Acebeam L16

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L16 looks good, Acebeam.
Here's what I think will make it even better:
  • Improve your driver first. Based on the EC50 Gen I and Gen II's driver performances against those of the Olight R50 and R50 PRO, it is obvious your boost drivers lag behind your competitors' in efficiency. So, catch up or take the lead with the driver for the L16 (powering the XHP 35 HI, I assume)
  • Offer a 26650 body in addition to the 18650, or just the 26650. The 26650 format makes the EC60 great, and since the L16 looks like it is basically the EC60 head on a different body, don't abandon the 26650 format.
  • Make the light IPX-68, even if the cover over the charging port is not closed, assuming it has in-light charging.
  • If the light is to be tactical, program it to always turn on at Max via the forward clicky at the tail.
  • Offer a 4000k NW version as well.

Take a look at the performance of Eagtac's latest drivers for the XHP 35. Eagtac has set a very high bar. Hope you can match it.

Also, don't make the body too short and therefore uncomfortable to hold, like Nitecore has done with their P30.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
cfGXQPl.jpg

same LED and same reflector as EC60 so identical performance, but of course shorter runtime (18650 cell)

since it's an Acebeam expect balls out LED drive current :) can't say the same about the one on the left ;)

and no "AECBEAM" this time :)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L16 looks good, Acebeam.
Here's what I think will make it even better:
  • Improve your driver first. Based on the EC50 Gen I and Gen II's driver performances against those of the Olight R50 and R50 PRO, it is obvious your boost drivers lag behind your competitors' in efficiency. So, catch up or take the lead with the driver for the L16 (powering the XHP 35 HI, I assume)
  • Offer a 26650 body in addition to the 18650, or just the 26650. The 26650 format makes the EC60 great, and since the L16 looks like it is basically the EC60 head on a different body, don't abandon the 26650 format.
  • Make the light IPX-68, even if the cover over the charging port is not closed, assuming it has in-light charging.
  • If the light is to be tactical, program it to always turn on at Max via the forward clicky at the tail.
  • Offer a 4000k NW version as well.

Take a look at the performance of Eagtac's latest drivers for the XHP 35. Eagtac has set a very high bar. Hope you can match it.

Also, don't make the body too short and therefore uncomfortable to hold, like Nitecore has done with their P30.

tail clicky is ALWAYS MAX. no stupid memory for the tail clicky

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
TLF review here: http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/review-acebeam-l16-farbfilter.56808/
Could be wrong, but it looks like the driver performance is improved over that of the EC60.
Didn't see a runtime plot for the 1000 lumen high mode in the review though. Hope to see that in subsequent reviews here.
Wish they offered the 26650 option, even though it wouldn't be readily weapon mountable.

Nice looking light. Like their knurling style very much.

Still overstating the reach though, even though most if not all EC60 reviews have already confirmed CD to be around the mid 70ks, well short of the specified 90k.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Anyone know if the ACEBEAM L16 can take 2 IMR 18350s?

It says it can take 2 CR123s but obviously the voltage of 2 fully charged 18350s would be significantly higher.

I find the rubber cover of the charging port annoying. It comes off much too easily and lying opposite to the side switch means that my fingers are usually surrounding it, making it more likely to come off.

I'm not sure what purpose the clip is for (other than to be irritating). It wouldn't appear to make any difference to anti-roll and surely isn't necessary for clipping into jeans or clothes? It could snap off in doing so since its only retained by spring pressure. If I was going to attach it to my body, I'd do so via the holster.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the L16 just over a month ago. It is my first Acebeam. It is an incredible light. I am extremely impressed. The max output is ridiculously bright just as blinding as my new Eagtac SX30A4 XHP35 HI 4xAA. When I ordered the Acebeam I felt like I was taking to big of a chance and that it would turn out to be a dog. BOY was I wrong! My L16 has about as close to perfect build quality as one could hope for. I dig the design of the tail cap a lot. The UI is not bad it is just unique. My ONLY issue with the L16 is that the perfectly flush with the body side switch is very hard to find in the dark. But of course in that case the tail switch is super simple to find and use in the dark. I am keeping a very close eye on Acebeam. I hope they put an XHP35 emitter in their...oh darn it I cannot remember the model number..it is the Acebeam that is PD35 sized that also comes in brass. Acebeam does that and I will be first in line...

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Acebeam EC35, Acebeam is my favorite manufacturer at this time as I have not had any failure with their lights.
I got the L16 just over a month ago. It is my first Acebeam. It is an incredible light. I am extremely impressed. The max output is ridiculously bright just as blinding as my new Eagtac SX30A4 XHP35 HI 4xAA. When I ordered the Acebeam I felt like I was taking to big of a chance and that it would turn out to be a dog. BOY was I wrong! My L16 has about as close to perfect build quality as one could hope for. I dig the design of the tail cap a lot. The UI is not bad it is just unique. My ONLY issue with the L16 is that the perfectly flush with the body side switch is very hard to find in the dark. But of course in that case the tail switch is super simple to find and use in the dark. I am keeping a very close eye on Acebeam. I hope they put an XHP35 emitter in their...oh darn it I cannot remember the model number..it is the Acebeam that is PD35 sized that also comes in brass. Acebeam does that and I will be first in line...

psp300639

Newly Enlightened
Finally decided to get one... the Acebeam L16... But need to wait roughly two weeks for its arrival due to airline shipment restrictions... Unfortunately it was ship thru by seafare. Anyway, I like the tactical tail light rear switch which is simple to operate period. Unit can also handle 18650 button and flattop with ease likewise has front and rear spring for added protection. Basically the E60 model was tested and reviewed here in CPF before ... many thanks to the contributors. The similarities of the E60 and L16 is the same but in small form factor and the rest is self explanatory. Cheers

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
An excellent review here: https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/6qzsj1/review_acebeam_l16/
Looks like the review sample may be an under-performer: 515m max throw, or 66k CD compared to 95k CD advertised.
Something else may be going on with the review measurements: 1700 OTF max measured, compared to 1475 OTF measured by Vinh.
There's more. Vinh's modded version is measured @ 1700 OTF, but the measured throw is 663m or almost 110k CD.
Perhaps they're both off but at opposite ends?