Review: Manker MK35 Prototype (Pics, Runtime, Beamshots)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Manker MK35 from Manker for the review.
The MK35 is a big thrower light from Manker.
This sample is a prototype, so expect some imperfections in the finishes, and some changes in the final version (for example, my sample does not feature physical polarity protection but that will be present in the final version).

The Light came in a cardboard box, padded with white foam. No accessories for a prototype but a lanyard.
No manual or specification was given to me, except:
a) The max output (around 2500 Lumens).
b) The UI is the same as the Manker MK34.
c) It has over discharge protection integrated.
d) NW tint will be available in the future.

IMG_0271_zpsbd3efwox.jpg

IMG_0285_zpstim79qle.jpg

The light is comparable in size as my Nitecore TM16GT.
IMG_0258_zps2aoowlpi.jpg

IMG_0259_zpsnbr7hx0t.jpg

The light packs a XHP-35 Hi Emitter, in a deep smooth reflector
IMG_0273_zps0hnghjkp.jpg

IMG_0326_zps1mo2knjc.jpg

And, as the MK34, it is controlled by a single electronic switch, at the head.
IMG_0327_zpsv5ja6vbl.jpg

It can be found in the dark because it is positioned in a fin less zone, and is deeper than the surface.
Notice that the usual Manker rubber switch cover, with the Manker logo, has been replaced by a hard plastic one, black except for a clear part in the center.
IMG_0276_zpsojlnftlc.jpg

Opposite to the switch, there is a tripod screw.
IMG_0281_zpsq3mclqin.jpg

The tailcap is wide and flat and has 2 position for mounting lanyards.
IMG_0290_zpscqa6o5xe.jpg

The tailcap has the usual construction, adopted by several 3-4x18650 models
IMG_0292_zpsg17ccs7p.jpg

The threads on the body are squared cut and anodized, so physical lockout is possible
IMG_0314_zpsy5evnyki.jpg

A few marks on the anodization inside the body. Again, this is a prototype and not a light that will go on sale.
IMG_0299_zpsd9qfnoha.jpg

On the end of the body, there are the contact points for the driver at the head. They are golden plated, and the threads are anodized and square cut.
IMG_0311_zpsay4vbucd.jpg

At the head, the 2 contact points are golden plated also.
IMG_0307_zpsluczifcw.jpg

Some size measurement
IMG_0320_zpsj4ht0xif.jpg

IMG_0324_zpsjbxtfcbs.jpg

IMG_0323_zps8oipjffa.jpg

IMG_0317_zpsqsc0akwk.jpg

My scale is broken, so no info on the weight.

UI
I paste what I wrote on the MK34 review:
how-to-operate-manker-mk34-led-flashlight.jpg

• When the flashlight is off, one click, access to moonlight mode (left part of the figure), one click to circle: Moonlight – Low – Medium 1 – Medium 2 – High. Long press for light off.*
• When the flashlight is off, long press to access to the mode your last use as in left part of the figure (Memory function), one click for circle. Long press for off.
• When the flashlight is off, double click access to Turbo, one click for circle. Long press for light off.
• When the flashlight is on, double click to switch between the two groups (left and right part of the figure)
• Basically, the UI is very similar to the one of the other Manker lights, but it has improved: you keep access to the lowest mode and the last used mode… but finally you can directly access to turbo mode.
• When the battery is running low the LED under the switch will be purple (<50%), and later on red(<20%).
• *if you are in high, and keep pressing the switch, the light will switch levels in this order: high, mid2, mid1, low, moonlight.
• The output of the moonlight mode is 0.1 – 30 lumens because using the engineering mode (indicated in the graph) you can change it.

But there are some differences:
a) The LED under the switch will work as battery indicator staying on all the time.
b) The rubber cover on the MK34 was more transparent compared to the dark plastic one of the MK35. The dragon breath still works, but the light is visible only at the transparent center of the dark plastic switch cover.
c) I have not measured the max output that can be set at moonlight mode, but to my eyes is less then 30 lumens.

Output and runtime.
Due to time restrains, I have not tested the output at moonlight and low mode.

