2017 Nitecore 1x1 double AA MT22A

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw this new double AA side by side light fron Nitecore. Does anyone know the price? I wish it had one more output level between medium and high (something that would give 5 hours runtime). This looks like a nice grab-n-go light.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a soft spot for side-by-sides. Here we go:

MT22A_zpsyotqmdgn.jpg

Looks like a plastic case? If so, 260 lumens could get the LED a bit hot. Too bad it is not offered with neutral/HCRI.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah- it's supposed to be a plastic case. Performance is nothing special. I like it for the design and double AA format. The medium output is where the light would be most useful and has a nice runtime/output ratio.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Would be interesting to see the output curves of this light the 260 lumen mode to my estimates looks close to accurate in runtime but the 45 lumen mode speaks of "down to 10%" unregulated as other past 2AA type lights/headlamps don't do more than 6-12 hours around this level of light. I await a review of this light but I'm guessing it will be a bit too pricey.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
With lights like this is important what the cover is like, how waterproof it is, if the cover is tethered there is always some kind of issue. Will have to see if Nitocore solved this issues.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you see that is supposed to be plastic?
It looks more to me like the Cast Aluminum like the other newest 4 cell lights they have been making although I am not sure why that wold be needed for only 250 lumen output either?

I am interested as the AA lights are my choice mainly and it is something fresher than most of what we are used to seeing somehow.

I have a soft spot for side-by-sides. Here we go:

MT22A_zpsyotqmdgn.jpg

Looks like a plastic case? If so, 260 lumens could get the LED a bit hot. Too bad it is not offered with neutral/HCRI.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
That's an ugly looking light. And the performance seems disappointing considering the much older sunwayman d20a has the same output (and is much more stylish)
If it's cheap then fair enough

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plastic was mentioned in the video from Going Gear 2017 Shot Show clip.

Lower output levels are more efficient and provide more light with the available battery capacity - that's what this light seems useful for. If high output is desired, this is definetly not the right light. The MT22A seems to fill a "nitch".

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you see that is supposed to be plastic?

I didn't, hence the question mark. I was just going from the molded look, but a casting could indeed produce that shape easily. I actually like plastic lights for rough use - think Princeton Tec, StreamLight. But here, I would treat the 260 lumen mode as more of a burst so as not to build up too much heat inside if it is plastic. Need someone to get their hands on one, show the switch, UI, and battery compartment access.

One thing I always liked about the old Mallory side-by-side AA light was that it was still comfortable to hold in your mouth. When I got the Minimag, it was cool and all, but it hurt like heck to hold in your mouth with all that weight cantilevered out there. Still true for modern tubular 2xAA lights.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
This looks cool.
Don't see the switch but if that is placed in a good way and it has a good UI it can be a great light.
The output is just fine for me. I have several lights that max at about 150-300 lumens and that's more than enough for most things.
45 lumens medium can be a good "general use" level.
NW or close to it would be nice.

If they then can do shrinked version that takes 2xAAA I'll buy it immediately. :twothumbs

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I'm interested in this light but wish it was closer to 500 lumens.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay nice design, nice clip ! No sharp edges, good levels simple. I like this.

sphere

Newly Enlightened

MT22A From 4.49 ...

...The MT22A, would be nice in colour/color options, fde/orange/yellow etc (I am actually a fan of fibre reinforced composite/plastic lights, over metal, nicer in cold weather to hold, and hard use etc). And as someone said, a AAA version also a good idea. And maybe a trit blank, and mech lockout.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay for plastic case! Actually hoping for side switch, though. That spot is the battery cover release button.

Not a fan of descending brightness with strobe in the order. But if it has mode memory, I might live with it. She started on high, and if that is default, I have to pass right there.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm really hoping
they make one in Yellow or Orange ! ! !

That's the REAL value of making Plastic stuff !

:cool:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I like plastic LED lights myself but the problem is either they are very flimsy and cheaply made and underperforming or they are all sorts of rated explosive proof and cost sometimes 2-3 times as much as a better performing metal light.

sphere

Newly Enlightened
..I agree. using the likes of military type spec plastic, as used for weapon grips etc,i forget what they call it, or a thermoplastic etc.
Did not Jetbeam, use some carbon reinforced plastic, for one of there flashlights, a few years ago?.