• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

So can you place a pre-paid order for Elzetta AVS Bravo?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never dealt with Elzetta before, I thought about ordering this but it's out of stock...

http://www.oveready.com/elzetta-flashlights/custom-elzetta-avs-bravo-18650-900l/prod_374.html

So...is this an item that I can simply order, or is this one of those products where it is a pipe dream to ever get one, and all you ever see is 'OUT OF STOCK'??

With a bored battery tube you risk to lose 2-mode tail cap functionality. There is a switch rod inside those caps that rides the internal edge of the tube. You either lose switching modes at once or a bit later when the tiny rod will be damaged from lateral forces.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks definitely good to know. I have no clue why Elzetta themselves do not make an option for rechargeable batteries, I totally baffles me!!

Johnnyh

Enlightened
The Elzetta Bones accepts 18650's. While the high/low tail cap from them fits/operates ok (I have both) I hesitate to use it on the bones, seems a bit too tight...something just not right about it...not sure but I don't want to screw it up! Probably due to what vadimax said. The Bones is equipped with a regular momentary forward press clicky. Single mode 650 lumens. Beam (to my eyes) is identical to an AVS Bravo. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

coffeecup66

Enlightened
The Elzetta Bones accepts 18650's. While the high/low tail cap from them fits/operates ok (I have both) I hesitate to use it on the bones, seems a bit too tight...something just not right about it...not sure but I don't want to screw it up! Probably due to what vadimax said. The Bones is equipped with a regular momentary forward press clicky. Single mode 650 lumens. Beam (to my eyes) is identical to an AVS Bravo. Hope this helps.

Do you like cheese ?

Hope this helps too.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

The part that I don't understand is that this IS Elzetta that we are talking about, they are the ones that design the flashlights FROM SCRATCH, why are they boring anything?? I understand that Oveready will bore out an Elzetta so that it can except a 18650, because they are not Elzetta they are modding an Elzetta. But Elzetta is the manufacturer, why not just make a 18650 host flashlight that's a little fatter?? Wouldn't this be equivalent to Subaru making an Outback...and then shaving it down until it's a Crosstrek lol? Um, just make a Crosstrek, and just make an Outback lol. Likewise, just make a 18650 flashlight!!

Johnnyh

Enlightened
The part that I don't understand is that this IS Elzetta that we are talking about, they are the ones that design the flashlights FROM SCRATCH, why are they boring anything?? I understand that Oveready will bore out an Elzetta so that it can except a 18650, because they are not Elzetta they are modding an Elzetta. But Elzetta is the manufacturer, why not just make a 18650 host flashlight that's a little fatter?? Wouldn't this be equivalent to Subaru making an Outback...and then shaving it down until it's a Crosstrek lol? Um, just make a Crosstrek, and just make an Outback lol. Likewise, just make a 18650 flashlight!!
I would buy that fatter one if they did! I find the high/low tailcap really handy but it's use on a bored Bravo (or Bones) is not ideal due to the thinner cap-to-body interface. Would love to see it beefed up enough to make that better. All in all, I think Elzettas are geared toward LEO's, Military, Home Defenders as serious weapon lights so (not really sure of this) but making it over a 1" diameter would probably negate a lot of weapon mounts, etc. Just a guess. But hey, they came out with the 18650-capable Bones when it seemed they never would so who knows? By the way, I used to wonder why Ford could'nt just make a shrunken F150 when I was tooling around in my crummy little Ranger! LOL!

Last edited:

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
I bored my AVS Bravo with a hi/low cap to use 18650/two 18350s a while ago. I did bore it from the head to tail end and left a lip at the cap end to not potentially compromise the cap function. [emoji106]🏻[emoji41]

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Oveready bored Bravo on low all the time. It's almost like Oveready bored the Bones intentionally to not work with a high/low tail cap.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, Chance...if you're going to point it out that we've been ignoring Beasts's actual question, then I'll answer it.

Oveready does not accept pre-orders for product that they don't possess.

This out of stock situation is different from the other products that Oveready sells that are rarely in stock.

Oveready used to host what they called "Bore Batches" in which they gathered our light bodies, shipped them as a group to a machine shop, which bored them for 18mm cells, retrieved them from the machine shop, and shipped them back to us. In addition to shipping our bodies to the machine shop, they purchased their own Surefire and Elzetta bodies and added them to the batch. Info in the below posts suggests that either Oveready had some bored bodies left over from the previous Bore Batch, or is having Elzetta bodies bored outside of the public batches.

>....Directly from ElectronGuru in the Surefire Modification Service:.... thread, "Signups are down from last year which were down from the year before which were...

You get the picture. I expect to have one more batch before 2020, if that.

Sorry, there just aren't enough unbored bodies left in the world!."

