AAA light with a Nichia 219 or other high CRI emitter and clip for headlamp use

sbslider

Enlightened
The title has what I am primarily looking for. I copied the form from the sticky and deleted sections that were not applicable in my opinion.

AstroLux A01 AAA is a very close fit but does not have a clip to attach the light to a hat brim. Primary use would be backpacking. Lightweight is preferred as well, so no brass and such.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light? online or in person rather buy in US but would consider overseas shipment

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $25. maybe optimistic but have to start somewhere

3) Format:

single AAA cell flashlight with clip to attach to hat brim for use as a headlamp

4) Size:
see 3

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness) neutral white type like nichia 219B

6) Manufacturer:

someone else makes it and I buy it.

7) What power source do you want to use?

_x___I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA sized cells common to most stores.
_x___I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
_x___I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

___x_I want a fire fly mode (0.01-0.5 lumens). ~ 4 days run time would be nice, more if possible
__x__I want an indoor "blackout" light (20 - 40 lumens) 5 hours or so runtime goal
__x__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60 - 90 lumens). don't expect more than an hour here.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

somewhere in here
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__x__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__x__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

firefly - 3 or 4 days hopefully
medium 3 - 5 hours, more time and lighter end of scale is preferred
high - 30 min to an hour

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_x___Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

__x__Any size switch commensurate with a AAA light will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
See above

14)Material/Finish/Coating

commensurate with above

15) Water resistance
__x__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min) preferred but not a deal breaker

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Neutral white emitter like Nichia 219 type​

sbslider

Enlightened
Lumintop tool

This checks a lot of the boxes, but I don't think it has a high CRI emitter. However, I don't know just from the designation I saw on the Lumintop website.

I have a Fenix LD01 which is not too far off either, but I am looking for especially for the high CRI emitter. To be honest, I have not seen one before. But I have compared the nitecore MT1A and thrunite Archer 1A V3 NW, and I really like the NW vs CW emitter. Want to see what a "real" high CRI emitter looks like.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
This checks a lot of the boxes, but I don't think it has a high CRI emitter. I have a Fenix LD01 which is not too far off either, but I am looking for especially for the high CRI emitter. To be honest, I have not seen one before. But I have compared the nitecore MT1A and thrunite Archer 1A V3 NW, and I really like the NW vs CW emitter. Want to see what a "real" high CRI emitter looks like.

You can get these with the Nichia 219B

sbslider

Enlightened
Just type Lumintop tool nichia into Amazon
That works, thanks!
The amazon page says 3 lumen low mode is 36 hours, close enough. Found reviews for the titanium and copper versions, I am guessing this one has the same electronics, just a different chassis material?
Open to other options as well, But I must admit this light hits or gets very close to everything on my wish list, thanks!!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, the Astrolux A01 may have implemented some undesirable changes a few months ago, including PWM and an odd "next-mode" memory (eg, turn it off in low, next time you use it, it comes on in medium) that according to one poster can result in unintentionally entering strobe mode from time to time. More info here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?424055-Astrolux-A01-different-versions/page2

If either of those bother you, the Manker E01 is almost identical to the better, original Astrolux A01, but a little more expensive, and still doesn't come with a pocket clip.

The Lumintop Tool is available with a Nichia 219, a reversible pocket clip, and a reverse clicky switch. Things to be aware of are it's lowest mode is 3 lumens and the mode sequence is medium-low-high with no memory. It's also available in copper and titanium versions for a price premium.

The Lumintop Worm has the same driver but a Twisty switch, and I think the Nichia is only available in the more expensive copper or stainless versions.

EagleTac D25AAA is another Twisty available with a Nichia, but costs $30. Also, I don't think the pocket clip is reversible to the direction necessary for hat brim use.

Thrunite has a couple AAA lights available with neutral white emitters, but they are not high CRI. For simplicity's sake, just go to their website to see the selection if CRI isn't super important.

Lastly, might as well mention the Nitecore Tip and Manker LAD, USB rechargeable lights available with Nichia 219. Definitely small and light like a AAA light, but neither have pocket clips. Maybe one could be epoxied on, or some other solution worked out?

sbslider

Enlightened
The copper and titanium versions both have Nichia 219b as an option. I noticed some on eBay today. You may find the low too high, no true firefly mode.
the copper and Ti are out of my price range. I agree regarding firefly mode, but not sure I will find all the boxes checked. But I am still open to other options.

sbslider

Enlightened
thanks for the other options Iamlucky13. I have a NW thrunite light, hoping to see what a high CRI light looks like for a backpacking light. The epoxy a clip on idea had occurred to me, it may be practical on something like the nitecore tip.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly not sure there is a light that hits all these:
$25
Firefly
High-CRI

Plenty that do two.

sbslider

Enlightened
Honestly not sure there is a light that hits all these:
$25
Firefly
High-CRI

Plenty that do two.
I don't know a lot about what lights are out there, but I suspect you are right. Closest thing mentioned so far is the amazon lumintop tool with the nichia emitter. The nitecore tip CRI s a close second, a bit higher priced, and no clip, but that may be easily modifiable. Size and weight hit my aaa weight goal pretty much.

gunga

Flashaholic
I can sell you a black Lumintop worm 4 modded with Nichia 219A high cri for $18. Mint. But it's not a hat clip. I can include a spare aaa clip from fenix if you want. Might look funny with 2 clips on but will work.

3 modes. Medium - low - high. Low mode around 2.5-3 lumens.

sbslider

Enlightened
I can sell you a black Lumintop worm 4 modded with Nichia 219A high cri for $18. Mint. But it's not a hat clip. I can include a spare aaa clip from fenix if you want. Might look funny with 2 clips on but will work.

3 modes. Medium - low - high. Low mode around 2.5-3 lumens.
I don't understand. The worms I have seen in a brief search don't have 3 modes or a clip . . . . .

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4/7 Atom aaa nichia is grea if a Mule will work for you though it is both over the price limit and needs a headlamp adapter to be a headlamp.
Really nice tiny light though.

I have used my D25aaa with a rubber band on the visor so that I could use it as a headlamp too,it is so lightweight that it actually works this way!
The Tool should as well?

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
the copper and Ti are out of my price range. I agree regarding firefly mode, but not sure I will find all the boxes checked. But I am still open to other options.

You can find coupon codes very often that bring the price to around $30. The brass Massdrop exclusive is set to be available on Tuesday at $25. Bear in mind that it has the funny switch that turns the light off between clicks, there is no half press. It does tailstand thought, something the clicky version doesn't do.

I also noticed the aluminum with Nichia 219b (and clicky switch) on Amazon yesterday for $20,