Output_zps2bltpcjj.png

Runtime1_zpsbcpuycpc.png

After the temporized stepdown, the brightness from Turbo stays on the High2 levels.
Runtime2_zpsx0kmqf8q.png

Runtime3_zpsze2hrusa.png

Sorry about this plot, but I started the runtime test without knowing the output of the modes and I expected a shorter runtime ad mid mode (I thought it was in the 2-300 lumen range), and so the light has been stuck in the runtime box for straight 33 hours.
IMG_0407_zpsut320aet.jpg

The fluctuation in the output is gradual, and in the 10 lumens range. Not noticeable with the eye during the use.
Runtime4_zpsob3qbwqb.png

Throw measurement
Turbo 19'450 lux at 5 meters = 486'250 Cd
High 13070 lux at 5 meters = 326'750 Cd
Mid2 4760 lux at 5 meters = 119'000 Cd
Mid1 643 lux at 5 meters = 16'075 Cd

Beamshots
I got a new, nicer camera and I have not had the chance to use it many times.
Tree at 100 meters. As control, I used a well known light with good throw: Nitecore TM16GT. On the camera they looked very close to what I saw, on the monitor that I'm using they are underexposed. Still, you get the idea.
IMG_0421_zpsafybo5la.jpg

IMG_0418_zpsoder9q0l.jpg

IMG_0420_zpsupbokxwx.jpg

IMG_0419_zpshjiab0yg.jpg

A couple of GIFs.
output_2xktJa_zps88ynpvfh.gif

output_0NJkxd_zpscth6b1za.gif

In the GIF is more evident that I moved the tripod when changing from one light to the other.
It would have not happened if the TM16GT had the tripod screw on the body and not on the tailcap. At 100 meters, 1 meter closer or further does not make so much difference.

While I was taking the shot a visitor run through the beam and stayed a bit to watch.
Visitor_zpskj2vd84x.jpg

I will take more beamshot, with different parameters, at greater distances.

Here are the other Beamshots

Tree with a reflective element on it. 140 meters.
IMG_0454_zpsl1xvjmbq.jpg

IMG_0455_zps4uaneymv.jpg

IMG_0456_zpstoz7xihr.jpg

IMG_0457_zps2geqrl9z.jpg

Building. 350-380 meters.
IMG_0440_zpswd0wkhzg.jpg

In this pic I moved the light on the left to show better how bright and wide the spill is.
IMG_0429_zpsofvie67t.jpg

Building. 450 meters.
IMG_0477_zpsxzqihmba.jpg

IMG_0478_zpstamdiwd4.jpg

IMG_0479_zpsqwhjz0an.jpg

IMG_0480_zpskyoo2u2a.jpg

My thoughts

• Fit and and finishes are not relevant in a prototype, however except the minor scratches in the battery compartment, my sample is perfect.
  • During the use I found myself at ease with the great throw and the wide and bright spill combined. In the many beamshot you'll see that the spill arrives at the center of the tripod, so you can actually point at things that are very far away and still see the details of the path that your feet are traveling.
  • The tripod screw is right where you can mount it on a tripod and orient it in the direction you want without making the tripod fall or reach the max inclination degree. This also helps the Beamshots a lot.
  • Compared to the MK34, the switch feels now much more soft and easier to press. Given the lack of physical lockout, the electronic lockout is the only lockout possible (which now is much easier to achieve given the softer switch).
  • The UI is fine, now I have access to the low mode, the last used mode and the turbo mode.
  • I like the LED under the switch working as a battery indicator, but I'd rather have the rubber switch cover of the elder Manker models, so I can better see the light from that LED, and I find it also nicer to the eye.
  • On the MK34 the max customizable output of the first mode is much brighter (and usable) than the one of the MK35.
  • This light could benefit from being sold with a shoulder strap (one attachment point at the tailcap, another in the tripod screw).

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter, Zampa for the tripod and filming equipment, and PP for the beamshot location.

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Looks very interesting. Wonder what Vihn can do with this big guy. High at 1.6k lm seems a bit conservative.
The hard plastic button is a nice touch!

swan

Banned
It loses 40% lux in one minute- going to be hard to sell especially considering the thrunite TN42 still running at 600 000cd even at half an hour.

