning-Photo-Heavy&p=5156803&viewfull=1#post5156803

Last edited:

dubcbadass

Newly Enlightened
Made my first amateur move. Seems the Fenix batteries I ordered https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-arbl18-high-capacity-18650-battery-3500mah/ protected don't fit in the ZL sc64c. STill waiting on the sc600fc. Bummer. Purchasing some panasonic/sanyo NCR18650GA and LG MH1 non protected as they seem like they will both fit. Will post impressions when I get everything in and up and running/ridden.

I think I will probably buy a BC30 as angerdan suggested. Seems this would best works as a handlebar mounted unit (somewhat concerned about the bar mount for chunky trail riding here in Tennessee). Any 18650 helmet mounted lights (non torch) I should consider? Fenix BC21R looks like it would do well at helmet duties (and would double as a nice commuting/road bike light) but I cant find any info on if there is a reasonable way to helmet mount this or any way to put this on a gopro compatible mount. Any ideas?

Planning to eventually get a set of dedicated bike lights as well for maximum of options/modularity. On the cheap end, considering magicshine 906 for bar mount and 900 or 902 for helmet duties vs. the gucci option Niterider. Would be interested to hear any thoughts about the current state of dedicated bike lighting from y'all as well. That way I'll have dedicated bike lights with battery packs, all in ones as backup and flashlights as double redundant backups.

What a rabbit hole! Thanks in advance for replies.

Keitho

Enlightened
I use a pair of ZL's for mountain and road biking. For me, having a dedicated bike light and also a dedicated EDC light is redundant--I prefer to spend disposable cash on dual-use items. The distances and times that I use the lights are well suited to the most efficient single-cell lights, and I prefer running dual lights (one helmet, one bar). Fenix products look great, and I keep looking for an excuse to get a BC30, but haven't found a good reason yet.

FWIW, I use my SC64c on my helmet (formerly SC63w; the 64c is a small step up in CRI and tint to my eyes), and an SC600FcIV+ on my bar (formerly an SC600FdIII+). Obviously, I prefer CRI and warm tint for my outdoor pursuits. On H2a, the SC64c runs an amazing 1.5 hours or so, and the SC600's run about an hour. That is plenty of time for my bike commutes, and I don't mind changing cells while I'm waiting for my friends on MTB rides, so I can't justify getting larger/heavier lights. If I were still doing 24 hour races, I'd probably either get Fenix or Exposure stuff for my bar for courses with laps greater than 1 hour, but would probably still run an SC64 on my helmet due to weight, convenience, and efficiency.

carrot

Flashaholic
Try Twofish Lockblocks. For small lights (18650 and smaller) there is no more secure solution. They are relatively inexpensive and nearly indestructible.

I have used them for years, although I prefer dedicated bike lights for their blinky modes these days.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I spent $20 on a handlebar mount for my LED Lenser H14R.2. It works great. Here in Oz you have to wear a bike helmet. I like using it best as a headlamp on the bike but the bicycle mount got tested last night on a 25k ride on my Scott Bosch Mountain Bike and it worked great.

I am probably going to spend up though and get a M99 Pure 6V or the new Mini with an E3 tail light and get it fitted to the Bosch motor.

I do think though a helmet mounted system would be good provided it isn't too expensive but the H14R.2 won't do that.

angerdan

Enlightened
Any 18650 helmet mounted lights (non torch) I should consider?
Fenix BC21R looks like it would do well at helmet duties (and would double as a nice commuting/road bike light) but I cant find any info on if there is a reasonable way to helmet mount this or any way to put this on a gopro compatible mount. Any ideas?
Planning to eventually get a set of dedicated bike lights as well for maximum of options/modularity. On the cheap end, considering magicshine 906 for bar mount and 900 or 902 for helmet duties vs. the gucci option Niterider. Would be interested to hear any thoughts about the current state of dedicated bike lighting from y'all as well. That way I'll have dedicated bike lights with battery packs, all in ones as backup and flashlights as double redundant backups.
BC21R is the easiest solution.
Universal helmet mounts are available from Magicshine.
What do you mean with current state of dedicated bike lighting?
I guess all answers has been already posted here:
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?389285-REVIEW-Busch-amp-Muller-Ixon-IQ-Premium-Warning-Photo-Heavy
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?370685-quot-Flashlight-Etiquette-quot-for-Cyclist
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428967-Best-flashlight-handlebar-mount-money-can-buy-for-mountain-biking
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?443787-Commuting-battery-powere-front-light-for-mounting-under-a-porteur-rack-(dynamo-mount)
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?442455-Light-system-for-recumbent-trike&p=5167199

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjDz4haJjup3hMhMI8eqWAifSHsP6w

The link is to onedrive with my Led Lenser H14R.2 mounted. 450 lumens and a ten hour run time. Incredibly compact and can fit back into my headband in 30 seconds. 1000 lumens on boost. 60 lumens on low.

Bike is a Scott e-aspect 720 with Bosch Performance Line Drive. Here in Perth we are blessed with lots of dedicated bicycle tracks and mountain bike trails. I only travel on roads to make like a chicken and get to the other side. I rode 25k around the lake Joondalup a few nights back, saw nobody except a kangaroo and her Joey (in her pouch) staring at me from the side of the path.

I like nighttime, my time.

Last edited:

angerdan

Enlightened
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjDz4haJjup3hMhMI8eqWAifSHsP6w

The link is to onedrive with my Led Lenser H14R.2 mounted. 450 lumens and a ten hour run time. Incredibly compact and can fit back into my headband in 30 seconds. 1000 lumens on boost. 60 lumens on low.

Bike is a Scott e-aspect 720 with Bosch Performance Line Drive. Here in Perth we are blessed with lots of dedicated bicycle tracks and mountain bike trails. I only travel on roads to make like a chicken and get to the other side. I rode 25k around the lake Joondalup a few nights back, saw nobody except a kangaroo and her Joey (in her pouch) staring at me from the side of the path.

I like nighttime, my time.
Your light setup looks futuristic :)

But for just 450lm it is huge, the Lupine SL B is maybe 1/4 the size of the Led Lenser H14R.
lupine.de/products/bike-lights/e-bike-lights/sl-bosch/sl-b-bosch
lupine.de/products/bike-lights/e-bike-lights/for-bosch

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
Your light setup looks futuristic :)

But for just 450lm it is huge, the Lupine SL B is maybe 1/4 the size of the Led Lenser H14R.
lupine.de/products/bike-lights/e-bike-lights/sl-bosch/sl-b-bosch
lupine.de/products/bike-lights/e-bike-lights/for-bosch

I like the Lupine light I should look at that. Mind you I actually really like this setup I have. It is working very well albeit it is a spherical beam and no doubt a beam designed specifically for bike use is better. My Bosch performance line bike will output 6v so I'd get 500 lumens out of the Lupine but that is plenty. The nice thing with the Led Lenser is the focus adjustment on the beam. Very handy and I am beginning to like it. I think it is fine for tracks that are paved. On rough off road tracks I think something like the Lupine is obviously better. tonight I did 15k and encountered one bicyclist, not a single other human on the Lake Joondalup path. Nice. Thanks for the links too.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I have used the Led Lenser H14R.2 now dozens of times for night rides and it works just great.

I have ordered a Fenix BC30R 2017 Edition though. The reason is obviously a dual beam purpose built light is still better. I can also still use my Lenser as a headlamp or also mounted on the handlebar as a backup.

I decided to go with the built-in battery as I am in the habit of plugging in my bike as well as the light at the same time when I get back from the ride.

I will report back but the BC30 light has been out for several years now and I think people are familiar enough with it. It looks like a great light and they have increased the output/efficiency in the 2017 model and improved the mounting system somewhat.

The other reason I got it is it is less blinding to other people using the tracks although I don't use it in traffic. It is also better for low level use in the day time for visibility on the low setting.

I enjoy riding at night and lighting the night. I also find it totally free of people. I rode on the paved track around Lake Joondalup here in Perth, 25km and didn't see a single person one night. In the day time I would have passed dozens of people.

Edit: The Led Lenser H14R.2 though is one hell of a light though and extremely versatile. The handlebar mount also works very well although no lateral swivel (no problem for me). It mounts solidly and is easy to unclip. The only situation in which it may not be ideal is in very rough riding where there may be enough force to swivel the light downwards. It is supposed to swivel and it hasn't ever done it at night while riding but one day I hammered down a hill, off road, at speed and noticed afterwards it had swivelled downwards. Mind you for a General Purpose light it has been great.

Last edited:

workinthelight

Newly Enlightened
I use a pair of ZL's for mountain and road biking. For me, having a dedicated bike light and also a dedicated EDC light is redundant--I prefer to spend disposable cash on dual-use items. The distances and times that I use the lights are well suited to the most efficient single-cell lights, and I prefer running dual lights (one helmet, one bar). Fenix products look great, and I keep looking for an excuse to get a BC30, but haven't found a good reason yet.

FWIW, I use my SC64c on my helmet (formerly SC63w; the 64c is a small step up in CRI and tint to my eyes), and an SC600FcIV+ on my bar (formerly an SC600FdIII+). Obviously, I prefer CRI and warm tint for my outdoor pursuits. On H2a, the SC64c runs an amazing 1.5 hours or so, and the SC600's run about an hour. That is plenty of time for my bike commutes, and I don't mind changing cells while I'm waiting for my friends on MTB rides, so I can't justify getting larger/heavier lights. If I were still doing 24 hour races, I'd probably either get Fenix or Exposure stuff for my bar for courses with laps greater than 1 hour, but would probably still run an SC64 on my helmet due to weight, convenience, and efficiency.

Can you share how you mount the sc64 to your helmet? I'm hoping to do the same thing with an sc64w.

Keitho

Enlightened
Can you share how you mount the sc64 to your helmet? I'm hoping to do the same thing with an sc64w.
I use a helmet mount that came with an old exposure Diablo. It's about 5 years old and works on any 1" diameter light. I'd hate to buy a replacement though--last I looked it was overpriced, even for exposure. I think it was $35 usd. If my exposure mount breaks I think I'll try the twofish mount before rewarding exposure for overpriced plastic. I'd actually prefer to buy a $200 3d printer and learn how to use it than spend $35!