Increasing lumens in ceiling fan

blingy

Newly Enlightened
I have a ceiling fan that uses 3 40-watt incandescent candelabra bulbs. It is not very bright. Can I replace these bulbs with 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs, that claim to use only 7 watts per bulb?? Thanks for any help.

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
I have a ceiling fan that uses 3 40-watt incandescent candelabra bulbs. It is not very bright. Can I replace these bulbs with 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs, that claim to use only 7 watts per bulb?? Thanks for any help.

Probably. Wattage limits are limits on actual watts, not equivalent watts, so 7 < 40 is fine. I say "probably" because if the bulbs are completely enclosed by the fixture you should find bulbs rated for enclosed fixtures, and if it is on a dimmer the bulbs should be dimmer-compatible.

blingy

Newly Enlightened
Probably. Wattage limits are limits on actual watts, not equivalent watts, so 7 < 40 is fine. I say "probably" because if the bulbs are completely enclosed by the fixture you should find bulbs rated for enclosed fixtures, and if it is on a dimmer the bulbs should be dimmer-compatible.

Thank you very much.