Satansjester

Newly Enlightened
The hard plastic button is a nice touch!

And identical to the Utorch UT02 button, which confirms that the UT02 is built in the same factory as the Manker.

ill be waiting to pay the extra for vinh's touch of brilliance and QA, I like manker, got a vinh U21 and its stunning, vinh said he likes the manker as its a tanky build and can handle his heat well, I suspect driver vnx2 and his power boost will make this a must have, and probably much cheaper than the competition.

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
It looks ok though I'd really like a physical switch. My first thought is this one only looks tempting if priced at least $50. less than K70.

Budda

Enlightened
Turbo 19'450 lux at 5 meters = 486'250 Cd
High 13070 lux at 5 meters = 326'750 Cd
Mid2 4760 lux at 5 meters = 119'000 Cd
Mid1 643 lux at 5 meters = 16'075 Cd

ven

Flashaholic
Nice review/pics and thanks for sharing................its impressive when near 500kcd is coming more common out of the box! The head design reminds me of the tk75, similar fins/look.

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
With that kind of Cd I'm perfectly happy with one unmodded. I would be happier if they include a decent holster, I am still awaiting the holster I ordered from China for my U21.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
It loses 40% lux in one minute- going to be hard to sell especially considering the thrunite TN42 still running at 600 000cd even at half an hour.
Don't forget that tn42's head diameter is 100mm and mk35 is 85mm so other than aspheric you can't beat reflector size for shear throw - Manker is pushing the led about the same as Vihn would (original stock tn42 is only 2000 lumens) Vihn just runs his lights harder/hotter and longer, manufacturers are just more conservative.

Last edited:

Budda

Enlightened
Here are the other Beamshots

Tree with a reflective element on it. 140 meters.
IMG_0454_zpsl1xvjmbq.jpg

IMG_0455_zps4uaneymv.jpg

IMG_0456_zpstoz7xihr.jpg

IMG_0457_zps2geqrl9z.jpg

Building. 350-380 meters.
IMG_0440_zpswd0wkhzg.jpg

In this pic I moved the light on the left to show better how bright and wide the spill is.
IMG_0429_zpsofvie67t.jpg

Building. 450 meters.
IMG_0477_zpsxzqihmba.jpg

IMG_0478_zpstamdiwd4.jpg

IMG_0479_zpsqwhjz0an.jpg

IMG_0480_zpskyoo2u2a.jpg

My thoughts

• Fit and and finishes are not relevant in a prototype, however except the minor scratches in the battery compartment, my sample is perfect.
  • During the use I found myself at ease with the great throw and the wide and bright spill combined. In the many beamshot you'll see that the spill arrives at the center of the tripod, so you can actually point at things that are very far away and still see the details of the path that your feet are traveling.
  • The tripod screw is right where you can mount it on a tripod and orient it in the direction you want without making the tripod fall or reach the max inclination degree. This also helps the Beamshots a lot.
  • Compared to the MK34, the switch feels now much more soft and easier to press. Given the lack of physical lockout, the electronic lockout is the only lockout possible (which now is much easier to achieve given the softer switch).
  • The UI is fine, now I have access to the low mode, the last used mode and the turbo mode.
  • I like the LED under the switch working as a battery indicator, but I'd rather have the rubber switch cover of the elder Manker models, so I can better see the light from that LED, and I find it also nicer to the eye.
  • On the MK34 the max customizable output of the first mode is much brighter (and usable) than the one of the MK35.
  • This light could benefit from being sold with a shoulder strap (one attachment point at the tailcap, another in the tripod screw).

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter, Zampa for the tripod and PP for the beamshot location.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the LED under the button is able to be used as a find-the-button-in-the-dark beacon, that's great news!
Does it blink constantly from green and transition to red over the days and months as you use the light over time?

Budda

Enlightened
If the LED under the button is able to be used as a find-the-button-in-the-dark beacon, that's great news!
Does it blink constantly from green and transition to red over the days and months as you use the light over time?
When using the light, the led under the switch goes from blue to purple to red. There's no green. It will stay on while you are using the light and the color will change according to the battery charge. Or you can turn it on when the light is off in the lockout mode or simply in the dragon breath mode.