If you're really patient, then you may be able to buy one from Oveready that's already been bored. If you'd like to speed up the process, buy about 100 Surefire 6Ps, and register them for Bore Batch Q. Alternatively, you can promote Oveready's Bore Batch option to get others to participate. Bore Batch Q unofficially opened in March of 2016, and has three unofficial entries.

A search for PrecisionWorks may result in another option for you. A quicker, and likely less expensive option can be found below.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I use my Oveready bored Bravo on low all the time. It's almost like Oveready bored the Bones intentionally to not work with a high/low tail cap.

Grizzman, Guess I erroneously assumed (yes, I know what happens when we ***-u-me things!) that any bored Bravo would suffer the same thinning of the tailcap end that I see on the Bones. So the Oveready bored Bravo is better in this regard? Just wondering because if they are, Oveready has 19 bodies (no led) in stock and I will get one!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Johnnyh's post made me look at Oveready's non-AVS Bravo sales page....and the bored bodies are available for purchase.....right now. There is absolutely no body or tailcap difference between an AVS Bravo and a non-AVS Bravo.

Choose a bezel option, select the lens kit, and select a tailcap. Once you have the body and tailcap ordered, go to Elzetta.com to order an AVS head by itself if you're interested in that option.

After you have the complete light with AVS head, you can begin your research into the best Malkoff drop-in to use with the low profile bezel when the AVS is simply too large.

I had my first Elzetta body bored four years ago. I use it very often, and on low almost as much as on high. Also, it seems a day doesn't pass in which I don't drop a light onto hard wood flooring (sometimes multiple times). I have no idea how many times the old ZFL-M60 has bounced off of it, with no signs of it every occurring. At that point in history, Oveready used a machine shop that cut a bit of a bevel to the outside edge of the tail, instead of having the stock threads go all the way to the end of the tail. I had a Bravo bored as part of last year's Bore Batch, and the machine shop used for this batch left the rearmost threads alone. This should make it even better for high/low operation than my well used specimen, that works absolutely.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
There ya go Beast! BTW, the Malkoff M61N is really nice in my low profile Bravo. It's not bored so I use a Keepower 16650 2500mah, works good but the runtime increase in the 18650 would be better! If I can confirm that my $55.00 tailcap won't get skewered by the body, I'm all over it myself!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready isn't going to continue to offer a product or service that isn't absolutely oustanding. They're friendly people and should happily answer any questions you may have.

They're trying to get ready for a product release on the weekend of the 5th, so this is likely a busy time for them.

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT...my post was a mess I cleaned it up...

Ok I'm glad that the issue with the light being prone to damage with lots of High Low operation turned out to be a misunderstanding!! That had me losing interest. Ok so with that cleared up I got the itch for the light agian. Ok, so I just bought the host at Oveready...Crenellated bezel, High Low switch, and M61/M91 lens kit. So let me see if I understand, so I now go buy the AVS Head at Elzetta, then I buy all kinds of drop ins and get to have a bunch of different beam patterns and brightnesses? I never had a drop in light before.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Great choice Beast!

Let me see if I can clear it up.

The AVS head and the standard bezel head you are getting are separate and distinct units.

The AVS head is a complete head which includes the LED with your choice of optic lens (throw or flood) and your choice of bezel (smooth or crenelated). You just screw it on and it's good to go. It does NOT accept drop-ins. The optic lens and bezel are the only parts that are able to be swapped out. That unit costs about $110, depending on bezel choice. Go to Elzetta.com and play around with the "configurator" feature, you'll see what I mean.

But here's the fun part! The bezel and lens kit you're about to get is where you're going to put a drop-in. I think many would agree that the Malkoff Devices - https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/ - are among the best but there are many others. (Illumn.com has various drop ins by Malkoff also.) This is where you can choose various outputs, tints, etc. You can call/email Malkoff Devices and believe this....they are top notch people and your questions will be answered! Very friendly and helpful. Tell them what you have in hand and what kind of tint, output, runtime you might prefer and you will be steered in the right direction. About $50 and very simple to install. The original Elzetta head (such as the one you have on order) is designed and built to perfectly accept Malkoff drop-ins with no modification. The lens kit you're getting is necessary since the drop-In itself does not have a built-in lens.

As Grizzman has said, the AVS head is a very powerful, great beam but it's kinda big (~1.5" at the bezel) for pocket carry. (If thats your thing). The great thing is, like I said, you just buy it and screw it on and go.

(I have an AVS but I stuck it on a 3 cell Charlie and keep it as the "home defense-invader-blinder-light-everything-up" light next to my bed.)

For what it's worth, the Bravo with the standard (like yours) or low profile bezel with a Malkoff M61N drop is a very great combo for carrying around for everyday use. My own opinion of course!

Good luck and have fun! Let us know which way you go on this!

I was also very encouraged by Grizzman's Oveready testimonial and a Bored Bravo body is on it's way!

Last edited: