Brand suggestions for automotive LED bulbs?

patrick37027

Newly Enlightened
HI, all,

I have a 2004 pickup that currently has 912 incandescent bulbs (~16w) for the reverse lights. I bought some LED replacement bulbs, and right off the bat one was defective. (And that was after testing the bulb in both sides and rotating 180 degrees for polarity.)

I also noticed that due to the weight and length of the bulbs compared to the incandescents, I was concerned they might work themselves out of the sockets over time/distance. In looking at several reviews for various LED replacements on Amazon, most of the high reviews were initial impressions, whereas the lower reviews were for bulbs that failed after several weeks or a few months.

Will this be a common problem with LED replacement bulbs of this type? I'm wondering if the problem is heat buildup inside the tail light fixture, cheap components, stress on the connections as the bulb is positioned horizontally, or some combination thereof.

There are many brands on Amazon. Those with the most review were JDM Astar and Rayhoo with numerous other brands close behind.

Are there any brands that are more reliable that I can find elsewhere? Or will the environment of a truck tail light in a horizontal mounting position take its toll on any LED?

Thanks.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Almost all the "LED bulbs" available on the market are unsafe junk. There are a (very) few legitimate ones. Get these while you still can; Philips just released a new version of it that's cheaper to make but gives inferior performance -- a result of the cheap junk dragging price expectations down and creating a "race to the bottom". :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost all the "LED bulbs" available on the market are unsafe junk. There are a (very) few legitimate ones.
And it's slightly harder to find the legitimate ones on parts shelves in stores (that's improving a little bit) or at the lighting section of a "travel center" (so much less threatening a name than "truck stop" I guess). The cheaper products (like the corn-cob 'bulbs' and the like) feed into the cycle of reviews/purchases.

Get these while you still can; Philips just released a new version of it that's cheaper to make but gives inferior performance -- a result of the cheap junk dragging price expectations down and creating a "race to the bottom". :-(
Those cheap and nasty Putco ("Where the Putz goes!") bulbs, unfortunately, serve to incentivize the legitimate companies to cut corners in the name of competition. :( Tell me a similar thing WON'T happen to the 7440 or 7443 (or did those already start near the bottom? Application will be a friend's RX300.)

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Tell me a similar thing WON'T happen to the 7440 or 7443 (or did those already start near the bottom? Application will be a friend's RX300.)

Not to derail this tread, but I have a the same question about the bulbs for the RX300, as well as my mother just bought one.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to derail this tread
Not a derailment at all-- more a "me, too" maybe, but not a derailment

but I have a the same question about the bulbs for the RX300, as well as my mother just bought one.
Excellent choice! They seem to go forever.

One thing to look out for on those is that the sidemarker lights will probably be extremely faded and may have very badly corroded contacts. The headlamps may also be due for a replacement-- genuine Toyota parts are the only suitable replacement. (OK, so that was a derailment)

Bringing things back on track regarding LEDs: For the CHMSL applications requiring a 921, the 6000K CCT is too far towards blue to produce an acceptable red color behind a red lens.

Last edited:

patrick37027

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in responding. I see now that I posted the thread in the wrong section. Looks like the moderator was kind enough to put in the right one. (Thanks.) I had set up a bookmark for that section instead of logging in and checking subscribed threads.

That said . . . I had seen the Philips bulbs, but in the pics, it looks like the ends are "capped?" I thought the projector style would be better, but I'm just guessing, and that's why I came here for advice.

I'll order a set of the Philips tonight. I can't wait to try them out. Anything should be an improvement over the stock bulbs.

Thanks for your help!

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Almost all the "LED bulbs" available on the market are unsafe junk. There are a (very) few legitimate ones. Get these while you still can; Philips just released a new version of it that's cheaper to make but gives inferior performance -- a result of the cheap junk dragging price expectations down and creating a "race to the bottom". :-(
I ordered a set from your link for my F150. They arrived today, but apparently are the newer lower performance units as they don't match the photo on Amazon. I imagine I'll send them back later this week.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The original link I supplied was this -- it was edited by a well-intentioned other moderator; try this original link.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
The original link I supplied was this -- it was edited by a well-intentioned other moderator; try this original link.
Thanks, I just ordered from the latest link.

I see that several reviewers claim the two pack, from the other link, is the latter model and cheaper. Part of the "race to the bottom" you mentioned. But being a member of this fine group, I know whom to listen to.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a set from [the link Alaric D swapped in to your post] for my F150. They arrived today, but apparently are the newer lower performance units as they don't match the photo on Amazon. I imagine I'll send them back later this week.
Wow, I didn't realize that seller was selling the new product with the old pics. If you could, could you file a complaint with Amazon to let them know the product is not as represented?

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I mentioned that in my return reason, but part of it may be my fault. The initial photo shows the old shape with the cap over the top. But when you choose one of the other colors, the photo changes to the new shape. Easy to miss if you don't carefully watch the photo.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go to the Philips site once in a while to see if they've updated the "legal to use in" list. All three 921 bulb types seem to be listed, for the various vehicles they are legal in.
Not like that has the force of law, it's all that they've tested in that they say would pass compliance testing.

So the 6000K color is legal for reverse light function? (They are all 6000K, I think.)
Reversing lamps must be white. These bulbs are white.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
Thanks for explaining!

@ GaryM. Selecting another color is selecting a different bulb, no? Hopefully they'll set things right for you!

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
662x1024 exceeds maximum of 800x800

Looks like I won the lottery Virgil! These will fit all three of my vehicles. I bought these for my F150, but I might order two more sets for my Subaru Forester and Toyota Avalon. Are they best for those too?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Those are the right ones (and yes, they'll work well in the backup lights of those other vehicles)...stock up while you can!

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Installed the set in my Avalon this morning. Nice and bright.

We all know that led lights are polarity sensitive, right. I noticed that the circuit board on these is marked V+ and Gnd. Makes it easy to get it right the first time.