Garage door opener led lightbulb burning out?

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
I installed a Chamberlain belt drive garage door opener about 6 months ago. I mounted it on a solid wood frame made of 2x6s, not just hanging by metal straps. The solid mount should help reduce vibration. I installed 2 Cree 16.5 watt LED bulbs(100 watt equivalent), one on each side. Since then I have had to replace the one on the left side 3 times now. I asked Chamberlain and got a total BS answer. They don't recommend LED because it can cause interference with your remote. That is not my problem.

Anyone have any ideas why just the left one is burning out? This particular garage door opener model has a motion sensor that turns the lights on anytime someone enters the garage so they do get a little more use than just the few times a day we open and close the garage door. I would expect to get more than 2 months of life out of an LED bulb. How sensitive are they to vibration? Any ideas on how to fix the issue or should I just go with incandescent rough service bulbs?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

mds82

Enlightened
just a thought, but is the garage door trying to fade the light bulb on, or perhaps its even running it dimmed down through a lower voltage. Is the cree bulb dimable?

you could check the output voltage with a multi meter too

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that it is trying to fade the bulbs. The Cree bulb is dimmable.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I have bulb issues with my Chamberlin opener as well. They don't burn out, but because they don't go as deep into the socket they stop working until I take a pair of long nose pliers and pull the center contact up to re-establish a connection.

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
Does that happen over time, do you have to do that when you first install them?

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
It happens over time. Seems I need to do it about every 2 or 3 months. Doing it initially wouldn't hurt.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could try adding a remote socket to it to remove any vibration issues by using a screw in cord adapter and an incan drop light with whatever screw type base bulb you want hung elsewhere.